TRUMP vs. DeSANTIS

Author: oromagi

Total: 18
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
The Western Conservative Summit, an annual gathering of conservatives in Denver, was a scaled-back event this year, but that didn’t stop it from making headlines on Monday.

In a straw poll conducted at the summit, 371 attendees were asked who they would vote for in the 2024 presidential election, and out of 31 potential Republican and Democratic candidates, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis finished at the top.

Western Conservative Summit 2021 non-partisan approval voting poll results:
1. Ron DeSantis - 74.12%
2. Donald Trump - 71.43%
3. Ted Cruz - 42.86%
4. Mike Pompeo - 39.35%
5. Tim Scott 35.58%

If Trump want to maintain his current domination of the Republican Party, it looks like he's going to have to take out the Governor of his own home state.

Naturally, I'm no fan of DeSantis's governorship but I have to believe that a guy who holds a bachelor's from Yale in history and a Harvard law degree would make a improvement in intellect over Trump and I have to believe that a Seal Team One member who fought at the 2nd Battle of  Fallujah would make an improvement in loyalty to country over Trump.  I'll hope that Republicans lose generally but I certainly would like to see a better Republican shut out of that party the worst American citizen ever.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
Straw poll

371 respondents. To represent a population of 80M voters, potentially? Try 2,401 respondents, at a MoE of ±2.5% [it gets fuzzy with higher MoEs]

Statistically, a disaster, as most political polls are. Does no one know how this is done?

Nope. The end.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fauxlaw
so let's ask you directly, call it a straw poll of one

DeSantis- Yale History, Harvard Law, Navy Seal, popular Gov of critical swing state

vs.

Trump- most prolific liar in human history, Russian stooge, famous idiot

Where do you come down?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@oromagi
DeSantis is superior to Trump in many ways. I love DeSantis and what he has done in Florida. Besides Marco Rubio, I'd pick DeSantis for 2024
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@oromagi
Christian Republicans will never vote for DeSantis. He has only beem married once and his wife was born in the USA.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Ron can’t win the Rust Belt. His sole path to victory is taking NV + NH while holding on to NC, FL, OH, IA, ME-2, and regaining GA + AZ

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ILikePie5
 Ron can’t win the Rust Belt.
Why not?  What is lacking in appeal to the Rust Belt?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Conservatives? And yet Biden didn't show up at the party?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
Doesn’t come off as much of a macho type outsider guy. Comes off as a tad bit too establishment. I’d ofc still support him if he’s the nominee, but idt his appeal stretches as far as the Rust Belt. Wisconsin is the state he’d most likely win if he did win
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ILikePie5
-->@oromagi
Doesn’t come off as much of a macho type outsider guy. Comes off as a tad bit too establishment. I’d ofc still support him if he’s the nominee, but idt his appeal stretches as far as the Rust Belt. Wisconsin is the state he’d most likely win if he did win
Its funny, I almost asked about macho but thought that too condescending.  Amazing, isn't it, that a Navy Seal would be perceived as less macho then a puffy draft dodging  New Yorker in heavy makeup and a wig?

But it's true Trump never had any problem with that establishment stigma.  I'd say Cruz and Pompeo have some of the same problem but both know the mid-West better.  Cotton and Sasse are also too establishment and too much a part of the Romney/Cheney caucus now.  I think Rubio played the middle overmuch and has no cred left.  Pence both represents Trumpism to an unelectable degree while he's  also (unfathomably) despised by the Trumpists.

If I was choosing a candidate for the GOP, I'd be running Nikki Haley- she has proved to be a really smart politician- she plays the middle but with a very adroit touch and demonstrates a strong understanding of the American mission. She's got none of that establishment taint and she knows how to win in the South.   I'm skeptical that the Republican party is capable of nominating anything other than a white man for president but I'd like to proven wrong on that point.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
If I was choosing a candidate for the GOP, I'd be running Nikki Haley- she has proved to be a really smart politician- she plays the middle but with a very adroit touch and demonstrates a strong understanding of the American mission. She's got none of that establishment taint and she knows how to win in the South.   I'm skeptical that the Republican party is capable of nominating anything other than a white man for president but I'd like to proven wrong on that point.
Hell no. She reeeeeeks of establishment. She can’t energize anyone either. I’d rather stay home than vote for her. Establishment GOP can go get head from Establishment Dems
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ILikePie5
Hell no. She reeeeeeks of establishment. She can’t energize anyone either. I’d rather stay home than vote for her. Establishment GOP can go get head from Establishment Dems
Wow.  Second generation minority immigrant who went to Clemson worked her way up managing trash collectors and laundromats and you call her establishment?  

Perhaps the GOP doesn't know what that word means anymore.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
Wow.  Second generation minority immigrant who went to Clemson worked her way up managing trash collectors and laundromats and you call her establishment?  

Perhaps the GOP doesn't know what that word means anymore.
Anyone can be establishment. What you said has no impact on her being establishment or not. She’s a politician. Going after Trump and then groveling right in front of him after realizing she needs him to run for President. 

Either way she can’t win the Rust Belt either. Her path lies through NV which will be harder cause Hispanics and NH while regaining the Sun Belt and Southwest.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ILikePie5
OK, well I'm going with "GOP doesn't know what establishment means"

ESTABLISHMENT[noun]: the ruling class or authority group in a society; especially, an entrenched authority dedicated to preserving the status quo. 

PIE:  "Anyone can be establishment."

By definition, the ruling class cannot be anybody or everybody- that would be no class and would leave none ruled.  If anyone can be establishment then I think you're using that word to mean something else, something I haven't figured out.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
ESTABLISHMENT[noun]: the ruling class or authority group in a society; especially, an entrenched authority dedicated to preserving the status quo. 
I think that defines her pretty well…looks like you don’t. Difference of opinion 🤷‍♂️
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@ILikePie5
You're delusional if you think Nikky Haley is establishment
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Vader
You're delusional if you think Nikky Haley is establishment
You're high if you think Nikki Haley has ANY chance of winning. She’s a typical politician who moves with the winds. She’s a Bush Republican.

