How To Create a Religion

Author: Mandrakel

Total: 9
Mandrakel
Debates: 0
Mandrakel
It has been done before. There will always be some colorful charlatan who comes out of the woodwork to suck in a bunch of naive, gullible followers to believe and do exactly what he tells them. 

For example, we have seen the likes of Jim Jones and David Koresh who did more than their fair share of damage to society. Both shared the same characteristics; charismatic, narcissistic,  controlling and self-righteous. Each claimed to be the son of God. Yet, each of them offered a life of purity and an afterlife of bliss to their impressionable disciples and flocks.

In each case, the leaders (plus a heaping helping of their followers) met with a sticky and gruesome ending. What's the bet that oh, let's say, three hundred years from now, a bunch of hermits; outcasts from town, find a bunch of old Time magazines scrunched up like a scroll in their cave. One edition (November 1978) just so happens to depict the Jonestown massacre. The hermits go to a Greek publisher to tidy up the text a bit and print something that sounds a lot nicer.

The publisher says, "Hey guys, I think we're onto something here. Lets make this into a story of righteousness and everything that is good and sell it off as a blueprint for everyone to live by. Nobody can check on the authenticity since three hundred years have passed and, gee wiz, there are plenty of suckers out there who will believe it anyway. I reckon this book could make it onto the number one best sellers list."
The question is, could this happen?
After all, this has been done before.

Stephen
Stephen
The question is, could this happen?

It does happen. I think the most recent piss in the wind "new religion" is Kopimism and a boy named Isak Gerson is the"spiritual leader" of the Missionary Church of Kopimism where information is regarded as "holy". Make what you like of that, but it has  been recognised as a church and religion with no gods  or supernatural forces. But my concern with it already is that I believe that this will not stop just at freely "sharing" or copying information but also how young Mr Isak Gerson starts to see himself in relation to his followers in the future.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
@Mandrakel
Marketing ideology, is simply that......No different to selling snow to Eskimos, or sand to Arabs.

Clever people and idiots, as it were.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Marketing ideology, is simply that

Yep.

"Soon we will also apply for marriages, as well as for government support to expand our business."  

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
They were both Christians not sure they were that creative. 
Mandrakel
Mandrakel
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
They were both Christians not sure they were that creative. 
Both?
All three were Christians, if you mean Jones, Koresh and Christ.
And there is no reason to believe that there was any difference between the three of them.
Oh, except that we know Koresh and Jones actually existed.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Mandrakel
Christ was a Christian? 
Mandrakel
Mandrakel
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Christ was a Christian? 
Good question. I am making the assumption that Christ allegedly founded the Christian religion. It wasn't until some 300 years later that the faith was resurrected according to my knowledge.
Nevertheless, despite the flavor of the religion, each of the three founded cults and followed similar patterns.

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Mandrakel
Everyone can create a religion - it is called meism.  I am my own god and I can do whatever I want too.  I am the captain of my fate, the master of my destiny. I will follow my heart until it leads me to the right place - a happy place. 

Set up a website and a bank account.  Call yourself some trippy name - and Bob will be your uncle and your god if you like. 

Promise the world - and suggest it requires faith.