Australia is now a police state

Author: Wylted

Total: 13
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
A comedian in Australia was recently arrested for dressing like Luigi and criticizing an Australian politician. 

Secret police showed  up to his house to arrest the dissenter, pushed his mother down and apparently killed his dog. 

Wylted
Wylted
Here is the video showing what the comedian was arrested for https://youtu.be/ihoirTYqf2c
Wylted
Wylted
I wish I could share pictures here. The picture of him confronting the guy in a Luigi outfit is funny
Wylted
Wylted
Upon bail, the accused is not allowed to possess a drawing of barilaro or even comment on the minister in a negative way https://www.michaelwest.com.au/tamed-estate-arrest-of-friendlyjordies-producer-attests-to-dangerous-state-of-democracy/
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
We should probably note that NSW police are currently treating Langker's stalking problem as more a mental health issue than a criminal issue.  The most likely outcome will be a court ordered mental health examination.   I think Langker has the right to make all the racist YouTube videos he wants (and YouTube has the right to say "no thank you"), but there is a point where invading a public figure's life becomes a problem that needs to be addressed. 

I'm not confident that line was crossed here. 

• Making videos from Barilaro's home bathtub,
  • insulting Barilaro's Italian heritage with a Luigi outfit while he's out at the pub with friends and family and
  • yelling questions to Barilaro while he's mourning at a funeral are individually borderline incidents but collectively might justify some kind of mental health intervention.  I agree its a borderline case.  Australia is certainly less tolerant of racism and  verbal attacks than the US.
I can't say I find any of it funny.  Pathetic and super creepy? yes.  Funny?  no.

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
My impression from the few articles I read is that Barilo is very corrupt and the comedian is apparently exposing him because the media is scared to.

Some of the stuff you stated is concerning, but having M it handled by the secret police seems like government over reach. Also any time a cellphone is confiscated it looks bad, because it looks like law enforcement is trying to get ahold of it to delete incriminating evidence against themselves or the politicians they protect.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
@oromagi
My impression from the few articles I read is that Barilo is very corrupt 
I don't see any indication that Barilaro is particularly corrupt.

As the leader of the conservative party in a state containing the largest city in Australia, Barilaro fights for the farmers and rural constituents against the liberal behemoth that is Sydney- therefore he has always been quite unpopular with the Left.

On the flipside, Barilaro was very popular with the Right (running unopposed in 2016) until an internal investigation uncovered a secret coalition of neo-Nazis within the party.   Barilaro forced 30 neo-nazis out of government including some fairly high ranking appointments, which likely saved his party's coalition from losing power but made him deeply unpopular with the Nazis and other white supremacist organizations.  It is this faction to which  freindlyjordies and Kristo Langker direct their particular form of racist humor, and the reason behind their current campaign of  harassment.  Barilaro's Italian heritage was fine with them when they voted for him in 2016 but now he's "Luigi" because he kicked the white supremacists out.

Now unpopular with all the Left and half of the Right, Barilaro probably doesn't have much of a political career left to him but we can admire his willingness to take a political loss in the name of preserving democracy in Australia.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
secret police?
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
They were not in uniform and were in a plain car. I figure we can refer to plain clothes law enforcement who take people away in unmarked cars as secret police.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
@oromagi
They were not in uniform and were in a plain car. I figure we can refer to plain clothes law enforcement who take people away in unmarked cars as secret police.

Most homicide detectives in America wear plain clothes and drive unmarked cars.  Are American homicide detectives all secret police in your estimation?

The Fixated Persons Investigation Unit is a subdivision of police with a lot of mental health training that specializes in stalkers, mass shooters, unibombers, etc.  People who write manifestos on  8kun in tin foil hats.  Obviously, plainclothes helps police to investigate these people without triggering anti-authority outbursts.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
Most homicide detectives in America wear plain clothes and drive unmarked cars.  Are American homicide detectives all secret police in your estimation?

They usually just go to your door and have a conversation. You don't see them often cuffing people unless it is in an interrogation room.

I would call the people jumping out of dark trucks and grabbing BLM.rioters secret police though. They rarely identified themselves and took people in unmarked cars to undisclosed locations. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
They usually just go to your door and have a conversation. You don't see them often cuffing people unless it is in an interrogation room.
You don't think plainclothes policemen arrest people?

You should try watching American television shows sometime, where that happens pretty much constantly.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
I literally just mentioned plain clothes police at BLM events.  I said they arrest people and it is unethical to act like secret police and snatch people up. There is no room for undercover people at demonstrations.  With governments being incentivized to put agent provocateur in crowds, it is unethical to use plain clothes officer for crowd control.. it's bad optics l, but not just that. It causes distrust in law enforcement.