Kammie lays [another] egg

Author: fauxlaw

Total: 27
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
Kammie refuses appearance at the site for which the President has ceded her the duty: handle the Southern border crisis. That's OUR border, yeah?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@fauxlaw
The Biden Administration's position seems to be that you can't solve migration across the Southern Border by slowly building the most expensive walls in world history and corrupt fundraisers featuring racist rally rhetoric.  Harris is working to restore some of the anti-corruption and economic development measures that proved fairly effective during the Bush and Obama administrations (and that Trump defunded)  while continuing the maximal refusal policy of the Trump admin.

So, as Trump/Pence could never have done during the whole of their administration after offending both nations with anti-diplomatic insults,  Harris is in Guatemala today, Mexico tomorrow working at the root of the problem rather than managing the most cosmetic symptom for the satisfaction of FOX news pundits.

We should note that Texas Gov Abbott has specifically asked Harris not to come to Texas which represents 2/3rds of the border and the AZ Gov has been too contemptuous of Harris to warrant a visit.  I would not be at all surprised if Harris visits the border in NM or CA on her return from Mexico, given current FOX news focus on the issue.

NY TIMES:
IN GUATEMALA, HARRIS TELLS UNDOCUMENTED to STAY AWAY from US BORDER
IN HER FIRST FOREIGN TRIP as VICE PRESIDENT, KAMALA HARRIS PROMOTED ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT and ANTI-CORRUPTION EFFORTS, TRYING to STEM the NORTHWARD FLOW of MIGRANTS

GUATEMALA CITY — During her first foreign trip as vice president, Kamala Harris said the United States would bolster investigations into corruption and human trafficking in Guatemala, while also delivering a clear, blunt message to undocumented migrants hoping to reach the United States: “Do not come.”

Ms. Harris issued the warning during a trip that was an early yet pivotal test for a vice president currently tasked with the complex challenge of breaking a cycle of migration from Central America by investing in a region plagued by corruption, violence and poverty.

While President Biden campaigned on unwinding some of the Trump administration’s border restrictions, allowing migrants to apply for asylum at the U.S. border, Ms. Harris amplified the White House’s current stance that most of those who crossed the border would be turned away and would instead need to find legal pathways or protection closer to their home countries.

She did not shy away from brusque language when it came to discussing corruption with the Guatemalan president, Alejandro Giammattei, who has been criticized for having a political agenda and for persecuting officials who fight corruption.

“We will look to root out corruption wherever it exists,” Ms. Harris said, adding that the administration would support an anti-corruption unit in the attorney general’s office in Guatemala that has been the subject of criticism from Mr. Giammattei. “That has been one of our highest priorities in terms of the focus we have put here after the president asked me to take on this issue of focusing on this region.”

Ms. Harris, whose own aspirations to the presidency are clear, was tapped by Mr. Biden to invest in Central America to discourage the vulnerable from making the dangerous journey north. Mr. Biden has faced criticism from Republicans and some moderate Democrats in the early months of his term for the soaring number of crossings of unaccompanied minors at the U.S.-Mexico border.

But the Biden administration has continued to use a Trump-era rule to turn back most migrant adults, sparking backlash from human rights groups.

Rachel Schmidtke, the Latin America advocate for Refugees International, a pro-immigrant group, said in a statement Monday that the organization was concerned Ms. Harris’s remarks discouraging migrants from trying to cross to the border undermined their right to seek asylum in the United States.
Editors’ Picks

The vice president’s top aides have sought to differentiate her role from the political land mine of managing the border, instead saying her focus is on working with foreign governments to bolster the Central American economy and create more opportunities for people who now see fleeing to the United States as their best option.

Ms. Harris announced new steps in the effort on Monday. The Biden administration will deploy homeland security officers to Guatemala’s northern and southern borders to train local officials — a tactic similar to one used by previous administrations to deter migration. The State and Justice Departments will also establish a task force to investigate corruption cases that have links to Guatemala and the United States, while also training Guatemalan prosecutors.

“We did have a very frank conversation about the importance of an independent judiciary,” Ms. Harris said. “We had a conversation about the importance of a strong civil society.”

For his part, Mr. Giammattei described the accusations against him as “misinformation.”

