Should we ban food stamps?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 30
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
I think food stamps should be banned because they encourage dependence on taxpayers without their consent and there are other ways for poor people to get food like soup kitchens, which are fine with giving food out to poor people.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
food stamps are a waste of paper! save the trees! who wants to eat stamps anyways?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@MisterChris
Funny.
Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Your proposition would require an amendment to the US constitution, which involves 3/4ths of the States voting for the Supreme Court to overrule democracy.
    Please explain how your disagreement over welfare policy rises to the occasion.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Conway
There are many federal laws not in the constitution.  An example is it is illegal to drive drunk in all 50 states.  This is a federal law that is not in the constitution.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheUnderdog
a handful of of people own half of the wealth of the planet.... yeah, people who need food stamps are the problem we should be talking about. 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
You don't build up the poor by tearing down the rich.  California tried that and their economy is going to fail miserably.
Conway
Conway
-->
@TheUnderdog
Food stamps are always part of a government program, and they have nothing to do with interstate travel. 

Your proposal necessarily involves prohibiting legislature from passing laws.   To do so requires a constitutional amendment.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Conway
Anyway, you're proposal necessarily involves prohibiting legislature from passing laws.
They just make a law that bans food stamps.  How hard is that?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheUnderdog
we've had food stamps for decades if not centuries, including other countries own version of it. food stamps dont cause ecnomies to collapse. if there's such a wide wealth divide, shouldn't we not be worried if people need food stamps? 

if land was divided the way wealth is, should we really be mad that we're giving hand outs to people who have no land, when a handful of people own half the land? wealth, resources, land.... it's all the same. 

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
If land was generated the same way wealth is, then places like the UAE would have to give much of the land that they generated to other countries to make it equal.  But taking from the rich keeps poor people dependent on the government.  It failed in California.  California has a failed economy because of high taxes and governmental programs.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheUnderdog
people dont strive to stay on food stamps. it's not worth it when they have resource and income limits. it's not worth being destitute just to get a little free food. most food stamps are time limited too. food stamps help those that are permanently unable to subsist on their own, and give temporary relief to most others. 

all you do is deflect and throw out a bunch of illogical arguments.  we are a soverign country.... it doesn't follow that me saying we should take care of our own means we should also give to other countries. it doesn't follow that because california is struggling that food stamps are a problem. food stamps are like a 100 billion a year of our budget out of a 25 trillion economy, and we also have vast surpluses of food. can you just be a humane human for a second and realize that if resources aren't distributed fairly that giving some resources to those who have none isn't such a bad thing? use logic this time. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Conway
Your proposition would require an amendment to the US constitution, which involves 3/4ths of the States voting for the Supreme Court to overrule democracy. 
    Please explain how your disagreement over welfare policy rises to the occasion.
I think he means means in general: feds should get rid of it and states should get rid of it
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
I've been on food assistance for 5 years now, and I am wanting for nothing. I could easily buy my own food, but it's so damn easy to skirt just below the generous poverty line and get free stuffs.

I also have free healthcare as well. If liberals wanna be dumb with money, I am going to take full advantage of them.
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
-->
@Greyparrot
A rightist that's on the government.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@BearMan
I also work for the government at an inflated rate. I am only allowed to work 2 hours a day to maintain my level of benefits. I laugh so hard when people think government employees like teachers are not paid enough.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
we are a soverign country
So what?

it doesn't follow that me saying we should take care of our own means we should also give to other countries.
We should trade with other countries to get them out of poverty.  We shouldn't give them free money.

food stamps are like a 100 billion a year of our budget out of a 25 trillion economy, and we also have vast surpluses of food
We can save $100 billion by implementing policies that allow the poor people to get food not paid for by the government.  They can go to soup kitchens that cook food that's expired for a day so it's not going to cost the federal government money.

can you just be a humane human for a second and realize that if resources aren't distributed fairly that giving some resources to those who have none isn't such a bad thing?
They can get food via charities.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheUnderdog
why should it be the responsibility of charity? this is an inequality at the root of our republic. the rules of the game are rigged. this isn't the problem of charity... it's the problem of the government. the social contract can only be fixed by the government. 
Conway
Conway
-->
@n8nrgmi
why should it be the responsibility of charity? this is an inequality at the root of our republic. the rules of the game are rigged. this isn't the problem of charity... it's the problem of the government. the social contract can only be fixed by the government. 
It's the responsibility of charity because you live in a decent society, and people have taken it upon themselves to make the distribution of food their business.  Asking why it should be is just kind of backwards.  I mean why would you ever feel the need to justify charity towards your fellow man?  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
If the majority of the people are not willing to be charitable, then a "charitable" government would logically be unable to exist in a democracy.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
why should it be the responsibility of charity?
The charity consents to give food to people.  The taxpayer doesn't consent.  Homeless people should get their food from charities.

this is an inequality at the root of our republic. the rules of the game are rigged.
Inequality is inheritably neutral.  If the poor in society make $15,000 a year and the rich make $1 million a year, that's better than everyone making $10,000 a year.  Inequality is inheritely neutral.  What matters is overall success.

In California, they tried to tax the rich a lot.  Their tax hike only effected really rich people which is what the progressives claim will happen.  The rich and people in general are fleeing to states like Texas, taking their jobs with them.  Hopefully Texas doesn't turn into California.  California has made people more equal ... more equally poor.  Bring Freedom back to California.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheUnderdog
your views are disgusting. you should be ashamed of yourself. 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
Why?  Ad hommin attacks are poor conduct.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
Charity in the hands of politicians becomes extortion for power. Vote for them or you get nothing.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
I think you should get off of welfare and become independent of government assistance.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
I'm doing my part to bankrupt bad policies.

It's my way of peacefully protesting against a welfare state. I take the money but I vote for the other guy.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
If your against welfare but on it and don't want to get off of it, that's hypocrisy.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
The best way to stop the welfare is to bankrupt the government. California is already considering slashing welfare. 

if everyone would simply join me in protest, we could bankrupt the nation in a matter of years.
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@TheUnderdog
Eh, the available evidence suggests that the program's pretty efficient and is supported by existing infrastructure. The evidence also suggests that problems like fraud and food stamp bartering exist but aren't substantial. It strikes me as an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sort of thing.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@TheUnderdog
If your against welfare but on it and don't want to get off of it, that's hypocrisy.
Only a fool would refuse to take free shit lol