Welcome to DebateArt.com! (satire)

Author: gugigor

Total: 12
gugigor
Debates: 41
gugigor
Warning: this entire post is satire and shouldn't be taken seriously. Enjoy and have fun reading.

Hello, you. Did you want to debate? Did you want to improve your communication and research ability? Did you want to outwit everyone at every topic? Well you've come to the wrong place. DebateArt.com is a silly website where people are supposed to debate serious topics but most times it never happens. Let me introduce to you the main features of DebateArt.com!

Forfeits

Did you expect your opponent to be strong and powerful most of the time? That's not happening. Just look at the top debaters on the leaderboards. Oromagi, the number one on leaderboard, his wins are mostly incompetent fools who barely try or forfeit nearly all the rounds. And the other top 10 aren't much better, preying mostly on really weak arguments and rigged topics that are nearly impossible to win. 

That One Voter (if Feature 1 fails)

Occasionally you will get that one somewhat quality debate where the opponent *doesn't* forfeit. But sadly most voters are too lazy to read debates and will result in a no-vote tie. That's when our hero -- one of the top debaters as well -- Whiteflame comes to save the day, almost always willing to judge any debates! Just learn how to get on his good side and what he values, and you'll win most of your debates. Maybe this website should be called convince_whiteflame.com instead.

Mafia

While other sites have forum mafia, DebateArt's mafia game is notable because it's the most active forum, and perhaps even more active than the debating portion of the site! You thought you were gonna be arguing over the most recent economic policy? Say goodbye to your policy debating ability, and say hello to bluffing and deducing about people's roles! 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
You thought you were gonna be arguing over the most recent economic policy? Say goodbye to your policy debating ability, and say hello to bluffing and deducing about people's roles! 
and thats a bad thing??
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
lol im kidding i know its satire
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@gugigor

Occasionally you will get that one somewhat quality debate where the opponent *doesn't* forfeit. But sadly most voters are too lazy to read debates and will result in a no-vote tie. That's when our hero -- one of the top debaters as well -- Whiteflame comes to save the day, almost always willing to judge any debates! Just learn how to get on his good side and what he values, and you'll win most of your debates. Maybe this website should be called convince_whiteflame.com instead.
Hmmm... can't say I've ever gotten him to vote on one of my debates. Wouldn't put it past him to collude with debaters, though. Guy's a menace.
FourTrouble
Debates: 8
FourTrouble
-->
@gugigor
Maybe this website should be called convince_whiteflame.com instead.
This is probably a good way to get a win. Debate to your audience. 
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@gugigor

yeahhh.... Once school ends, I want to start voting more. I'm unable to at this time though.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Forfeits

Did you expect your opponent to be strong and powerful most of the time? That's not happening. Just look at the top debaters on the leaderboards. Oromagi, the number one on leaderboard, his wins are mostly incompetent fools who barely try or forfeit nearly all the rounds. And the other top 10 aren't much better, preying mostly on really weak arguments and rigged topics that are nearly impossible to win. 
That is me.

I just realized that I have essentially roasted the person who posted this.

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I’ll agree voting is weak - no satire. In 1 year, I have 10 ties. 7 are no vote ties. 
whiteflame
whiteflame
So... I know that this is me buying into the "That One Voter" section a little hard, but for those who do want votes on their debates, there's a limit to how many I can do, but I do get to debates on which people ask me to vote. Not saying it's a guarantee, but voting is pretty much all I'm doing these days on the site, and I'm embracing it.

If you are interested, just PM me.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@whiteflame
Agreed, for sure.  Voting is such a chore.  

I try to make my debates as easy to read as I can, although I have a tendency to get wordy at times.  I should vote more, although the reason I don't is because so few debates interest me.  And those that do, are written badly.  

In my experience, and maybe this is something you've experienced as well, most debates did not need to be more than three rounds.  If they are, little if anything productive is said in the fourth or later rounds.

I also find that debates with long character limits (especially those with more than 10k characters per round) are incredibly tedious to read, as well.  Not only could 4/5ths of the content been cut, it should have been.  

I further find that debaters really struggle to debate their actual resolutions.  They don't seem to understand the resolution and don't seem to have thought about it much, if at all.  They seem to view resolutions more as a "statement of a topic," as opposed to a claim to be affirmed or negated.  This is like listening to music out of tune for me.  

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@coal
I try to make my debates as easy to read as I can, although I have a tendency to get wordy at times.  I should vote more, although the reason I don't is because so few debates interest me.  And those that do, are written badly.  

In my experience, and maybe this is something you've experienced as well, most debates did not need to be more than three rounds.  If they are, little if anything productive is said in the fourth or later rounds.

I also find that debates with long character limits (especially those with more than 10k characters per round) are incredibly tedious to read, as well.  Not only could 4/5ths of the content been cut, it should have been.  

I further find that debaters really struggle to debate their actual resolutions.  They don't seem to understand the resolution and don't seem to have thought about it much, if at all.  They seem to view resolutions more as a "statement of a topic," as opposed to a claim to be affirmed or negated.  This is like listening to music out of tune for me.  
Speaking as someone who is almost always more verbose than he has to be... yeah, I'd say I agree with basically everything here.

Some debates can be a chore to read through because they just aren't that interesting or cover ground that's so extremely well trodden that all you can see is what's missing, but aside from some recent repetition, I haven't found it too terribly difficult to find something interesting in each debate. It helps that I've kind of made a side-hustle out of breaking down arguments.

I can recall scant few debates that actually required more than three rounds. Hell, I can recall more than a few that could have been two. I've had instances where I've skimmed the latter rounds, noticed that they didn't add anything meaningful, and just left them out of an RFD entirely. Seeing some changes on that front, if only because I'm starting to see some people shifting to a more crystallization/weighing-heavy final round, which is my jam. Similarly, agreed that anything over the 10k limit is usually too much. I keep thinking back to when I was doing live debating, and though I know my arguments weren't as tight in those rounds, I'm sure I didn't do anywhere near as much talking as I do writing, and in many ways, I think I was more effective.

But yeah, that last one is particularly troublesome. Even if they do understand the gist of the resolution, it's amazing just how often certain specifics that are essential to the debate just don't even get discussed. One of these days, I'd just like to post something all about resolution and burdens analysis because they're often not great, if they exist at all.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic