GreyParrot - Hot Potato

Mafia
ILikePie5 - Popular
Crocodile - Hated

Third Party
Danielle - Mime
whiteflame - Mime

Notes:

The game was designed to instill doubt. Doubt in trusting results (insane cop + hidden miller) doubt in lynching people (mime) doubt in not lynching people (popular mafia) doubt in getting lynched (hated mafia) doubt in not getting lynched (mime) doubt in who to NK (hot potato) doubt in getting NKd (mime, again) even doubt in lynching correctly (seer)

I think it's pretty ironic that, even after a mime flipped, I'd say that, on the hole, this game had far less paranoia than your typical mafia game. Sure there was some rampant speculation regarding game mechanics and who was what, but actually getting someone lynched usually takes significant effort and the lynches in this game were pretty seemless.

Hot Potato

I needed a mechanic to induce paranoia in the Mafia NK and I really didn't see one that fit the bill appropriately, so I modified the Detonator role from EpicMafia into Hot Potato. Originally, the person who had the bomb at the beginning of the night was the one who was protected, not the person receiving the bomb that night. Grey pointed out to me that Mafia can just give the bomb to their NK target and eliminate it from the game. Since that would defeat the purpose of the role, we discussed how else the role could work without being a) useless or b) overpowered. In the end I decided to switch it to protect the person who was receiving the bomb that night.

This was after GreyParrot claimed Mason, but before DP1 had ended. It didn't affect any night choices and didn't kill or save anyone that would have been killed or saved otherwise. It did cause a hitch in GreyParrots game-play strategy but I don't think it had an overall effect on the outcome of the game.

That was the only mid-game change.

But it also wasn't the only reason the role list was getting updated. I update it in response to questions asked to make things clearer and add notes and such, so the modification check wasn't really confirmation of GP as I could have been updating it for other reasons.

All in all, I think things worked out well. GP is right that getting rid of the bomb eliminated Town's primary defense but it was interesting to see players eager to lynch with a known Mime in play.

I know how Jester-roles are much maligned here which is why I went for the double Mimes. I am glad that they were well received.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
Good game all. Was fun.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@drafterman
Did you make up this version of the seer? I was looking everywhere for a strategy guide on how to play it but couldn't find anything. I actually invented a role that functioned mechanically the same way years ago, however every time I was about to put it in the game I always backed out for fear I was over looking some loophole mechanic town could use to abuse it and ruin the game.

If you had this role how would you play it?

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Gg y’all !!
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@Lunatic
You saying you were a modified vanilla probably would've instantly given away to them that you were Seer btw
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Lunatic
He definitely didn't invent it because I've been toying with putting it into a game for a while now. I've never found an actually good strategy for it though lol
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@drafterman
Sad you beat me to using Seer
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Lunatic
It's a role from EpicMafia as well.

I would probably not change my game play because I always catch mafia anyway so it's indistinguishable from being told who the mafia are by the mod anyway ;)
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Speedrace
You saying you were a modified vanilla probably would've instantly given away to them that you were Seer btw
I was hoping that people would just assume that part wasn't included in the flip because why else would I limit my talking. No one mentioned it after I died so i assumed most people believed it
drafterman
drafterman
Note:

Contrary to my usual game design, I did not randomize all the roles.

Lunatic, GP, Danielle, and Supa were all hand selected to have the roles I gave them.

Thinking Elminster was a noob, I specifically gave him one of the Vanillas.

Everyone else was randomized.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Lunatic
Why'd you play it the way you did?

Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@drafterman
It's a role from EpicMafia as well.

I would probably not change my game play because I always catch mafia anyway so it's indistinguishable from being told who the mafia are by the mod anyway ;)

Lol would you seriously just straight push a lynch on them though and hope they dont guess its you? I guess that is an option lol.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Elminster
tHeRE cAn'T bE 3 vANillAS
Elminster
Debates: 0
Elminster
-->
@Speedrace
Yeah the mime flipped changed my mind on that as well. I woudnt expect 3 vanilla's in a cult set up but with them wanting to get lynched as a win con , it makes more sense from balance. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Speedrace
Why'd you play it the way you did?
Longevity. Drafter told me he specifically gave me that role to induce paranoia. Going into the game i figured everyone would have a blatantly paranoid-making role like mine so I figured saying a certain word and dying would fit that perfect and the graveyard would back me up when I die. Neither scum or mafia should have a reason to believe I was making the game harder on myself for no reason.

My plan was to town confirm both scum in my reads and slowly let my mind be changed by anyone who was suspicious of one or the other to look natural. Just basically needed to look "not" like a seer.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Speedrace
Get back to doing your homework dawg, I’m tryin to get a PM before I go to sleep
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Lunatic
Gotcha, lol I specifically remember back when you told me "Why is croc hard town?"

Tough game
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
Get back to doing your homework dawg, I’m tryin to get a PM before I go to sleep
Actually I'm working on the setup rn
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Speedrace
Gotcha, lol I specifically remember back when you told me "Why is croc hard town?"

Tough game

Sh1t, I thought I was killed because of that comment. I was worried I threw the whole game for town because I kept seeding doubt that croc was town lol
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
@Crocodile
Also why did y'all kill Luna and Mikal
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Speedrace
Also why did y'all kill Luna and Mikal
Lunatic cause we thought GP would recruit him to the Mason, plus he’s experienced and kinda was sus of us. Mikal to control the dialogue for future DPs, cause I was confident That1 was the Mime. I could kill any of the mimes because they had a BP so we’d have to manage 2 DPs to do anything with Mikal still alive. We knew we were kinda fucked as soon as Dani flipped Mime
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
Gotcha
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman
Game would have played out a lot differently had you revealed there were mimes at the start of the game to everyone.
drafterman
drafterman
What's the fun in that?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman
cause then people would be super paranoid and scared to lynch.

isn't that what you wanted? by DP3 the game was half over.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
cause then people would be super paranoid and scared to lynch.

isn't that what you wanted? by DP3 the game was half over.

Theoretically a mime would be killed DP1 or DP2 the latest (which I was) because they'd be trying to get themselves lynched as per the win condition. It's important to be lynched and not killed which was my biggest concern, hence why I claimed PGO. So by the end of DP2 you should absolutely know there is a mime in the game cuz one should be dead. Mafia could have deduced the mime was whiteflame over that1user and we would have lost, simple as that. I think it was a perfectly executed game mechanic here. 
Danielle
Danielle
Also I thought Elminster was scum because he completely lied about me "being on Facebook all day" lol I literally haven't gone on Facebook in months outside of responding to a message every few days via Messenger. He also said I was on Discord on and off when I wasn't. So I thought he was scum trying to get me lynched.  I really thought scum was between Elminster, Speed and that1user lol I would have totes fucked that up badly if I were legit town. 
Elminster
Debates: 0
Elminster
-->
@Danielle
But you were legit on facebook lol. You were active the entire time, and on discord. Kept showing you online in text chat in fb
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Elminster
It must show me logged in all the time then. I wasn't on FB at all (I may have signed in to Messenger for a second to see if I got any messages) and I signed on to Discord once for about 10 seconds at night.  Weird :)