Jesus Recruits Simon(Peter)

Author: Stephen

Total: 17
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
 They just cannot make up their minds, can they?  How did Jesus recruit the fisherman called  Simon and why did he feel the need to change his name? 

Matthew 4:18-20 & Mark 1:16-18

18  As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.

Then!

Luke 5:2-11

2 He saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. 3 He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.
4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”
5 Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”
6 When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.
8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” 9 For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.
Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.” 11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.

AND THEN!
John 1:35-42

35 The next day John [the Baptist] was there again with two of his disciples. 36 When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!”
37 When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. 38 Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?”
They said, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?”
39 “Come,” he replied, “and you will see.”
So they went and saw where he was staying, and they spent that day with him. It was about four in the afternoon.
40 Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. 41 The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). 42 And he brought him to Jesus.
Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).

Three entirely different accounts as to how Jesus met and recruited  his "rock"  Simon also called Peter.

Stephen
Stephen
The name change is never explained either. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Stephen
The name change is never explained either. 
Its not a name change- it is an epithet.  Petr just means "rock."  The same stem as petroglyph (rock carving) or petroleum (rock oil).   When Jesus says I will call you "the Rock" and upon this rock I will build my church he means it in roughly the same sense as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's usage- he's calling Simon strong and tough.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
None of those stories are inconsistent with each other.  

John seems to indicate a time before Jesus was known to Peter.  None of the other passages necessitate they were first meetings.  In other words, the Mark passage and the Luke passage both seem to have occurred after the events in John.  

Just because Jesus calls Peter to follow him on two or more separate occasions is not inconsistent. I often tell my children to do something more than once.  If you were to suggest that every time I repeated myself to them - was indicative that it was always the first time, then you would be incorrect. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@oromagi
Its not a name change- it is an epithet.  Petr just means "rock." 
 LOOK AT THE LAST LINE  OF POST ONE  it reads : Three entirely different accounts as to how Jesus met and recruited  his "rock"  Simon also called Peter.  <<<<< see that? 

Of course it was a name change. And Pertra/does mean rock as in turned to stone being PETRAFIDE.    But    Simon to Peter  he was from that time on and addressed as Peter throughout the rest of the scripture, right up until this day.  As was Didymus was better known as Thomas. As was Jacob to Israel as was Abram to Abraham . As was Jacob to Israel . This list of name changes is long. Here have a read and educate yourself: 

Abram  to Abraham
Solomon to Jedediah
Azariah to  Abednego
Barnabas  To Joseph
Naomi  to  Mara
Barsabbas to Judas
 Sarai to Sarah
Bartholomew to  Nathanael
Esther to  Hadassah
Daniel to  Belteshazzar
 Ben-Oni  to Benjamin
Dorcas To  Tabitha

Would you like to me to keep going!? 

I can accept that "rock" was more  a ` nick name' than a given name  as  scholars have been suggesting as such for decades.  And given those times it could well have been a code name such as Boanerges  to James and John AKA  "sons of thunder" thunder being   Zebedee..

My point is that we are never or rarely given the reasons for these name changes.  And there are almost 70 in the scriptures that I can remember.

Now can you take on the more difficult part of this threads anomaly and explain away the there  contradicting accounts of how Jesus actually  recruited Simon aka Peter aka "rock". 
Stephen
Stephen

Of course they are , stop being ridiculous.  If that is all you have then you have no further reason to post on this thread , have you Reverend.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Typically they are all versions of a previous tale....Which does explain discrepancies... Especially when you consider the slow and inefficient medium of data transfer.

All sort of semi-plausible until you factor in the magical fish bit.

Mythological pseudo-hypothesis as ever.
rosends
rosends
there is actually a medieval Jewish legend about how the name was changed, and IIRC, today is the anniversary of Simon Peter's death according to that legend.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
I wonder if God feels guilty for not giving Stephen an explanation?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5

I wonder if God feels guilty for not giving Stephen an explanation?

I wonder what it is god feels about you and your vile , disgusting and apathetic comments concerning the slaughter of millions of his own flock and their grieving families, at this very special time of the year for Christianity?
>>>>>>>>>#154

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
John seems to indicate a time before Jesus was known to Peter.  None of the other passages necessitate they were first meetings.  In other words, the Mark passage and the Luke passage both seem to have occurred after the events in John.  

Just because Jesus calls Peter to follow him on two or more separate occasions is not inconsistent. I often tell my children to do something more than once.  If you were to suggest that every time I repeated myself to them - was indicative that it was always the first time, then you would be incorrect. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5378/post-links/231861

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Just because Jesus calls Peter to follow him on two or more separate occasions is not inconsistent.
Just happening on  "Peter " real name Simon on a beach is not the same as having  "Peter" real name Simon introduced to you by disciples of John the Baptist, in the wilderness. 

Of course they are , stop being ridiculous.  If that is all you have then you have no further reason to post on this thread , have you Reverend
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Tradesecret
Only Stephen can see the inconsistency. He has special glasses.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Truly - you are not explaining yourself. 

I cannot see why Jesus was introduced to Peter in John and then later on saw him again. 

I think the book you are reading - your textbook on biblical mistakes - has misled you again. And this time - you have fallen hook line and sinker. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
And it is still more than you have. LOL!
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Just because Jesus calls Peter to follow him on two or more separate occasions is not inconsistent.
Those verses are from your own scriptures Reverend. If you cannot explain why one tells of an  chance meeting on a sea shore and another claims an introduction, then you have no business charging universities  to address and  lecture their students on scriptures that you know absolutely nothing about:

>>>"I don't charge students,  I charge universities when they request me to lecture to them". #20

Read then slowly for yourself. I have highlighted the relevant parts for you.

18  As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.

Luke 5:2-11

He saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. 3 He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.
4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”
5 Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”
6 When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.
8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” 9 For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.
Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.” 11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.

AND THEN!
John 1:35-42

35 The next day John [the Baptist] was there again with two of his disciples. 36 When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!”
37 When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. 38 Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?”
They said, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?”
39 “Come,” he replied, “and you will see.”
So they went and saw where he was staying, and they spent that day with him. It was about four in the afternoon.
40 Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. 41 The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). 42 And he brought him to Jesus.
Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
It is actually common practice in the church for someone to have their name changed on ordination.

The church fathers, even Augustine himself who had such an influence on the Latin church, took Simon Peter's confession as the rock. Simon Peter is not the foundation of the church.

The Apostle Andrew's nickname in the church is "the first called", so according to tradition he was the first disciple.