Beekeeping AMA

Author: Kamikaze

Total: 8
Kamikaze
Debates: 1
Kamikaze
Hello! I've been a beekeeper for three years now, and I thought it'd be fun to do an AMA! 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Kamikaze
Does a single hive make sense to maintain, or do you suggest several?
Kamikaze
Debates: 1
Kamikaze
-->
@fauxlaw
Good question! A single hive is good enough to maintain, but I, and nearly every beekeeper I've met, recommend at least two hives. That way, you can compare them and see which one is doing better than the other. Then you can get a better idea of what a strong hive and a weaker hive look like. You can also try to figure out ways to strengthen the weaker hive as well. Hope that answered your question! :)
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Kamikaze
Indeed, thank you. About how many bees will typically inhabit a hive? Also, I live at an elevation of 7,500 ft in the Rocky Mtns. Does that make a difference? I've seen bees at higher elevations, but don't know if they inhabit those elevations.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Kamikaze
Why are you a beekeeper?

The two answers I'd expect are either it's a living, or it's a hobby,
But sometimes people describe their pursuits in a different way than I'd look at them.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
Can European bees become Africanized on their own? One of my close friends kept bees for many years, and shortly before getting rid of them they had gotten far more aggressive than they were initially. I thought they had possibly been Africanized but didn't voice that because I don't actually know how the process works and didn't wanna sound stupid
FourTrouble
Debates: 8
FourTrouble
-->
@fauxlaw
I'm in Colorado at the foothills of Rocky Mountains. Been beekeeping for a couple years as well, after a wild swarm randomly showed up on a tree in my backyard. I caught five other wild swarms after that. You could try catching one, see what happens? If successful, a wild swarm should be able to survive at your elevation.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@FourTrouble
Good suggestion.

I transferred to Boulder for business for four years in the 90s. Delightful area but for the politics. You may be familiar with the "39 square miles surrounded by reality."