Author: ronjs

Total: 56
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
It's a bloke then?
The god of Abraham certainly prefers masculine pronouns.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@ronjs
So, why do people only use the Christian Gods name in vain, since none have addressed the question so far.
It’s because you live in a Christian majority country and you only speak english . It’s not that hard to work out.
It’s a cultural thing for the most part.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@ronjs
If you want to get scientific, swear words have been shown to reduce pain/anguish in volunteers. Saying/including God or god, may play into that.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I think what you actually mean is, some humans prefer to attribute said deity with masculine pronouns.

One could suggest that the birth of a universe was a very feminine responsibility.

Or a parthenogenic fusion of fundamental matter.

The GOD bloke in question, turned up a few billion years later.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@fauxlaw

If is, by utility, the most useless word in existence because it acknowledges only that which is currently not true. Not a great beginning to an attempt at logic.
I bet this sounded way more profound when you thought it up than it does in print. I have no idea what you're talking about. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
I think what you actually mean is, some humans prefer to attribute said deity with masculine pronouns.
No I said what I meant. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@ludofl3x
If there were one ideal climate, it would be easier to combat climate change. It is not true that we have one ideal climate for the whole Earth. Get it?

If wishes were fishes...

If Democrats and Republicans could cooperate...

If everyone could agree to be kind to one another...

There is no profound about it. This is basic stuff.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@fauxlaw
Sorry, that doesn't clarify what you meant by calling the word "if" the most useless in the language or whatever you said. Far less did you clarify how it applies to the topid or how it somehow doesn't make for good logic.  
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@ludofl3x
Since what immediately follows "if" is typically not true, whatever may follow as a then-statement starts out on the wrong foot; a not-true statement, making what follows the proposition a mere wish, and that may also fail to offer any solution out of the dilemma presented by the contradiction of the proposition and the wish.

A similar dilemma is present by what most people construct as a syllogism. In that case, the P1 & P2 must both be true in order for the C to be true, and even if P1 and P2 are true, C may still not be true. Syllogisms cannot be 3 sentences strung together; most are. A + B = C only works if the addition actually does equate to the sum. A syllogism is, in effect, a mathematic formula in words. Just so, an if/then is also mathematic wherein half of it is typically already known to be false.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@fauxlaw
"If god breathed the universe into existence, why would it give a shit who said its name when and for what in some distant corner of the universe?" is not an if then statement. It's a question.

I know what a syllogism is,, I just don't think "if" is as you describe, useless in logical discussion. I think it's only useless to people who can't use logic to ut their positions on solid ground.  
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@ludofl3x
"If god breathed the universe into existence, why would it give a shit who said its name when and for what in some distant corner of the universe?"
You have merely dismissed that "then" exists after the comma "," and before "why," whether you verbalize it, or not. Your "if" statement may still reside in the territory of not-truth simply because there is no evidence, to date, that the universe does, or does not precede God; that it is the universe, in fact, that breathed God into existence. Do not suggest that because Genesis says, "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth," and that lights were created in the firmament of heaven.  Is heaven consistent with the entire universe, or perhaps just our galaxy, or what?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@fauxlaw
All I did was ask a question, to which you don't have an answer or even a sensible guess, I take it. IF you did, THEN you'd have verbalized it (this is called an if then statement). Then you tell me not to suggest something (which you leave undetermined) because of something Genesis says. Your question about heaven is nonsense to me, I don't have any reason to believe it's real. I don't know what you're on about, but I know it isn't the topic. Why would a being so immense and powerful that it exists outside of spacetime and can breathe everything into existence and has a plan for each atom, why would such a being care about how a person on one of a trillion planets in some corner of an unremarkable galaxy uses any word at all? This is the question and it doesn't feature the word "if". Please take a stab at it. Or just do what I do when I don't know something: I say I don't know. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@ludofl3x
If all you did was ask a question, then why did you begin with “If God breathed...” only to conclude in your #42 “This is the question and it does not begin with ‘if’”  Sorry that I must point out that your question begins exactly with ‘if,’

The answer is in your question, “...why would such a being (God) so immense and powerful care about a person... at all?”  Because he can.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

Did a GOD say what Abraham meant?

