What is evidence?

Author: Tradesecret

Total: 7
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
This topic is raised because it is often thrown out against the theist that they do not produce any evidence.  I am sure that the implication is that the atheist believes they raise evidence all of the time. 

And yet, it seems that, at least from my perspective that the so called evidence from the atheist is innuendo,  opinion, hearsay, and simply assertion. 

Sometimes there will be implied suggestions that a particular verse says something - but no real evidence to support what they are saying, save and except - they think they know what it means.  

So what is evidence? And what is reliable evidence? And what is compelling evidence? 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Tradesecret
It's not really about evidence.

Look, how often do I say, "The Truth is God" and "The Ultimate Reality is God"? How often do I point out that to deny this God's existence is a confession of nihilism?

Yet, who among these atheists will acknowledge God? None of them will. So naturally, they are nihilists.

You can't convince a nihilist of Truth because they don't believe in Truth. They will make pretense of being reasonable, they will use arguments they don't really believe in, they will present anything as evidence for the sake of sowing doubt. The point is not so much to lead anyone to The Truth. Rather, the nihilist simply acts drag everyone down to their level. It is all about destruction, nothing productive. 

The important thing to realize is that a nihilist doesn't have conviction about anything. It is an embrace of arbitrariness. If they feign conviction, it is always to tear something down. Oh, you think you are so moral? Well, I will feign a moral highground to silence you. Oh, you think you know something? I will feign having knowledge in order to silence you. It's all about censor. Destruction.

Nihilism is the doctrine of negation. It is death worship. Nothing about it is intended to be edifying. 

Hadn't you heard? Only a fool says in their heart there is no God. I wouldn't expect much from fools. At best, someone who doesn't know any better might come to the realization that they have been tricked into embracing nihilism. This only happens if the peraon who has been tricked actually does believe that there is Truth. Nihilists like to make appeals to facts and truth in order to lead people into what is ultimately a worldview absent of Truth.

Never underestimate the craftiness of the devil I say. 

RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
Great question. 

It would be nice to get a better understanding of what atheists would consider evidence. I don't think they know though.

It brings up the question, does a person need to be aware of proof, evidence, or anything in between in order for it to be as such? If an ant in a human created ant farm touches the glass with their antenai, are they touching proof, evidence, or anything in between of human creation? Or do they have to have the concious intellect in order for it to be as such?

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
"There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bushMoses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. ... Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God". Imagine if Moses had a smart phone. Now that would be evidence.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@FLRW
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@FLRW
"There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bushMoses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. ... Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God". Imagine if Moses had a smart phone. Now that would be evidence.
Evidence of what?  And moreover  in accordance with the topic - what sort of evidence? Would a photo of a burning bush not being burnt be accepted as reliable evidence? Especially in our day and age of fake news? 

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Photographic evidence totally not convincing in 2020