New Vote Moderating Standards

Author: David

Archived
Total: 15
David
Debates: 92
David
To make sure this doesn't get burried in all the other threads, per Bsh1's directive, we have recently implemented a few new moderation standards:

- Whenever something is borderline, default to considering it sufficient
- Whenever you remove a vote, explain, very briefly, how the voter could improve

RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
Whenever something is borderline, default to considering it sufficient
I don't agree but, both because the average human being is of a bad debating-capacity and of IQ that I consider below properly functional and because many users here are here to let off steam and not to think hard, I accept that the majority will benefit from this and will say I agree to 'not want' this but accept its existence as being an anti-me pro-populace policy.

Whenever you remove a vote, explain, very briefly, how the voter could improve
Agree. I also support an interactive manual and game-like quiz to gain voting rights.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
I like LM's advice of:

"There is no need to give a detailed basis for non-mod-action for every report, much less doing so on a F/F or conceded debate."
RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
If we operate on minimal need then yes, drafterman is right.

I prefer the 'best action that is feasible' approach instead.
drafterman
drafterman
Bump
drafterman
drafterman
Suggestions:

- Whenever something is borderline, default to considering it sufficient
- Whenever you remove a vote, explain, very briefly, how the voter could improve
- There is no need to give a detailed basis for non-mod-action for every report, much less doing so on a F/F or conceded debate
- Loosening up the standards may help encourage more voters.
- Make it so that only the people in the debate can report a vote (and which part) - with reasons.

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
No because what if somebody dies before the voting period of the debate as could happen in this debate https://www.debateart.com/debates/244

How is that person supposed to seek justice against unfair votes? everyone should be able to report votes, not allowing it has brought up 20 different scenarios in my head to game that system.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Wylted
Let's hear 'em
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@drafterman
1. I might not report a vote because I don't want to look like a whiny bitch.
2. Intimidating my opponent out of reporting votes who just so happens to get less unfair votes than me
3. pretending like I don't want the debate moderated but report every vote 24 hours before the end of the debate so only votes in his favor are removed.
4. waiting until opponents leave the site or get banned before reporting votes, even if I had more unfair votes than them, altering the outcome of the debate.

Now my hand is cramping from all the writing. I'm sure you can figure out more
Wylted
Wylted
Many situations could develop so only one debater can report unfair votes, which would be too big of an advantage to overcome in most debates

drafterman
drafterman
You can do all that anyway.
Wylted
Wylted
Not really. Random bystanders act as a safeguard of only one debater being able to report
drafterman
drafterman
On second thought, I agree.
drafterman
drafterman
My issue is that only a handful of people want the current level of anal standards but yet a single person can force those standards on every vote, whether the debaters want it or not.

I thought putting control in the hands of the debaters would be a fix but you've shown how it can swing too much in the other direction 

Wylted
Wylted
Yeah both things are bad.