He also said that while meeting with Ms. Harris he once again requested the Biden administration temporarily exempt some Guatemalans from deportation by granting protections normally issued to those fleeing natural disasters or war, citing hurricanes that hit Central America last year. When he asked Ms. Harris about the subject in front of reporters, she did not directly respond.

The Biden administration also outlined an investment of $48 million in entrepreneurship programs, affordable housing and agricultural businesses in Guatemala, part of a four-year, $4 billion plan to invest in the region. Ms. Harris last month touted commitments from a dozen private companies, including Mastercard and Microsoft, to develop the economy in Central America.

But hanging over those programs are questions about how to ensure that U.S. aid benefits those who need it most, and not just contractors enlisted by the United States or Guatemalan officials.

Guatemala in 2019 expelled a United Nations-backed anti-corruption panel, known as Cicig, which worked alongside Guatemalan prosecutors to bring corruption cases but was also accused by conservatives in the country of having a political agenda.

Ricardo Zúñiga, Mr. Biden’s special envoy to Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, described such independent anti-corruption panels as “very successful efforts.” But Ms. Harris’s team stopped short of saying they believed Guatemala needed an independent entity to investigate corruption.

“The point is that there’s not one specific model,” Mr. Zúñiga said. “The point is to provide support to the people within the government, or within the institutions, judicial institutions, mainly, who have the will and the capacity to drive those cases forward.”

Ms. Harris made a point in her opening remarks to focus on encouraging would-be migrants to stay closer to home while applying for permission to enter the United States and waiting to receive replies. Days earlier, her top aides announced plans to establish a new center in Guatemala where people can learn about obtaining asylum protections or refugee status while still in Central America, rather than traveling to the U.S. border.

“Most people don’t want to leave the place they grew up. Their grandmother. The place they prayed. The place where their language is spoken, their culture is familiar,” Ms. Harris said. “And when they do leave it usually has to do with two reasons: Either they are fleeing some harm or they simply cannot satisfy their basic needs.”

In Chex Abajo, a mountainside village 155 miles away from Guatemala City, where Ms. Harris spoke, Nicolás Ajanel Juárez, said his community is unable to secure such necessities, despite promises made by various American presidents.

The village of Indigenous corn farmers embodies the daunting task facing the vice president. Mr. Juárez, a member of the local leadership, said many of the 600 residents watched as their homes were blown away in twin hurricanes. Profits from corn crops are no longer reliable as climate change has extended the dry season.

Many families in the village rely on remittances from relatives in the United States. Those whose standard of living has been raised by U.S. wages have larger homes made of cement and iron, marked with stars and American flags. The main road in the village is called “Ohio” because of the number of migrants who have found work landscaping in that state.

Mr. Juárez, who crossed the border three times in the last two decades, said that until the community members have stable work migration to the United States will continue.

“It would be best if help can come directly instead of through government because that’s where it gets lost,” Mr. Juárez said against music playing for a nearby ceremony memorializing a member of the community who crossed into the United States and died two years ago. “Politicians don’t know because they don’t come here, to see with their own eyes the needs of the people.”

After meeting with Mr. Giammattei, Ms. Harris met with a group of women who have organized development programs for Indigenous communities, or training for those looking to gain business skills.

But before that, she acknowledged the symbolic weight of being the first female vice president, and of making Guatemala her first foreign destination in that office. While a group of protesters holding signs opposing Ms. Harris’s visit stood near one entrance of the military airport, a line of families, many of them women, stood along another fence hoping to catch a glimpse of Air Force II as it landed in Guatemala.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
You're obsessing Mr F.

Let the wind blow high

Let the wind blow low

Through the streets

In my kilt, I'll go

All the lassies say hello

Donald, where's your troosers.

Thought that might appeal to the bit of Scotsman in you.

I'll give you Frere Jacques next time.
oromagi
oromagi
Maybe just visiting the border ain't all its cracked up to be.

As of December 2020, the total funding given for new fencing was about $15 billion, a third of which had been given by Congress while Trump had ordered the rest taken from the military budget. This funding was intended to build new fencing over 738 miles (1,188 km), at a cost of about $20 million per mile; this would cover a little more than half the approximately 1,300 mi (2,100 km) that had no fencing when Trump took office.

A March 2021 review of the Trump work on the wall found only 47 miles (76 km) of new barriers where none had previously existed. While Trump had described the new wall as "virtually impenetrable", it was found that smugglers had repeatedly sawed through the wall with cheap power tools. Also, new dirt roads that had been used to access the wall construction served as new access roads for smugglers.

If we take the $5 billion Congress approved for the wall + the $10 billion  Trump stole from our Armed Forces (which courts ruled was a blatant violation of US law) we spent about $320 million (17 times the cost of Trump's promised $20 million [after reneging on the promise that Mexico would pay] ) per mile.  Now let's add  the $6 billion wasted by the Trump Govt. shutdown to extort the first $5 billion from Congress + $12 billion spent on immigrant detentions we get $33 billion spent in 4 years for 47 miles of new wall and a significant net increase in illegal border traffic (Trump promised to get it down to zero).

Put another way, we could have paid each immigrant we caught during Trump's administration $15,000 if they would just go home and would have saved money over Trump's plan.  Or we could have used those billions to prosecute a few high profile employers of illegal immigrants (The Trump Org itself employed many illegal immigrants in many different capacities), and ended illegal immigration altogether.  As soon as we start prosecuting the people who pay the migrants to come and charge employers with fraud for hiding and  illegally paying such laborers, the immigration problem will promptly subside.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
I did not even ask a question, but oromagi sure bothered to answered everything but.

In all of it, no mention of the concern raised: When is Kammie going to go to OUR border? You know, where the problem really festers like a boil...

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@fauxlaw
Misdirection is a core strategy of a successful politician. This isn't Kamala's first rodeo.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fauxlaw
Much like Republican media calling for the Biden administration to visit the border less than four weeks after lifting restrictions while Republican politicians coordinate to deny access thus manufacturing a fake complaint in the absence of any genuine critique, fauxlaw complains that I over-answered a question he neglected to ask but also complains that  I failed to answer the question he neglected to ask.   

It probably goes without saying that fauxlaw ignored all of my arguments.

Even so and either way, fauxlaw gets it wrong by lazy reading.

• I would not be at all surprised if Harris visits the border in NM or CA on her return from Mexico
  • working at the root of the problem rather than managing the most cosmetic symptom 
  • and
  •  just visiting the border ain't all its cracked up to be
were all quite direct and obvious replies to the never-asked question of when Harris will visit the border. 

As has become something of a theme in American politics, Democrats are doing the work while Republicans blow puffy clouds of grandstand and fake indignation within the ever-shrinking confines of their bubblicious delusion.   History will recall that illegal border crossings were at an all-time low and declining when Trump declared a fake crisis and ran for office with a entirely fake plan to fix it, the execution of which resulted in doubling the illegal migration as well as tripling the cost for half the effect.  Now that America has fired that useless television bunglebunny, Republicans desperately seek to shift the blame for their child-murdering , family separating, billions wasted screw-ups instead of taking the only responsible course, which would be a brief period of moral chastisement and shut-the-fuck-up-so-the-grownups-can-talk.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
Referring to oromagi's continued serialized bible, i suppose the daily harassment of Trump was okay because, well, it was Trump, wasn't it?

So, now it's the Slo Joe and Kammie show, and some are just not going to abide by it.
oromagi
oromagi
Brevity is overated:  if one pronounces fauxlaw's name fast it sounds like "flaw"
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
personal attack is the last effort of a desperate argument.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
Kamala is a uniquely untalented politician to have risen as high as she has. I’m hoping that big Joe doesn’t run again in 2024 because she’s the heir apparent and I think she would have a very difficult time winning 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@thett3
Given SloJoe's penchant for hair, I suspect that is what is apparent. One sniff, and she will head for the border. With any good fortune, she'd keep going.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
Never underestimate the American sheep to signal fake concern.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@fauxlaw
Referring to oromagi's continued serialized bible, i suppose the daily harassment of Trump was okay because, well, it was Trump, wasn't it?

So, now it's the Slo Joe and Kammie show, and some are just not going to abide by it.
Trump's personality and general ineptitude made him a magnet for criticism. And while some of that criticism was fluff, a lot of it was fair.

