Should the KKK be considered a terrorist group?

Author: drlebronski

Total: 24
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
give opinions
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
they used to drive black people from their neighborhoods sometimes kill them and accuse them of crimes that would lead to their hanging. now its just a bunch of southern rednecks with no idea what their talking about. that doesn't mean they should not be considered a terrorist group because killings are still happening by them.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
your post just disappeared, weird.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
Deleted it, as I thought, nah, I know enough about them, for a vague impression of what they've done in the past.
drlebronski
drlebronski
    ok
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
Early iterations, could probably be called a terror group, hence why legislation and effort by government occurred to combat it.

"1 - Individual groups within the organization plan and perform those acts. The overall group in itself does not perform them, and often don't even condone those acts. At the top level the KKK is simply a white pride group, similar to the Black Panthers. The KKK you speak of, is similar to the New Black Panthers.
2 - Al Qaeda, at it's highest level, wanted to attack the United States, and the goal of the entire organization was to perform terrorist acts, or support the acts of terrorism.
There are many groups who have small sections that commit these acts, but the groups themselves are legal because the organization isn't the one performing them. Hell's Angels, MS13, PETA, the Official IRA, the Black Panthers, etc. But just because a few sub-sections of these groups/individual charters commits acts of terrorism doesn't mean the whole organization is a terrorist group and to outlaw them would be to take away their right to peaceful assembly and their right to express their opinion." - ACrusaderA

Modern KKK seems splintered, and shadow of selves former power,
Hear about them protesting now and then, but I don't pay attention.
"It's kind of a broad topic. There is no "the klan". There are tons of splinter klans. And there is some diversity in doctrine. Ours was basically a blanket of fake Christianity with racial overtones. We were dedicated to furthering "White Christian America."" - shamethrowaway77

A gang member might kill someone, but we don't call them terrorists I think.
Terrorist seems vaguely defined, 

There are various different definitions of terrorism, with no universal agreement about it.[4][5] Terrorism is a charged term. It is often used with the connotation of something that is "morally wrong". Governments and non-state groups use the term to abuse or denounce opposing groups.[5][6][7][8][9] Varied political organizations have been accused of using terrorism to achieve their objectives. These include right-wing and left-wing political organizations, nationalist groupsreligious groupsrevolutionaries and ruling governments.[10] Legislation declaring terrorism a crime has been adopted in many states.[11] When terrorism is perpetrated by nation states, it is not considered terrorism by the state conducting it, making legality a largely grey-area issue.[12] There is no consensus as to whether terrorism should be regarded as a war crime.[11][13]
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@drlebronski
Any gang with a propensity for violence is a terrorist group.  
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@drlebronski
They aren't really committing acts of terror anymore, they just rally at the local lakes these days and wave around Confederate flags. I would call them and hate group, but not a terrorist group
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@drlebronski
Please make your personally preferred definition of "terrorist" explicit.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Any gang with a propensity for violence is a terrorist group.  
So, you've just described the NYPD.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Lemming
it is not considered terrorism by the state conducting it, making legality a largely grey-area issue.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
For an American, it's a peculiar experience, to read said videos comments.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Terror is....For sure.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
There's only a few edgelords willing to claim membership in the KKK.

Most of them are wimpy neckbeards with temporary tattoos.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
If I had a choice to join neo nazis and beat the shit out of undeserving non-caucasians and non-heteronormatives etc or to join a gang of hardline anarchists and beat the shit out of neo nazis, I'd go for the latter in a heartbeat.

That's if I had to choose.

I don't have to choose, very lucky for the neo nazis.
Aryanman
Debates: 0
Aryanman
-->
@drlebronski
you sound like you are trying to get to 100 forum posts
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Aryanman
that  and i want to see everyones opinions on the topic
Aryanman
Aryanman
-->
@RationalMadman
i hate anarchists and i hate people who say they want to bomb my country, so i would join neither
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Aryanman
Im not much educated on anarchy but why do you hate them?
Aryanman
Aryanman
-->
@drlebronski
because of the beliefs they stand for
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@drlebronski
I mean, it is kind of hard to tell you now. They aren't really an organization anymore as far as I know.

But when they used violence to intimidate people back in the day to not vote and when they bombed a church? Yeah, they should have been considered one at the time.

Any attempt to designate them that way is honestly a waste of time and just trying to look like you're fixing problems while not actually doing anything substantive.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
There's only a few edgelords willing to claim membership in the KKK.

Most of them are wimpy neckbeards with temporary tattoos.

Most of them are feds lmao
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@RatMan

At the end of the proverbial day, is there much difference between a shit beating neo-nazi and a shit beating hardline anarchist.

All just shit beaters really.

All brawn and no brains, as it were.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Should the KKK be considered a terrorist group?

Let's not forget the US Dept of Justice was created by President US Grant in 1870 because he needed some non-military instrument to go after the Ku Klux Klan.  The Dept. of Justice, even to this day, makes counterterrorism its number one priority and is in charge of keeping a watch out for terrorists likely to attack US citizens and interests.  So, the DoJ is the subject matter expert on both the Klan and terrorism and definitely still considers  a bunch of little groups with Klan in their name  terrorist organizations.  Most Christian Identity terrorists go by other names since the National organization lost that lawsuit in the '80's and went bankrupt and folks are still trying to collect on that payout.  There's a lot of connections and overlaps between Klan groups, neo-Nazis, and new far-right groups like  The Three Percenters, The Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, and Texas Freedom Force with a wide variety of differences in assessments in terms of terrorism.  All were well represented at the Jan 6th terrorist attack on the US Capitol.  The SPLC  noted that the Klan's most popular website, Stormfront, only has a couple of thousand regular visitors but that small group was responsible for more than  a hundred murders in a five year period, more than half of which were designated as terrorists attacks.