Total: 3
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
WiKiPEDiA:

During the award ceremony in the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru where Berry was awarded the gold medal for the hammer throw, she raised her fist at the end of the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" in protest against injustice in America "and a president who's making it worse."   Berry's protests led the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee to issue new guidelines in order to allow peaceful expressions of protest "in support of racial and social justice for all human beings." Berry has stated: "I'm here to represent those who died [due] to this systemic racism."

Berry was reprimanded by the International Olympic Committee, who placed her on probation for 12 months, prohibiting her from any form of protest for a year. Her act cost her sponsorships, and she estimated that she lost $50,000.

In June 2021, during the U.S. Olympic track and field trials for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Berry turned away from the U.S. flag during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner".  She said of the national anthem's timing that "I feel like it was a set-up".  According to a spokesperson for USA Track and Field who stated, "The national anthem is played every day according to a previously published schedule", the anthem was scheduled to be played at 5:20 p.m., though on this occasion the music started at 5:25 p.m.  Berry claims an official told her the anthem would play prior to her arrival on the podium.  Berry has accused critics of her protest of favoring "patriotism over basic morality,"  although her activism has been alleged to be performative.
I respect Berry's right to free speech and would not interfere with that right although I also respect the IOC's right to protect its brand name and sanction participants as that private, international body sees fit.

For me, however, the larger consideration is the duty of American citizens to the American people while representing our people on any international stage. I support the right of Colin Kaepernick to take a knee to the extent that the gesture was not particularly disrespectful, brought attention to an important national concern, and was done with the support of the team Kaepernick represented.  I would not have endorsed the same act on foreign soil or while representing a national team.  When representing our nation, we have an obligation to set aside certain personal priorities in favor of the advantage of demonstrating a proud, cohesive, and loyal nation of peoples to competing nations.  

I question the gesture of turning a back to the American Flag- which may represent a racist system but also represents the best protection and guarantee against that racism.  Kneeling or raising a fist does not suggest the rejection that the gesture of turning one's back clearly implies.

If Berry wants to protest American racism, then bring that protest to an American forum and not when the priority is clearly to show our Nation off to best advantage.  Let's keep our arguments in the family.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
I'm for free speech,
And 'also for organizations firing people, for acting in a way not with said organizations values.
Though it bothers me.

Personally, my response to the kneeling on the field, would have been to not renew my contract with said players.
Well, maybe.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
The contradiction of anti-racist racism.

Protesting against discrimination by discriminating as it were....Only perpetuates resentment.

Things will sort themselves out slowly......As they do.

She could always go and live in Somalia if she thinks that America is such a backwards thinking shithole.....Only joking Gwen.