I don't mind an attempt at fairplay, but the reality is, by and large, your criticisms are mostly fluff and portray you as a bully. The nicknaming is especially juvenile.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@dustryder
And Orange man is not juvenile? And you're trying to convince me Joe is not slow, inept, and mentally elsewhere, let alone, by his own official calendar, works about a 7-hour day? Next month, Putin will eat him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Looking forward to watching the meal. Even Democrats of some intelligence are noting this is not an active President.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Jealously is a far greater attraction for criticism all across the board and throughout all recorded human history.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
Harris is working to restore some of the anti-corruption and economic development measures that proved fairly effective during the Bush and Obama administrations
Yup keep trying to put out fingers in other nations like the 1900s. “Anti-corruption” efforts by someone who says climate change causes illegal immigration. Gimme a break
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@ILikePie5
This is where a lot of liberals miss the point of border security. Liberals think border security is about keeping Mexicans out. Everybody loves Mecicans, so it confuses them. 

So liberals come up with policies like oromagi mentioned, such as anti corruption measures and economic development for Mexico, and are proud they found an alternative way to keep Mexicans out.

As far as I am concerned all.of them can come to the United States. The point of border security is to keep.hoatile nations and groups out, such as the few times North Koreans or al Qaeda have been caught sneaking through the border. 

It also serves as secondary function to have squeeze points for.people entering the United States so we can make sure the people.coming in have vaccines and are bringing no communicable diseases. 

Once liberals get these silly ideals out of their head about keeping Mexicans out with polite ways, perhaps they can be redirected to.care about the actual security of the border.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@fauxlaw
Biden is pushing 80. You telling me that an old person is exhibiting signs of being old is exactly the type of fluffery I don't particularly care for. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@dustryder
My mother-in-law, who lives with us, is 95, and sharp as a tack. By comparison, Biden is a blunt broomstick. "I can beat Joe Biden." Remember that brilliant message? And the media's response apology was even worse: "Nom, what he really said was 'I can be Joe Biden."  So, who was he supposed to be when he allegedly said that? The media was wrong. I have a complete audio studio [I do voiceovers]. The "t" is clearly there. To have to lie to apologize for the man is absurd.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
 anti-corruption and economic development measures

This statement is an oxymoron to anyone who has studied history and noted the universal correlation between foreign aid and local corruption of the nations receiving the aid. Africa is poor and corrupt because of the aid, not in spite of it. 

Foreign aid also teaches foreigners that America is a welfare state and not a state of sovereign laws, so it is no wonder they jump the border looking for more when the aid runs out.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Personal attack is the last effort of a desperate argument.

You do seem to have been personally attacking "Kammie" a lot lately.

The last ditch throws of post election anxiety.

oromagi
oromagi
->@ILikePie5
 anti-corruption and economic development measures

This statement is an oxymoron to anyone who has studied history and noted the universal correlation between foreign aid and local corruption of the nations receiving the aid. Africa is poor and corrupt because of the aid, not in spite of it. 

Foreign aid also teaches foreigners that America is a welfare state and not a state of sovereign laws, so it is no wonder they jump the border looking for more when the aid runs out.
READERS will note that Greyparrot is directly replying to my remarks because I place no restraints on Greyparrot's capacity to address me, the same cannot be said of any counterpoint I might wish to make, since Moderation has asked me not to address GP, because GP "feels bullied" when his lies are exposed. 

READERS should also note that Greyparrot tags his buddies while directly replying to my content- the forum equivalent of being unable to look a man in the eye.

Here on our debate website, Greyparrot debates like a sniper in a schoolyard,  attacking the defenseless and running fast away from any forthright clash.   Readers can decide for themselves which of us is the bully remembering that the first mark of a bully is cowardice.

#brownshirts=brownshorts

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
How long have we been giving “economic aid” and promoting “anti-corruption” in Central America again?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
As long as Oromagi has been stalking and harassing me for validation like some butthurt prom girl.

At least that long.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
And the last mark of a bully is personal attack. Attack my words all you want. Me and my avatar are off limits, bud.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@fauxlaw
And the last mark of a bully is personal attack. Attack my words all you want. Me and my avatar are off limits, bud.
He’s largely irrelevant anyways. I know I don’t care about the vomit of words lol