8 days later

oromagi
oromagi
RON DeSANTIS: is the TRUMP-ALIGNED FLORIDA GOVERNOR PLOTTING a WHITE HOUSE RUN?

The fast-rising Republican is topping polls and raising millions of dollars – but what if the former president wants his job back?

Richard Luscombe

Florida has seen a different side of Ron DeSantis these last 10 days. At the forefront of the state’s response to the Miami condo collapse, and now marshaling operations as Hurricane Elsa barrels across the Caribbean, the rabidly Trumpian Republican governor has appeared a steady yet calming leader in the face of multiple unfolding crises.

On Thursday, with Joe Biden in town to comfort grieving relatives, DeSantis provided a moment neither supporters nor opponents thought they would ever see: high praise for a Democratic president with whom he has frequently clashed.

To some, it is a masterful performance of political plate spinning. Seen as a likely heir to Donald Trump’s polarizing brand – “same inflammatory policies minus the inflammatory tweets” in the words of the Miami Herald – DeSantis increasingly looks to be positioning himself for a run at the White House in 2024.
There is, of course, the small matter of whether the former president wants his old job back. But with DeSantis now topping Trump in conservative polls and already raising millions of dollars on the national stage, some analysts believe a DeSantis run, or even a Trump-DeSantis ticket, to be more likely than not.

“He’s not just auditioning for the Trump role, I think he’s ordered Trump masks for the campaign trail,” said professor Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia’s center for politics.

Sabato cautions that Trump could still be a factor in whether DeSantis, who will seek a second term in the Tallahassee governor’s mansion in elections next year, will announce his candidacy.

“Trump can wait very late, and DeSantis does not [yet] have a constituency so independent of Trump that he could run anyway and win,” he said.

“In fact, he would provoke the ire of Trump and his family and his cult forever.”

Regardless, DeSantis’s recent moves in Florida have followed the Trump doctrine almost to the letter, and offer clues to how a DeSantis administration would operate. All the signs are that it would push a fresh, hard-right Trumpian agenda, only without Trump in office.

There have been assaults on voting rights and the transgender community; the controversial interference in the perceived indoctrination by radical leftwing lecturers of university students; and the passing of a law, blocked by a federal judge this week, preventing social media companies banning political candidates.

The day after the Miami condo tragedy, the governor was adhering to his Trumpian principles by sending dozens of personnel from three state law enforcement agencies the other way, to “support” the Republican governors of Texas and Arizona “in response to the security crisis at the southern border”.

This week he overturned a vote by citizens of Key West, the jewel in the state’s ecologically fragile island chain, to ban giant cruise ships from docking. Political opponents saw the move as a power grab by DeSantis; the Miami Herald, meanwhile, reported in April that DeSantis had received almost $1m in campaign contributions from the owner of the pier that receives most of the city’s cruise ship traffic.

And known to critics as Ron DeathSantis for refusing to shut down Florida at the height of Covid-19, the governor navigated a path through the pandemic that proved popular with the Trump base in other red states.

“The bottom line of what’s happening here is that he is so auditioning for the Republican nomination for 2024 that he’s forgotten Florida,” US congressman Charlie Crist, a former governor of Florida who is seeking the Democratic nomination to challenge DeSantis next year, told the Guardian.

“Florida is a state of decent, kind, compassionate people, and he’s so down the Trump rathole that he’s lost sight of that in pursuit of the Oval Office.”

Crist, vice-chair of the congressional LBGTQ+ equality caucus, was sharply critical of DeSantis’s anti-diversity stance, which mirrors that of the former president.

“On the first day of Pride Month he signs the law about trans children not being able to participate in sports, which is just cruel to me,” Crist said.

“On the second day he decides to veto funding that the Republican legislature allocated for the victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting, their families and loved ones to get emotional support and care.”

Much of Crist’s recent ire, meanwhile, has been directed at DeSantis’s embrace of Trump’s big lie, the falsehood that Biden’s presidency is somehow illegitimate following a “stolen” election. DeSantis signed a comprehensive and restrictive election reform bill into law in May, live on Fox News, despite praising the 2020 presidential election as one of the smoothest-run, safest and most secure in Florida’s history.

“To deny that fact, as a leader of the state of Florida, the third largest state in the country, the biggest swing state in the country, if you’re not in touch with facts and in touch with the truth, what are you in touch with?” Crist said.

“It’s like fake news is now being generated by the far right, and he’s leading the charge.”

A hard-hitting editorial last month in the Miami Herald called DeSantis “better at being Donald Trump than Trump himself,” and highlighted several policy areas where the governor appears to have enacted the former president’s wishes.

They include his signing of Florida’s new anti-riot law in April, even though the state was spared the violence that marred Black Lives Matter protests elsewhere last summer and that led to Trump demanding “law and order” across the country.

“He’s trying to fix problems that don’t exist,” Crist said.

For his part, Trump, whose book The Art of the Deal DeSantis once read to his baby son in an infamous 2018 campaign ad, has nothing but praise for his apprentice. “He’s done a great job as governor,” he told Fox News in April. “He’s a friend of mine.”

Neither DeSantis, who, like Trump, enjoys a fractious relationship with the media, nor his staff responded to a request for comment.

Sabato, the political analyst, thinks DeSantis is a perfect fit for the Republican base but is nervously awaiting his master’s voice.

“That’s true of all the candidates, they’re tiptoeing through the tulips,” he said. “And because he’s doing that and the other candidates are doing that, no one really has an advantage.”