An Opportunity?

Author: RoderickSpode

Total: 16
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
It's a bit baffling the absolute insistence that Christians cherry-picked the (for lack of a better term) Jesus-peace-and-love NT era over (again for a lack of a better term) a polar opposite fascist-style OT era. My guess is that if the book wasn't labeled a religious document, or represented a political rivalry, I think people would understand this to be another example of simply solving a puzzle through among other sciences, the science of linguistics.

It's true Jesus never changes, but this does not mean nothing as expressed in the bible changes. There are seasons of change. The book of Ecclesiastes makes this clear.

Right now, if you're living in the free world, you're in a place for opportunity. You're not subject to any religious theocratic dictatorship. If you're looking for religious oppressors to harass you, particularly in America, you'll probably have to search far and wide. Maybe you can find some snake handler in the deep south to oppress you. But, don't cross your fingers.

What you're facing now is an opportunity to find God for yourself. No one is ultimately going to do that for you. The problem with doing this though, is you might actually find him.

I like to believe though, that those who participate on debate forums arguing against Christianity are actually seeking.

A question.

Which is preferable?

Living in a free pluralistic society where you butt heads with people you disagree with?

Or, a totalitarian dictatorship that tells you that you had better not even consider the existence of God?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@RoderickSpode
It's true Jesus never changes, but this does not mean nothing as expressed in the bible changes. There are seasons of change. The book of Ecclesiastes makes this clear.

Indeed. The author of The book of Ecclesiastes ( believed to be Solomon who comes across as suffering from deep depression) also makes clear the utter futility and meaninglessness of life as he saw it.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@RoderickSpode
I like to believe though, that those who participate on debate forums arguing against Christianity are actually seeking.
As are we all.

Hi Rod, good post.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@ethang5
Well, look who's back!
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SirAnonymous
Hi Sir. I never really left. I'm tempted to make the same fight as Trump against liberal bias and dishonesty, but I just don't think membership here is worth the bother.

I hope you are well.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ethang5
As are we all.

Hi Rod, good post.
Thanks Ethan!

Welcome back. Good to see you again.
Utanity
Utanity
-->
@RoderickSpode
I live in the free world and I am free to believe in God. In other countries you have to believe in God or else they will push you off a building which is wrong because they don't believe in the real God.
Castin
Castin
-->
@RoderickSpode
I feel like this thread is a response to something I missed.
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
Why did you take so long coming back! Been waitin', man.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
I could say the same thing to you!  You're one of the reasons I did decide to post again. I have not been disappointed.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Castin
I seem to recall he was in the penalty box for six months. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ludofl3x

And now he's back on his soap box telling anyone that will listed that they never understand the context of biblical verses or the bible in general? 

Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
I could say the same thing to you!  You're one of the reasons I did decide to post again. I have not been disappointed.
Aw, shucks. 

I've not been very active either, though. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@ludofl3x
I was asking why he didn't come back as soon as his ban was up. It's been several weeks. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
To these guys, a ban from the site is horrific. The worst thing that can happen to them. I remember Harikrish begging in a formal letter to the mods to be let back in, and Willows making more than 30 fake alts to break in and spam over and over. To them, access to the site is as desirable as gold. It's no wonder the mods eventually start behaving like they sit on a golden treasure.

But its good you're back posting. Level headed, humorous, objectivity is always in short supply. You have it worse than me. Your objectivity makes you hated by both extremes, theists love me.   ; )

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Castin
I feel like this thread is a response to something I missed.
Nothing that I'm consciously aware of.