What is love?

Author: badger

Total: 11
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I'm feeling like a bit of a dog today, but. I always think, so in the wide open world, most animals die of the cold. Most animals have multiple offspring too, because the most part of them will die. And so that's the majority of life, weak, crawling, dying things, cold and alone, crying out in the night to who knows what. In Ireland, too, during the famine, infanticide was our biggest crime. Newborn children would be left on the side of the road, because it was another mouth to feed, and that wouldn't do. Sheep stealing, then, was runner up, sensibly enough. Noble creatures, love and morals and right and whatever else. Between the aches and the pains and the orgasms, I do like a cuddle every now and again. To be in it with someone else, I guess. I'll have kids someday, and who knows what that's about. Out of pure boredom, probably. Some people have a belly full of belief, and I'm envious lol. 
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@badger
There are different kinds of love. There is romantic, friendship, love for parents, love for children. They feel different. In my experience the love for children is the strongest. But it really isn't a good feeling most of the time. It is a very strong type of anxiety, of potential loss. The reason infanticide is possible though is because people don't fall in love with babies immediately, it takes time to bond. Romantic love comes in second as the strongest. Especially a first love, which often makes people a bit crazy (or a lot) where they do really stupid things to keep the honeymoon feeling going.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@badger
MarkWebberFan
Debates: 2
MarkWebberFan
-->
@janesix
...it really isn't a good feeling most of the time. It is a very strong type of anxiety, of potential loss.
I agree wholeheartedly. I think this is the universal definition of love. When I was bullied in highschool, I had a deep fear that I would lose those who decided (against peer pressure) to be with me. IMHO, there have never been any more vivid impression of fear in love than this.  Just my experience.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@badger
Love is an overused word, that can be used to accompany any positive response to a stimulus.....Unless you are playing tennis of course.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
Baby don't hurt me
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@badger
I view love as a sacrificial attitude more than a feeling per say. Or maybe Janesix is right and there are different forms of love, but I think the strongest form of love exceeds the boundaries of what we typically believe love is. Real love is the type of power that overrides what we feel or want, it goes beyond our physical impulses and desires to a place of seeing a much larger picture and letting ourselves go to impact that larger picture.

TBH as you pointed out in your illustrations love is not of the ordinary and is quite rare in the sense you don't really see it play a unanimous role in this world. Don't be bummed out though Badger, this is a very low level place within creation and a lot of the souls that inhabit it are not of higher awareness, but there are much higher conscious levels of existence that contain much greater elevated states of intentions, thinking, acting and resolutions. Remember this is a dualistic environment where you will see and experience the full swing of duality between positive and negative, shallow and deep, good and bad, light and darkness ect ect. 

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@badger
Sorry to hear you were feeling down yesterday,
How are you today?

As to the question, What is love?
Fondness and familiarity.
Though my answer's a bit short, and some of the others speak and reference, truthfully, of more complexity to it.
badger
badger
Some heartwarming answers and posts inside here haha.

I'm good, Lemming. Thanks for asking, buddy.
Shed1
Shed1
God.
Unpopular
Debates: 2
Unpopular
The ancient Greeks noted different types of love, which is helpful because it shows how love comes in different forms. There are different words for different things, but they all describe an experience of connectedness among people, so I think love is about connection. 

Eros- romantic love, sexual passion 
Philia- deep friendship, shared connection 
Ludus- playful love, like flirting or having a crush
Agape- empathy, unconditional love for everyone
Pragma- long lasting love that is nurtured over time
Philautia- self care, and compassion for ones self 
Storge- love between family members or a community 
Mania- obsessive or codependent love