The Three Body Problem/Remembrance of the Earths Past series

Author: thett3

Total: 11
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
Anyone read these books? I read them about two years ago and am fixing to reread them sometime later this year. I thought they were wonderful, although the third book was a bit messy. I actually liked the second book the most which is traditionally the weakest episode of a trilogy. If you haven't read them I would definitely recommend 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@thett3
Are you a Southerner? I'm not, but my Mother-in-law is from NC, and she says she's fixin' to do something all the time.  I wish I spoke like that. Not a criticism, just don't hear it much, unless I'm in the South, so it must be a regional dialect thing. I'm from CA, and our boring speech has no flare at all.
thett3
thett3
-->
@fauxlaw
I want born and raised in Texas, and unfortunately the Texas accent died out a generation ago (at least where I live) so my speech is super boring and flat and sounds like my Californian parents. But some dialect stuff does survive like “y’all” or “don’t got” 
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I read the first one and absolutely loved it. I have the Dark Forest somewhere but just haven't had the time lately. I couldn't get past the stupid bit about the ants either, the time I did pick it up.
thett3
thett3
-->
@badger
Lol I have a weird obsession with ants so I actually liked that part. One time in middle school this girl who I thought had a crush on me saw me checking out a book on ants at the library and never talked to me again lol 

I really enjoyed the second book. I think some people didn’t, though. It’s definitely different than the first one for sure 
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I will definitely get back to it and I did actually love the first book. I guess I was just was not in the right headspace for that anty point of view and trying to follow along with those shapes or whatever it was.  The first one was mind-bending enough too actually, I guess my brain had a better idea of what it was in for this time and noped the fuck out early haha. I'll brute force it over the summer now maybe.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@thett3
By my Mother-in-law's influence, I say "y'all" all the time. 

The accent is gone in TX [some regions]!? Wow. Haven't been in TX since the 90s. GA. FL, yeah, but FL seems more NY than South. All the retired snow birds, I guess.
thett3
thett3
-->
@fauxlaw
It has definitely died out in the major cities. The only people in my generation who had it were transplants from the country side. It seems like regional accents are just dying in general in America. Even when I go to rural areas it’s not very common for young people to have even a mild accent. The southern accent is stigmatized though so maybe other accents are stronger 
thett3
thett3
-->
@badger
Let me know what you think of it when you read it 
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@thett3
Southern grammatical structure is like listening to Swiss German.  It's understandable, but the dialect is so different it's almost its own language in some regions.  
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@thett3
will do.