And now the Jamaicans want 7 billion in compensation.

Author: zedvictor4

Total: 17
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
Don't they all.

And who came up with that arbitrary amount.

And whose pockets will it end up in.

And I suggest.... If history is that intolerable, than relocate back to Africa....Perhaps you will find some solace there....I doubt it though, you will probably be grinding the racist axe for evermore you handful of racist hypocrites.

I think it's fair to say that sensible people of all origins and all skin colour variations, moved on a long time ago...

And most Jamaicans are probably happy with Jamaica.....But wouldn't say no to a free hand out....Though I doubt if any of the 7 billion would end up in their pockets.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Old pirates, yes, they rob I
Sold I to the merchant ships
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit
But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the Almighty
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly

Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption songs
Redemption songs

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds
Have no fear for atomic energy
'Cause none of them can stop the time
How long shall they kill our prophets
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it
We've got to fulfill the book

Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption songs
Redemption songs
Redemption songs

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our mind
Wo! Have no fear for atomic energy
'Cause none of them-a can-a stop-a the time
How long shall they kill our prophets
While we stand aside and look?
Yes, some say it's just a part of it
We've got to fulfill the book

Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever had
Redemption songs
All I ever had
Redemption songs
These songs of freedom
Songs of freedom

Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@zedvictor4
I don't say this with the intent to challenge the general message of your post, but "I think it's fair to say that sensible people of all origins and all skin colour variations, moved on a long time ago"? Slavery's legacy is far from gone and the effects are seen in the lives black people live in many ways.

Say it's wrong to force the present generations to pay for the sins of the past if you want, but don't pretend like the sins of the past don't affect the reality of the present.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Nyxified
Say it's wrong to force the present generations to pay for the sins of the past if you want, 
In fact, the problem with bigots like this OP is that they fail to understand how unfair the start in life is for the many blacks in ghettos of today specifically due to the enslavement of ancestors of their who worked for the profit of slavemasters at the time (which got passed down to the non-slaves' offspring via inheritance).

The snowball effect is nearly irrefutable if you understand the full depth of it.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@RatMan

The snowball effect is nearly irrefutable.

So it's refutable then?

And your inability to recognise satire, results in slurs such as bigotry.....Which is no more than we expect from RatMan.

Inheritance.

Yep inheritance, good point....Explains a lot if you care to think about it rationally and unemotionally.

And discrimination based upon perceivable differences doesn't snowball, it is constant.

If we were all displayed a darker skin tone we would still discriminate, as did continental Africans long before lighter skinned Europeans came along. Though interestingly the Spanish display a wide variation of skin tone.

Nope..... "Black" Jamaica has jumped aboard the current gravy train of  racially motivated P.C.  

Poor Black Man, Nasty White Man...Give us your money, and lots of it.

Will that change to the past?.....No, it's just designed to line the pockets of  corrupt and discriminatory Jamaicans.

That's the thing...We all actually live for now, it's referred to as survival....Memory and the past is just a convenient and useful survival tool.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
One need only look at our post histories to see which of the two of us goes around using slurs and trolling others.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
This isn't satire, you literally meant your OP, there isn't any satire in this thread from you.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@RatMan.

Are you with the Debateart thought Police.

And you're supposed to be ignoring me.

In order for the block to work, you need to ignore.

Otherwise, you defeat your objective.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@RatMan

And Debateart doesn't mean  having to agree with everything that the RatMan says......That would be Dictateart.

In order to elicit a response, one sometimes needs to provoke.

And if every response was trolling, everyone would be a troll.

And you are easily provoked and easily responded to.

Which is the nature of you and I.
Nyxified
Nyxified
-->
@RationalMadman
I do want to say that I don't disagree with the idea of reparations at all. To be honest, I'm very uneducated on the subject, and that's something I should work on.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Nyxified
It's basically paying people for what was considered a norm at the time.

And sets a precedent for judging all past events by current standards.

In a few years time people will be wanting reparations for the environmental damage caused by the industrial revolution.

And LGBTQ's will have a field day.

Perhaps I could even get some reparations for the enslavement of Britons during the the Roman  or Viking conquests.

No chance, comparative skin colour not provocative enough.

The reality is that all past events shaped all present events.

So if the current situation is so wrong and unbearable, perhaps all  Afro-Caribbean's should return to Africa.

But I guess that they actually quite like it there.

Nope, it really is just about trendy present day racial discrimination for money.
Nyxified
Nyxified
-->
@zedvictor4
I understand the concept of reparations, but rather I don't understand the nuances of how it would work, what it would look like, how long it would last, how much it would cost, if it's even the best idea, etc... In general, I'd probably like to hear the perspective of a few black people before I come to an opinion on it.

I don't think it's wrong to say we should try to ensure fairness in society wherever possible IMO, and racial minorities clearly are playing an unfair game. That's really all I can say with confidence.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Nyxified
I can see the value, people would hold as attempting to treat others as 'human/'individuals, than their race or group.

Though life itself can be unfair.

I see the value in 'reducing intentional or unintentional discrimination, in a society that values humanity more than ethnicity.
Though I'm not 'completely convinced cultures should equally value other cultures, within their own.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
Black people are disproportionately in poorer areas with more police with underfunded areas surrounded by crime but "get over it life is unfair it doesn't matter cause that's how life works so we should not do anything at all to help those who are underprivileged cause that how life works. thats the logic im seeing from thomas sowell right now.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@drlebronski
There are a multitude of reasons why one person might flourish and another not so.

But just because one person displays a lighter skin tone, doesn't automatically make them the reason.

We're all new human organisms today, different data conditioning, different outlook, different motivation.

You can't  blame me for something that happened 200  or more years ago to someone that no one alive  today ever knew.

Take a look at Africa today....A certain percentage of the population flourish whilst others sit around in their tin huts going nowhere.....The hierarchy of inherited ability.

In fact, this always has been a global phenomena. And certainly not just a dark skinned thing....And certainly not my fault.

Nyxified
Nyxified
-->
@zedvictor4
Well, the thing is that nobody is saying it's your fault.

(All of the hypotheticals I present are for the sake of argument. Although I believe them to be true, if they are true can come later, I'd just like to establish this first.)

If it were true that nonwhites have a disadvantage because of the systems of oppression that once existed because of white people that didn't allow them to inherit the same wealth and power as whites and may still exist, then on average/as a group, white people benefit from the oppression their ancestors were the cause of because they inherited at least some of that wealth and power.

Moreover, if that is true then, on average/as a group, black people suffer from said oppression and reparations make sense, because white people would be in a worse position if that oppression had not occurred, and so it is not taking away from you, because you, in a just world, would be in the same place reparations ideally would leave you anyways. This is a hypothetical that leaves a lot of assumptions and questions (how do we make sure that every white person has benefited from oppression and they pay the amount their advantage has allowed them to have?), but if the premises are true, it seems, to me, self evident that reparations in a perfect world make sense.

If we can agree on that, then we only need to ask if we live in an equitable world where all people have the same ability to succeed, and, if they don't, if it's viable to do something to fix it through reparations or other means.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Nyxified
The same ability to succeed.
We might all have the same opportunities available.

But we do not all possess the same ability to utilise such opportunities.

Oppression
Oppression has occurred throughout history, and is far from a white and black thing.

Cherry picking one specific era of oppression relative to skin tone, simply to extract a financial reward. Is to say the least a tad cynical.

At worst, somewhat racist.