Whiteflame's Anime Suggesions

Author: whiteflame

Total: 14
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
I've watched quite a few anime over the years (full list here: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/whiteflame55), but picking out a top 10 is difficult for me. Used to have a clear set, but now, it's impossible to leave it to even that many. So, while I have a top 10 series (I'm giving those in no particular, though I do have some idea of how I'd rank them), I have to pick some favorite movies for a separate list.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (2008)

Hard not to love this bombastic, over-the-top series by Gainax. You might know them best by the work of another studio that spun off from them, Trigger (BNA: Brand New Animal and Kill la Kill). The animation is colorful and sharp, as in those series, but what really sets this apart is the emotional stakes baked into it and the incredible characters. It's a story of perseverance against impossible odds that always struck a chord with me.

Fate/Zero (2011-2012)                             

The series that would probably top this list, it's a Greek tragedy done up in the style of mages summoning some of the greatest heroes from history to do battle over the Holy Grail. No one in this series is free from guilt, and it's incredible to watch the characters bounce off one another and challenge each other physically, emotionally and psychologically. Never had a series before that just worked on every level so well. To top it off, the studio (Ufotable) is known for their superb animations, having recently done the adaptation of Demon Slayer.

Re:Zero - Starting Life in Another World (2016, 2020-2021)

Wouldn't have said this back in 2016, but this series is incredible. It does an amazing job developing its main character, and for a show with one major gimmick (return from death), it gets an amazing out of mileage out of it. The expanding cast only gets more intriguing and the show constantly keeps us guessing as it develops, never letting us or the characters get complacent. 

Made in Abyss (2017, 2020)

Another series that gets a lot of mileage out of a single gimmick, the whole series is built on the knowledge that there is a giant abyss and people go in to explore it for riches and fame. The whole series is built on the absolutely dismal realization that our lead character is after something she cannot obtain without condemning herself to death, it's really more about the journey than the destination, with every new level of the abyss being a tour de force in animation and the music being among the best in any series.

Code Geass (2006-2007, 2017-2019)

This series has a similar vibe to Death Note, though with a grander scale and mech battles to boot. The series gets going fast and focuses on a character who is caught up in a world where the British Empire never stopped expanding, and plays a deadly game of chess with people as pawns to exact revenge. Though it has its low points, it's riveting to watch the series play out, and has an incredible ending.

Cowboy Bebop (1998, 2001)

The absolute classic on this list, Cowboy Bebop is a must-watch for any anime fan. Space bounty hunters who absolutely do not get along going on adventures with an intelligent corgi and an eccentric young computer hacker, all with a dramatic and suspenseful through-line story, some great comedic side-stories, and characters whose interactions are actually more interesting than their personal backgrounds. With one of the best endings in anime and one of the greatest OPs of all time, it's worth your time.

Steins;Gate (2011, 2013)

Time travel is rarely done well, but this series bucks the trend. With a main character who is always a joy to watch and a twist in the plot that starts about halfway in, the series goes from fun exploration of a new technology to a suspenseful, high stakes thriller, this series constantly had me on the edge of my seat.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009-2010, 2011)

Honestly, I can't say anything about this series that isn't commonly known. It's the best all-around series for a reason. Everyone loves it. Watch it.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (2020)

This is the only series on this list that fits comedy and slice of life, but it absolutely deserves to be here. With some of the most innovative animation of any series, a trio of main characters who play off each other beautifully, and a plot line that never gets stale, this is a series that breaks down the process of making an anime while putting on a master class.

Mob Psycho 100 (2016, 2019)

Almost everyone should have heard of One Punch Man by now, and while that series is great, this one has it beat. Having a nearly all-powerful main character is a big risk, but this series manages to use it in an interesting and relatable way. The animation is incredibly fluid, the characters incredible, and the plot of the series, both in individual arcs and as a whole, riveting. Also, both of the OPs slap.

Onto the movies.

A Silent Voice (2016)

This movie came out at the same time as Your Name and largely got eclipsed by the other movie, despite being (in my opinion), the better of the two. Part of what makes this incredible is just how relatable its leads are, and though it's incredibly hard to watch in places, I don't think I've ever seen such an incredible display of human emotion. The animation is gorgeous, and though this is not an action set-piece, its sakuga is on par with the best shonen has to offer.

