The power of euphemisms

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 3
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Suppose you ask 100 random people, "Do you prefer freedom or tyranny?"  Most people would say they prefer freedom.

Suppose you ask 100 different random people, "Do you prefer anarchy or law and order?"  Most people would say they prefer law and order.

But as someone who realizes this inconsistency, I discovered a euphemism for anarchy is freedom, and a euphemism for tyranny is law and order.

If you ask 100 random people, "Do you prefer anarchy or tyranny?" or, "Do you prefer freedom or law and order", most people (since people are stupid) will be unsure which they prefer.

I don't like it.  Can't politicians get rid of euphemism in their rhetoric and focus on policies?  If someone claims to be a libetarian, I could claim they support a moderate anarchy.  If someone wants law and order, I could claim they support tyranny.

Keep euphemisms consistent.  If you refer to small government as, "freedom", you should refer to big government as, "law and order" and the same is true for the negative connotations of the words, "freedom" and, "law and order".

Thoughts?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@TheUnderdog
euphemism: The use of a word or phrase to replace another with one that is considered less offensive, blunt or vulgar than the word or phrase which it replaces.

I don't like it.  Can't politicians get rid of euphemism in their rhetoric and focus on policies?
Probably not. Euphemism is an essential aspect of diplomatic language.  There's nothing wrong with wishing politicians spoke more bluntly or with more vulgarity but it is not a good way to achieve compromise:  the primary objective of any politician in a democracy.

I, for one, would never confuse anarchy with freedom.  Freedom comes from the preservation of rights and to a large degree, good governments are the instruments of that preservation.  Without the US Constitution you can assert a Freedom of Speech but what remedy do you have when that freedom is violated?  What instrument except good government guarantees that freedom?  And what more obvious hallmark of good government than the justice of law and the peace of order?

Tyranny is the penultimate loss of law and order and freedom- all law emanates from one source, all freedom is guaranteed by a single interest.  Displease the tyrant and no recourse is available.  Tyrants generally must destroy law and order to become tyrants- Caesar crossing the Rubicon, Hitler's Enabling Act, etc.

Anarchy is the final loss of law and order and freedom.  Anarchy is when all rights are imperiled all the time and freedom becomes a lesser consideration.

TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
I, for one, would never confuse anarchy with freedom.  Freedom comes from the preservation of rights and to a large degree, good governments are the instruments of that preservation.
A government takes your rights.  Sometimes this is justified, like with banning rape or murder, but it is still the government taking your right just like if they wanted to ban everything else.

Tyrants generally must destroy law and order to become tyrants
Tyrants make the laws in some places.  They don't destroy law and order; they create law and order; a hierarchal order.