Ethics Forum

Author: Sum1hugme

Total: 5
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
I would like to know what you believe about ethics, and what motivates you to act morally. 
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Sum1hugme
My ethics?
Wide question, here's one.

I think it's generally bad form, to be rude to another person.
I think such, because I was taught such, because it's my habit, because I possess empathy, because I find it unpleasant on myself, or to see in others, additionally rude behavior is often bad game theory, makes people hate you, not help you, be rude to you.
I suppose even with or without 'with empathy, people can take enjoyment in others pain, not care how others mind them, or view it as an advantageous game theory to belittle and bully others.

I don't always succeed in not being rude, but I see politeness as something worthwhile.
Though maybe if I was rich or powerful, I'd no longer see it's worth,
I 'd like to 'think I'd keep to politeness though.
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I just generally like people really. I have dark thoughts and a streak of vicious pride in me, and there's a dark opportunism in me for sure, but for the most part I just generally like people. And that's about all of my morality, a friendliness I guess. I would say my empathy is shallow, too, honestly. But then everyone's must be, because otherwise you'd drown in it, in this world. I have deep familial love in me. I came home drunk and a bit coked out of it honestly and watched Warrior last Friday and cried a bit honestly. Great movie. I have done some wildly violent things in this life and still consider myself a good person, or no less than you at least. 
badger
Debates: 0
badger
Pride is my sin for sure. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Sum1hugme
@badger
It is not necessarily sinful to be proud....Though the object of one's pride might be ethically questionable.

It would be more sinful perhaps, to accompany pride with arrogance.

Nonetheless, concepts of sin, range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Ethics is basically the transfer of data (codes of conduct) from generation to generation, which can be modified to suit the current trends and objectives, of human society and human sub-societies.....Therefore ethics are variable.....Global attitudes towards homosexuality would be an obvious example of changing and variable ethics.

Morality should be about respecting others and others respecting you....Though this is often not the case.....We have a tendency to be imbued with arrogance and self-righteousness.....Which in fairness, is probably an inevitable modification of our survival instinct.