Summer Wars (2010)

I didn't expect to love this movie, but it drew me in and kept me riveted. In a story about a young man meeting the family of a friend of his and being introduced as her fiancé, the stakes quickly escalate as this story crosses over with a massive online world where a virtual intelligence basically tries to take over, wreaking worldwide havoc. The family is incredible, the animation brilliant, and the story had me on the edge of my seat throughout.

Howl's Moving Castle (2005)

Another classic and easily my favorite Ghibli film, this film manages its fantastical elements (one of the characters is living fire and another is a sentient scarecrow) while never losing track of the humanity in its leads. It has beautiful animation, and while the story can be confusing in places, it always yields meaningful sentiments that make sense of even the most outlandish of moments.

MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
Definitely adding these to my "need to watch" list

162 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Posting this even though it's dead, but Gurren Lagann is my favorite anime of all time

18 days later

drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@Vader
death note is the best
Vader
Vader
-->
@drlebronski
I’d disagree. It’s great, but not the best
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@drlebronski
Among psychological anime, Death Note has a claim to being one of the best, one that's well deserved. I wouldn't say it's objectively the best anime, though.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
danganronpa 1 is pretty good though i didnt like the ending much
Crocodile
Debates: 22
Crocodile
I've watched fate/zero and don't find myself to enjoy it over other fate series.

imo, fate ubw is better
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Crocodile
I've heard Unlimited Blade Works is good, though I'm reticent to pick it up. I watched the original Fate Stay Night when it aired, and it still rates as one of the worst anime I've ever seen. I know they do a much better job in Unlimited Blade Works, but the fact that it includes all the same characters still has me on edge. Took forever just to convince me to watch Fate Zero, and I clearly love that (easily my favorite series thematically).

9 days later

Vader
Vader
-->
@drlebronski
Heard the game was good but the show was pretty ass since Lerche did it, and I'm not too fond of Lerche's animation style

11 days later

RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
I would be extremely, deeply interested in seeing a remake of Bleach from Grimmjow's perspective.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
I would be extremely, deeply interested in seeing a remake of Bleach from Grimmjow's perspective.
That would be intriguing. I think seeing the story from the Hollow side, in general, might be an interesting place to go with it.

RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
Grimmjow was literally, objectively the most honourable of the Espada, he joined the Arrancar armies out of necessity as his kind were being preyed upon and felt they had no way out.

The Quincy were annihilating all Hollows after all and the soul reapers hardly sought to co-exist. Grimmjow saw nothing but pain and loss all around him in a world full of the strong preying on the weak, he was voluntarily sacrificed to by his clan because they realised neither of them alone was ever gonna be strong enough to handle the oncoming apocalypse of their kind. He devoured them and stayed true to them and even to his new allies no matter how much he despised them.

Aizen and the rest of the Espada are overall different brands of scumbag but Grimmjow demanded Orohime heal Ichigo before they fought (Orohime is someone Grimmjow had no obligation to be kind to at all, he protected her out of gratitude). He is honestly a very reasonable and honourable fighter and guy who is just made to seem manic and unrelatable to for the sake of justifying what the soul reapers do to all hollows.

Grimmjow would have been a much smarter leader of the Espada than Aizen ever was, Grimmjow wouldn't have ordered them to take on all the soul reapers at once, he'd have tactically taken on those they could take on bit by bit and inspired people to join him just by being badass and honest enough, especially if they fought with great fighting spirit, he'd spare them and offer them to join.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
I agree with most of this. However, I don't think he would have ever really wanted the kind of leadership position that Aizen occupied. He obviously liked having a team to work with, but I'm not really sure if you could say that he valued them tremendously. My impression was that he was always more of a lone wolf who allied with others out of convenience or necessity. I'm also not really sure what he'd do with it if he had the kind of total power that Aizen had over the Espada. I agree that I don't think he'd be nearly as stupid with it as Aizen was (in general, Aizen started to get real stupid during that arc), but he doesn't strike me as the type to execute tactical strikes against Soul Reapers. He also just doesn't seem like the type to get into the kind of situation that Aizen did. Grimmjow wouldn't have sought the King's Key, so that particular circumstance just plain never would've happened. Also, the impression I got from watching the series was that the Arrancar were satisfied having their own pseudo-fiefdoms or going it alone before Aizen came along. Even assuming they evolved in a manner similar to what we saw in the series without Aizen, I doubt they would have united under any Arrancar.