Or did Abraham say what a GOD meant?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
Abraham didn't write Genesis. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@fauxlaw
The answer is in your question, “...why would such a being (God) so immense and powerful care about a person... at all?”  Because he can.
Cool answer, chief. Ok, so you don't know, right? THe question isn't about its ability to do so. It's about why he'd do so. It seems an awful lot like you giving a fig if some amoeba went around using your name to curse other amoebas. Why would you care? Speaking only for myself, I really don't give one thought to what bacteria say about me. Do you think it's a product of his omniscience combined with an inexplicably fragile ego maybe ? Like I don't care, but is that because I don't know what they're saying?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Neither did a GOD.

That would have been someone with the ability to transcribe and transliterate.
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@ludofl3x
With respect - you are presupposing that Fauzlaw's god does things in a human way. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
Just because gods don't write books doesn't mean assigning them gender or gender qualities is wrong. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ronjs
R: Why is it that the Christian God is the only one whose name is taken in vain?
A:  That is not true, two other major religions obey the same commandment.
R: All of which has nothing to do with the question
A: ?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
That's a truism if ever I heard one.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
Then quit asking me questions 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
My last response was rude so let me state this so you understand my perspective but I don't usually do this cause most of the time no one cares. In all the creation myths, and I mean where people are created not the planets or realms the gods make, a male god is involved. Usually more than one.  The reason I think this is, is two fold. One male gods are usually associated with air, thought, words and language. In almost every myth divine breathe is put into the vessel to bring life. Two, the vessel is made from Earth, which is female. So in the most known or discussed myth the God of Abraham (male) takes clay from the Earth (female) and forms a vessel that he speaks into existence of the way of breathing into the vessel. Hence the word often referred to. Same for Norse myth with Odin and trees (three gods in that one). Prometheus and Athena make man. In this case Prometheus fashions man and Athena is the breathe.  In Egyptian myth I believe it's a male god and clay again. So yes male gods can create without female gods. But in most cases the feminine element is Earth. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Debate website...Hence questions.

And be as rude as you like....I'm thick skinned.

Nonetheless, I do debateart because the exercise  is mentally stimulating.

And not wishing to be too gender specific, I have always assumed that you are female...So do you not see the misogynism in old GODS.

And not wishing to be rude at all, but your take on things as described, is far too spiritual and ethereal for a conditioned realist such as myself.

Human birth, life and death and all it's machinations ..... Are (as I see it) thus far, a short phase of a process, that is material evolution.....And though I loosely subscribe to a GOD principle, I see it as no more or no less than that which perpetuates material evolution....Maybe successively and infinitely.

And If I did not care, I would not bother.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
And not wishing to be too gender specific, I have always assumed that you are female...So do you not see the misogynism in old GODS.
I know some gods can be misogynist and some have been rewritten that way by men who are basically Christian.  There is a book I want to get called The Alphabet vs. The Goddess by Dr. Leonard Shlain. He discusses that since most are right handed that writing stimulated the left brain and that is the masculine side of the brain. There for the goddess and women have been reduced in society with the increase in the written word. He also goes on to say both significant women's movements came from the increase in picture communication, Suffragettes with photography and the 60's with TV. 

And not wishing to be rude at all, but your take on things as described, is far too spiritual and ethereal for a conditioned realist such as myself.
Sorry if the message of where the feminine come in is hidden too deep in woowoo for you.  Sometimes male is confused with masculine and female with feminine. Polytheist religions often give gender to qualities more than a body type. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Your brief summary suggests to me that Dr Schlain, sort of states the obvious....And perhaps for you, is just an enigmatic confirmation of some of your own ideas.

Cynically I would say that any book these days, is primarily motivated, by marketability and target audiences, rather than the altruistic spreading of wisdom.

And for sure, attributing gender to objects is commonplace, just look at the French language for example.

As a schoolboy, I never understood the French need for such distinctions....The masculine cat, tom or she, sits in the feminine chair.....Bizarre and unnecessarily complicting, for an already conditioned realist such as myself....The cat, and the chair, will suffice.

I know, I know...Conditioned English bias.