Lonesome Dove

Author: thett3

Total: 5
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
Anybody read this book? I would say it’s probably my favorite book of all time. The characters felt like real people in a way I haven’t seen before or since. Would highly recommend it, even though the first 100 pages are a bit slow (which says a LOT lol. The book is close to 1000 pages) 

Also the 80s miniseries with Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall was excellent as well. Would highly recommend it if you don’t want to work through a 1000 page epic 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@thett3
I've read Terms of Endearment and Last Picture Show by McMurtry and his Custer biography but not Lonesome Dove.  I did see the mini-series and I agree that's excellent. I still have never seen Hud in spite of many recommendations.

28 days later

EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@thett3
Haha I was glad to see this, I watched Lonesome Dove the series because someone mentioned it to me and I thought it was fantastic. It depends on who you are though, I wouldn't think the younger generation would be much into it but I'm kind of old school in a way. It's old fashioned and obviously western, but has some twisted content along the way. I say it's fantastic because it keeps you watching it, and the character Robert Duvall plays makes you really want to invest time in completing the series. IMO he kind of made the movie what it is.

I didn't even know at the time there was a novel written, I told my wife she had to watch the film with me but she found out there was a book and decided to read it first. Like you, she was captivated with the book and couldn't wait to watch the series to see if it would hold up. I was surprised how fast she knocked out the book! (it must be good)....She loved the movie, but felt the novel was a bit better. She thought Duvall did an excellent job, she did hate the character that played Jake Spoon lol, so did I. That was her biggest thing, she thought he didn't fit the part well compared to the book. Diane Lane is one of her favorite female actresses and to me she played a great role in that movie. 

Anyways my wife and I like to break out the DVD from time to time and sit through it, I think I finally got sick of it after watching it a hand full of times but honestly I love the old style slow scene movies. Nowadays movie scenes are just too fast and jumpy it gets on my damn nerves. Everything seems to go too fast, I mean endless panning is cool and all but it's overdone in a lot of cases. Especially fight scenes, I love martial arts movies too but the modern ones, they are just too jumpy most of the time.
I have yet to read the novel, not sure if I will TBH....It seems like I'm already familiar with the story but my wife swears the book is really good. Do you think it's worth reading after seeing the film 5 or 6 times?

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@EtrnlVw
One thing that really struck me when I watched it (compared to modern shows) was the lack of sex scenes. They would just close the door and that was all that needed to be said. If it were made today there would be graphic sex scenes that I don’t want to see and that take up tons of time

7 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@thett3
Few years ago, I had a coworker who recommended the 80s miniseries.
So I bought the DVD, watched it, didn't care for it much, I don't recall why.
Gave them the DVD.