If something is the source for all your problems, will getting rid of it mean you have no problems?

Author: Wylted

Total: 5
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
It's in the title. For example if all your problems in life at the moment can be traced to heroin addiction, will getting rid of the heroin, mean you have no problems? What about with government? What if I can trace every political problem to a decision made by a politician? Would getting rid of politicians eliminate all political problems? If you are in a relationship with an abusive person and all your current problems come from them, would getting them out of your life, solve all your problems and make you problem free? I can come up with a million scenarios, but just want everyone's personal thoughts.

It seems to me that getting rid of the source of all your problems should make you problem free, but does it?
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
No. It's like eliminating a cause of death. People still gonna die.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Wylted
Drafterman is wrong, it would be like removing the source of all causes of death.

The answer is yes UNLESS the removal of this source has attached to it consequences that result in new problems.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Nothing gets rid of a headache like decapitation.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
I think you fail to give humans enough credit: we're usually complex enough that there is no one source for *all* of our problems. It could be said that all your major problems could be solved by addressing one root cause, but on some level there's still gonna be something, however negligible.