Metric time

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 5
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
I think the following units of time should be totally and completely eliminated:
-Hours
-Minutes
-Weeks
-Months

And 1 second of time should be a different amount of time.  Currently, there are 86400 seconds in a day.  I think a second should be slightly shorter in length so there are 100,000 seconds in a day.  The unit of time are:

1 day = 10 decidays
1 deciday =10centidays
1 centiday = 10 milliday
1 milliday = 10 decaseconds
1 decasecond = 10 metric seconds

Then units of time will be much easier to convert.  This is after America goes completely metric in all other regards in 2 years.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@TheUnderdog
Currently, there are not 86,400 seconds in one day, because there are not an even 24 hours in one day, and even the actual count [23 hours, 56 minutes is not accurate, because it is not repeatable. Our orbit wanders in shape over 405,000 years, changing the duration of one day]. In 24 hours, exactly, the Earth rotates through 360.986 degrees, on every rotation. You think accuracy is at hand when we add one day to our calendar every four years? So, what improvement is made by converting time count into metric time. It will still vary.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Maybe that's a good idea.

But I think that the concepts of time and the measurement of duration, evolved purposefully and relative to certain events.

Such as, a  complete cycle of the Earth relative to the Sun can, naturally be broken down into 365 and a bit. Rather than precisely 1000 or 100.

So a month would be 36.5ish days long and, a week would be 3.65 days.

3.65 days could then be broken down into a metric hour minutes seconds etc.

As we tend to associate a day with a secondary motion of the Earth relative to the Sun.... Relative to evolved sleep and activity patterns.

Really, you might as well just leave things as they are....Would probably save a whole lot of hassle.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Because changing the very thing people use to do quick things and how clocks work is definitely something people can adjust to in less than 2 years. Other than this is pure destruction and propaganda, I don't think this is practical.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@TheUnderdog
I don't think we should change natural units of time because people are lazy.