Books

Author: badger

Total: 13
badger
Debates: 0
badger
It has occurred to me that all of my favourite books have always been the recommendations of those close to me. People learn you character and find you in books. The top 100 lists are good too, but.

That is all. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@badger

Nice poem?
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@badger
That's a M*A*S*H sign-off.

God help us all.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@badger
My two favorite books:

Armor-About instersteller war with giant alien ants.

Courtship Rite-A cannibalistic society of near-alien humans.

What does this say about me?
badger
badger
-->
@janesix
You are obviously a paranoid schizophrenic. 
Stephen
Stephen
The Miracle-less Bible is one of my favourites. 

It tells the story of wars of gods and men. And of early men that were forced to  fight wars on behalf of gods . Hard to tell at times if it is fiction or non-fiction?

8 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@janesix
Armor-About instersteller war with giant alien ants.
Oh! I read that once, found it in High School library, was a faded copy, had a character in armor, using their gun as a club, about to whack an alien with it.
Kind of a sad book, main character for most of it going through war and war and war, yet still living and living and living.
Many people not being able to believe he'd been able to survive to long.
Reminded me a 'bit of Starship Troopers movie.

Says you like a bit of sci fi, I'd think.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Lemming
Oh yes I've love sci fi since I discovered it at the beginning of high school. I've always been drawn to strange ideas, different types of living and worlds. 

I always wished there was a sequel to the Armor book, there were several hints that planets in the galaxy were made to fit "human" type life, and that the main character was somehow a different type of human. They didn't go into this aspect of the book enough. And another aspect of the book I admire of course is that he's a hero, not only out to save himself (and despite his obvious weaknesses and personality flaws) and this is proved in the end when he decides to get back in the suit to save the other people. When he really really didn't want to.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@janesix
Well, he 'was a war hero, in deed more than public perception, in the book.
Lot of trauma and PTSD, I'm sure though, any new friends he might make dying.

It was interesting a bit, that the military 'had an actual hero of sorts, though more for PR and propaganda, than his efforts.
Though the 'hero 'was heroic in how he saved the main character, from having to endure more war.
Also in ability I suppose.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerdssss
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@badger
ive observed that too

251 days later

badger
badger
I got recommended De Profundis last night. Flattering in a lot of ways. I'm a poetical savage. 
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@badger
' Critical Path ' ..Bucky Fuller 1979?

' Cosmography ' Bucky Fuller wherein he talks about his meeting with Einstien.

There was one Alan Dean Foster ---easy read sci-fi--- that had individual whose entire existence { home } was inside a astronaut-like suit that had everything he could possibly need and that read put my head into interesting place.   I seem to recall he encountered a bunch of crystals that were alive or something. Sorry cant recall name. And yes I read dune, Foundation, Piers Anthony, Orison S. Card,  Roger Zelazny and others most of which I found interesting.

' Blade Runner ' the movie stems{ best ever } from...Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep { P.K Dick } I never read that book