Should We Kill Whales and Dolphins?

Author: Mandrakel

Total: 7
Mandrakel
Debates: 0
Mandrakel
Take a look at dolphins. Really cute and inquisitive creatures that have an obvious affection and affinity with us humans. And that infectious never-ending smile on their dials shows that they are infinitely happy-go-lucky creatures.

But, wait a minute. Did you know that dolphins rank upon one of the ugliest, vial and cruel predators ever to swim the oceans? They commonly reproduce by means of the males of the species roaming around in packs gang-raping the females, often causing severe wounds or death. They also often "play" with infant dolphins like football, again, causing grisly fatal injuries. And, forget about that so-called "smile"....that just so happens to be the default biological shape of their mouths which of course, belies their cruel, bullish nature. Like any other animal that sucks up to humans, dolphins are after only one thing.....food. In any case it has been known that dolphins have frequently made vicious attacks on humans. So, could this be a case whereby we could do without such a lecherous, inharmonious species?

Whales on the other hand, are quite placid creatures that go about their daily business of feeding and reproducing without harming anyone. But then, so are cows and bulls, yet we breed, torture, bondage and slaughter them by the millions every year for beef and dairy products.
Think about it. Whale hunting was a big industry and many countries were built up on the trade of the many biproducts from whales; meat in many forms, fuel, medical potions, cosmetics. And all from one animal. Perhaps animal rights activists and blubber-huggers should take note that for every one hundred and fifty cattle we slaughter we only need to harpoon one whale to get the same yield. Worth thinking about; and we don't need to take up so much land and use so much fertilizers raising cattle that contribute more than cars to global warming due to methane emissions. Whales could be responsibly farmed in the ocean and be processed humanely and far more efficiently than the bovine alternative.

So, should we be doing the right thing and get rid of undesirable, cruel species (dolphins) and adopt more reasonable methods of farming protein and countless more biproducts (whales)? As for me, well, I'm going to hoe down into healthy bowl of miso with whale sushi and fried blubber puffs and watch a retro-series of Flipper on TV.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
In general or what? Should we kill some or should we absolutely rumble the upside-down upon them, murdering all of them?
Mandrakel
Mandrakel
-->
@Intelligence_06
In general or what? Should we kill some or should we absolutely rumble the upside-down upon them, murdering all of them?
I would never sanction the "murder" of any species. and I am merely putting a hypothetical out there to discuss.
In the case of dolphins, I really couldn't care too much if they become extinct anyway.
As for whales, any animal rights extremist would call the slaughter of any animal "murder", however I am suggesting the idea that it is smarter for us to humanely kill a whale for food and its byproducts instead of ruthlessly slaughtering 150 cattle to do the same thing.
And, how much farming, land occupation, cultivation and emission of greenhouse gases does it take to raise those 150 cattle compared with one whale?

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
Shit man, I wonder what you'd say about this other species I know.

They gang-rape, they pillage, they torture, they bully, they kill all other species as they please, they destroy entire habitats if they so feel like inhabiting an area, often out of greed much more so than anything resembling necessity and they make those sociopathic dolphins do somersaults and other tricks for their own enjoyment.
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Mandrakel
If we need to eat or  use their bodies for our needs. Yes. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Mandrakel
With no utilitarian purpose, no, we should not. We also should use more humane practices in harvesting meat, because of the 20-odd amino acids we require as our optimum protein-producing system, 4 of them are uniquely sourced in animals, not plants. Yes, the human body can get by, but not thoroughly thrive on vegetarian sources for those four amino acids. And, consider that in saliva is an enzyme whose sole purpose is to breakdown meat-based protein, which is the most difficult of our necessary diet to digest. Further, we are equipped with four canine teeth, the which only purpose in nature is the tearing of flesh. All other vegetable matter is adequately handled by the other teeth. Humans are structured to be omnivores.

48 days later

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I have heard so many stories of dolphins rescuing people. I feel really guilty, preparing and cooking them where I work. I refuse to eat them