41st Anniversary of Ian Curtis's Death

Author: coal

Total: 3
coal
Debates: 6
coal
 Ian Curtis was a singer, song-writer and musician.  He was the lead-singer and frontman for the post-punk band, Joy Division.  

Curtis committed suicide on May 18, 1980.  He suffered from epilepsy and depression.  Curtis's short time in music changed its course forever. 

Ian was survived by his family, his music and the legacy he left behind.  Lyrics to the songs he wrote have inspired generations.  His lyrics had a depth and resonance few appreciated at the time.  Some thought he was joking.  He was serious.

• The best song he wrote, in my opinion, was Ceremony.  Few recordings survive, and he never settled on the final lyrics.  This version was recorded at Birmingham University, and remastered in 2007.  
  • My other favorite song was Shadowplay, with Ian on lead vocals.   The Birmingham University version is excellent, although the 2007 remastered Unknown Pleasures (album) version is of considerably higher quality. 
Rest in peace, Ian. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@coal
For sure R.I.P Ian Curtis.

It's interesting how we are variously inspired by music and musicians.

I an British, and I was 20 years of age in 1980, so you would perhaps expect me to have strong memories of Ian Curtis, Joy Division and their music...But I have none, other than of the Band named Joy Division, and the name's infamous associations with the Nazi era.

My musical preferences had already been shaped I suppose.

Nonetheless I will respectfully pay Youtube a visit and have a listen.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@zedvictor4
Excellent reply.  

I wish more people knew about them.  A former member of DDO introduced them to me.  They've become my all time favorite band.  

I've got framed first edition of Unknown Pleasures on my wall.