Honest Opinions

Author: shadow_712

Total: 17
shadow_712
Debates: 19
shadow_712
Hey I thought of making a thread to collect honest opinions, what do Americans think of Indians and Chinese students coming to US to pursue education. Later staying back after to gain work experience in the field. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Yes to honest opinions.

Yes to US teaching foreign students and encouraging immigration from that exemplary group.  If you want to world to see things your way, teaching the world's best and brightest is one excellent and effective method.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@shadow_712
America 'does accept immigrants.
If they're going to school on some exchange program, seems likely they'd obtain citizenship legally.
If they're here legally and have to pass whatever test we use, likely they might know many parts of American Government and History 'better than me.
If the immigrants are young people with a high level of education and performance, all the better, I'd think many Americans would think.

I'm just not for 'massive immigration all at once to America, or illegal immigration, or nonintegrating immigration (Doesn't mean people can't have their own cultural identity and history).
There's a family tree on my mothers side, including ancestors from other countries than America.

Though, I 'did and 'do like Tom Mccall's "Visit but don't stay." slogan for Oregon.
. . .
Well, maybe I have mixed opinions on subject of immigration.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
People forget that they are Earthlings.

And each generation grows to fear change.

But things keep changing.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@zedvictor4
As I see it, 'Tribalism is just common to human condition/game theory.
To quote another,
"Naturally wanting to live near and interact with people who share your beliefs and traditions. " - LOGICZOMBIE
Tribes often don't like being replaced, Just a psychological value response. In Group vs Out Group. People connect themselves to their family, Community, And whatever aspects they identify as 'being the connected strands. History, Culture, Looks, Mannerisms, Blood, Hereditary.
Tribes not need 'always 'be skin, Often enough in history that they 'aren't, But skin 'is one of the options people have used to identify their groups currently and before.
To quote another person,
"Most people want to protect themselves and their family and make themselves and their family "comfortable" more than anything else. Most people naturally have more empathy for people who look similar to themselves (this is scientifically verified). This naturally leads to TRIBALISM (which is not necessarily "pure evil"). We want to be "safe" and we want to be surrounded by people who look like and think like and believe like we do because that makes us feel safe. " - LOGICZOMBIE
People 'value 'their 'People.

Course, Appearance is degrees, Saxons, Brits, Romans, Irish, French, Franks, Germans, Found each other different enough to dehumanize and discriminate against, I'm sure. Ancient history.
'But, When the Ottoman Empire and faith threatened the West, They found some common ground.
One can look to science fiction or fantasy for parallel.
More rare is Human Human racism, When their are Orcs or Klingon to discriminate against.

Still, genetics are often a way of telling when a group of people have kept put together.
And 'having kept put together, one might assume they share more similar values and ethos, than those 'not kept put with them.
Not only are people of different genetics not one's own 'blood people, they're often not even one's own 'culture people.
Animals are territorial.

Bits and heaps of tribalism can help a person survive in violent, turbulent times.
Yet paradoxically often 'cause violent, turbulent times.

Xenophobic conjecture aside,
I like myself 'more than the various tribes I might be said to belong.
shadow_712
shadow_712
Keep the opinions coming . Nice Thread. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@shadow_712
Pretty sure I've read somewhere, that civilizations that isolate themselves, often fall behind in world influence, technology, and culture.
Having an exchange program with other countries, just seems profitable.
Militaries of countries that are allies often cooperate, learn from one another, why not civilians.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
Well stated.

10 days later

shadow_712
shadow_712
-->
@zedvictor4
@Lemming
@oromagi
Let me provide some context, A lot of my friends are heading to US for further studies, so I thought it would be nice to ask what the debateart.com community thinks about it.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@shadow_712
I had a coworker from China once, nice person, everyone at work was fine with it.
People vary though,
Might meet some unpleasant people, might meet some good people,
Hopefully your friends meet more good , than unpleasant.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@shadow_712
It's interesting that clever Indians still regard "the west" as a means of improvement.

I can't speak for U.S. society..... But here in the U.K. people of the Indian sub-continent are just a part of the furniture, as it were. Look at the current  Conservative government for example....Rishi, Priti, Sajid and Alok to name but a few.

Hope all goes well in the U.S.
shadow_712
shadow_712
-->
@zedvictor4
Yeah UK is not really a hotspot anymore, because of such a restricted market and limited opportunities, Most students talk about US,Canada, Germany,Netherlands, and maybe Australia. Unless it's Imperial College London or Cambridge I have not seen peers or seniors apply for UK universities. Don't mind it , just the truth currently. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
What the FUCK did you just say?

Racist as FUCK.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@shadow_712
Pretty accepting but if you're in a country with already top notch universities I think it's a stupid decision to make personally. You're paying nearly 70k a year to go to school in the US when there are great institutions in your home country. However, if one country doesn't have the best universities it's worth the money
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@RatMan

How you can read racism into that post, I don't know.

Luckily shadow_72 has a bit more up top than you do, and understood my comments in the way that they were intended.
shadow_712
shadow_712
-->
@Vader
2 of my friends got full fee waiver plus their unis are paying 30,000 dollars per year to get them to join the PhD program, I don't know what you are talking about. 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@shadow_712
It's worth it if you get money off. Anytime you save money it's worth it