Best movie soundtracks?

Author: MisterChris

Total: 9
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
I'd say a contender for my favorite is the Thor movie soundtrack:

It's so grand and majestic with the brass instrumentation and big drums. As a former trombone player it definitely ticks all my boxes. 

What about you folk?

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
SHREK
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Sum1hugme
can't argue with this
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@MisterChris
Hard to beat Forest Gump for an absolutely amazing set of songs, though if we're talking about scores, I'd be between Schindler's List and Gattaca for my personal favorite.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Are we distinguishing original score from soundtrack?  Scores are performed for the occasion of the film while soundtracks precede the film.  Thor is an amazing original score while Shrek is mostly soundrack (although Eddie Murphy's covers are the highlights).

So, I might say The Graduate or Harold and Maude except that much of those were performed for the soundtrack.  Topsy Turvy is an all time fave but all of the Gilbert and Sullivan compositions are performed by actors for the movie. Clubfoot Orchestra's original score to Metropolis might be at the top of the list but it was written for the movie years later.  Fata Morgana is mostly soundtrack but the Master Musicians of Jajouka perfom the finale.  WIngs of Desire is mostly instrumental but Nick Cave gives a performance as himself in the film.  Most films with memorable soundtracks still have an original score, even if that score is usually less memorable.  If we keep strictly to curration of music that existed prior to the film:

2001 Space Odyssey

Apocalypse Now

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Big Chill

Jackie Brown

Boogie Nights

Pretty in Pink

Saturday Night Fever

Marie Antionette

Until the End of the World

MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@oromagi
I mostly mean those that were original compositions like as in Thor, or the Star Wars soundtrack. 

Good picks!
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
Field of Dreams, and Kingdom of Heaven. Also like the TV series soundtracks of Wild Palms, and Red Show Diaries. Have the CDs of all four
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
I think 'Dead Silence' has a neat soundtrack.
The theme song is the best of the bunch IMO.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Trent0405
I like this. Very cool vibes.