Grasshoppers Save Humanity?

Author: ebuc

Total: 24
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ_y9dFyX68

..."Grasshopper powder contains 72% protein, all essential amino acids, and a balanced ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.....
......by 2050 food production will have to grow by more than 70% to meet Earth’s human population, but the farmland needed to produce that food won’t exist. Much will have been drowned, desertified, degraded, and chemically euthanized. The old stand-by, beating forests into farmland, will have an uphill slog to find political traction in a time when trees are a critical part of the fight against climate change."......
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ebuc
.....or we could just eat the grain we would otherwise feed the locusts with the advantages of hundredfold efficiencies in caloric output and greater nutritional variation than just eating only  locusts.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@oromagi
.....or we could just eat the grain we would otherwise feed the locusts with the advantages of hundredfold efficiencies in caloric output and greater nutritional variation than just eating only  locusts.
I understand and that is partly why I became a vegetarian 40 years ago.  There is more to the grasshopper story regarding carbon sequestering.  I will have to reread the info sent to me to better understand what there points were regarding carbon.
Conway
Conway
-->
@ebuc
..."Grasshopper powder contains 72% protein, all essential amino acids, and a balanced ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids...........by 2050 food production will have to grow by more than 70% to meet Earth’s human population, but the farmland needed to produce that food won’t exist. Much will have been drowned, desertified, degraded, and chemically euthanized. The old stand-by, beating forests into farmland, will have an uphill slog to find political traction in a time when trees are a critical part of the fight against climate change."......
Any way we could move this up a bit?  I prefer popcorn.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ebuc

--> @oromagi
I understand and that is partly why I became a vegetarian 40 years ago.  There is more to the grasshopper story regarding carbon sequestering.  I will have to reread the info sent to me to better understand what there points were regarding carbon.

when YHWH sent the locusts he wasn't looking to feed the Pharoah. 

when one is pronouncing Moses with an O - moe-ziss
one should pronounce Ramses with an O- rah-moe-ziss
       as well
since both men shared the same egyptian name MSES
moses and ra+moses as brothers and at war
pete and repeat are sitting on a fence
I too ate veg for seven years
but then the ants intruded
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@oromagi
Yeah the ants are always with us, just like the poor.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ebuc
blessed are the ants in spirit
they shall inherit the earth
oromagi
oromagi
blessed are the locusts
they shall fatten our final days
oromagi
oromagi
blessed are the beetles
they shall let it be
oromagi
oromagi
blessed are the dragonflies
they shall be buzzed
oromagi
oromagi
blessed are the mantids
they shall be prayers
oromagi
oromagi
blessed are the fireflies
they shall be remembered
oromagi
oromagi
blessed are the roaches
filling our mouths
oromagi
oromagi
The Seven Beetletudes
ebuc
ebuc
WOW your own a scroll!
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ebuc
It's a fragment from the Dead Flea Scrolls
ebuc
ebuc
Your starting to bug me.  (((o))V((((o))) with flea fracking humor ape-man. :--) i (--:
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@ebuc
If you are on a desert island, the insects can indeed make a good source of protein as long as you cook them well to kill off the bacteria and viruses residing in them (bacteria primarily). That being said, learning to fish from the nearby ocean is a better way to go about things if you don't need to hide. Even though we are land mammals, fish are extremely good for us, it seems Darwin's theory has grounds to it (that we all evolved from sea creatures). 

There do exist people with allergies to fish (extremely strong if you do have it) however, there exist none with general digestive intolerance to them. Fish doesn't mean the shellfish or squid-like seafood, which we can be intolerant to.

We are extremely built to benefit from fish (unless we have the severe allergy) and the reason why doesn't make any sense unless our species evolved from something that relied heavily on fishing (or indeed dwelled within the sea itself).

One counterargument to Darwin's proposed path of evolution is that humans had to be near water sources in ancient times, which automatically meant we always were near fish even though we were land-dwelling. This definitely has some grounds to it and explains how those that digest fish well passed their genes on.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@RationalMadman
Complex-to-simple ergo human to porpose and then whale.

Fresh water[?} coral atolls of south Pacific would be great place for complex humans to evolve and proliferate into the ocean.

...."Cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises) are an order of mammals that originated about 50 million years ago in the Eocene epoch. Even though all modern cetaceans are obligate aquatic mammals, early cetaceans were amphibious, and their ancestors were terrestrial artiodactyls, similar to small deer."...

416 days later

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@oromagi
Actually it is more the spiders ---not the roaches---  that enter our mouths when we sleep, or so I recall reading some years back. We eat the spiders in our sleep, unintentionally closing our mouths and swallowing. I dunno
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@RationalMadman
And yes RM, I understand the pathways of evolution to whale are found in earbone canals of marsuples ---and the leftover bones of quadra-peds found in these earliest whale like creatures---    that lived near water and eventually spent all of their time in water slowly evolved the first whales that still had their hind legs.

That kinda of evidence is hard to dispute as to the orgins of whales from four legged land dwelling marsupials .

20 days later

Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@oromagi
Doesn’t the US pay farmers not to produce as much crop? If memory serves me correct on demand for crops go up with the rising population, we can easily produce more without destroying the farmers’ way of making a living for themselves.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Mharman
-->@oromagi
Doesn’t the US pay farmers not to produce as much crop?
Not this year.  Ukraine produces 7% of world's wheat but not much got planted this year. Africa's looking at a 40% in grain supplies next winter.  We should be positioning to overproduce for temporary new markets until Putin is dead.

If memory serves me correct on demand for crops go up with the rising population, we can easily produce more without destroying the farmers’ way of making a living for themselves.
Well, as the last couple of years of shown us, shifting the global supply chains is not as straightforward as supply/demand but US farmers do have some capacity to increase production to the extent that La Nina and significant drought allow.  

The real question is how do we decrease the World's population by 70-80% ASAP non-violently and without diminishing the quality of life for all?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@oromagi
The real question is how do we decrease the World's population by 70-80% ASAP non-violently and without diminishing the quality of life for all?

Bingo !  The 7.6 billion dollar question. :---) In 60's, 70's Fuller like to say that, we have 5 billion billionares on the planet, and we just dont realize that yet.

I forget how justifies his comments, but i'm sure was about doing more with less ---his ephemerlization-- and alternative sustain-able energy sources.