Ancient Roman Battles Mafia DP1

Author: ILikePie5

Read-only
Total: 368
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I'm fairly positive drlebronski is an old DDO user tbh although I have no idea who. 
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@badger
he is 18. He also just graduated and wants to take a gap year, which is pissing me off. He has no ideal what he wants to do. I really want to push hard and say

"Listen here idiot, your choices are engineer, doctor or lawyer, in that order."

It's 3 fucking choices. How hard can it be to figure out which is your thing. If you are good at math you do engineering, bad at math doctor and if you are an ashore, lawyer. Fucking easy as fuck to determine your life goals. 
Wylted
Wylted
almost edited ashore to asshole and got mod killed. Close call. 
badger
badger
-->
@Wylted
My buddies these days are all doctors, they work their asses off and studied 10 hours a night every night all through college. If you're smart, do software engineering. The whole field is an IQ test. Raw ability takes it home every time. Put him on leetcode to take a look. 
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
-->
@Wylted
Pie, if somebody loses a vote, would a 2 vs 2 tie mean that we only need 2 votes to lynch?

I don't think Pie will answer that. But if there are 5 players, 2 mafia 3 town, and a townie can't vote, it should be gg for town. 
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
Hey guys, I'm pretty exhausted today, but I'll see what I can do to parse everything so far. I'm not getting a lot of behavioral information from what's been posted, so since we haven't really started in on it, I'd like to start on the theme analysis. Can't say that I'm terribly familiar with most ancient Roman battles, but Greyparrot's claim was on my shortlist for battles that were pretty much guaranteed to be in this (not that that town confirms him). The question is where the split resides, and at least based on comparing both my and his battles, I think it's unlikely that any split is based on locations where the battles were fought. I also think it's unlikely that the split is based on which enemy the Romans fought. Greyparrot's claim does stand out as featuring a major instance of infighting among Roman leaders, a feature that is absent from mine. I guess it's possible that one of these is involved in the split, but at the moment, I doubt it.

I have a couple of ideas for what the split could be that I'd like to start testing. How many of us have battles that the Romans won?
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
I am going to get the ball rolling with a read right off the bat. MAking a bit of a mountain out of a molehill, none of these arguments are hard hitting analysis, mostly gut, but we've got to start somewhere and I actually feel pretty good about this one so far. 

VTL badger.

This one's off to a livelier start. I got the Moderna vaccine today and I'm experiencing strange drunk-like side effects, as if I've ten beers drank, so I'll not be contributing much tonight. So far I believe that I am not mafia, but I can't be certain I read my role right. 
Badger's first post already givesme red flags because he is outlining an excuse for him not to post based on his perception that his state of being will inhibited as if he were drunk. And it's not that I don't believe him that he feels drunk or whatever, it's the opposite. I do believe him and this sounds like something I have said in the past when drunk as mafia. Truth is when your town, you have a lot less reason to care about slipping when drunk then when you are mafia. I do post and often say some ridiculous goofy shit as town, but when I am town I am less focused on what others think of me and more focused on catching scum, so I don't really think about my drunken state as much at the time. But when I am mafia I know to stay far away from the game. 

So already my warning flag is tripped up a bit here. 

My second argument is much much worse for convincing the masses but my gut feels strongly about it; I think mod psyche plays a bit of a role here too. Badger is a returning player who pie would have to be unfamiliar, and I feel like pie would want to see from a mods perspective how badger plays as scum. I am sure he will claim everything is randomized, and I wouldn't go as far as to call him a liar or anything, but if he were to tweak badger into the scum team would it really take away the randomization from the rest of the players? Or you could always do the ol' randomize the list until the person you want end up in the scum slot. Regardless. I think there is incentive to see how badger plays and acts as scum, and pie is someone I think would be deeply interested in pursuing that avenue here as a mod. We don't know how many games we will get badger for, might as well see what he has as a scum player while we got him. Or at least I can see myself maybe doing that if I were mod here.  We are making all the chickens out of all the feathers here. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
VOTE COUNT:

MisterChris (3/6) - Oro, Bron, Wylted
Earth (1/6) - Polyglot
Badger (1/6) - Lunatic

badger
badger
The first bit of that is complete nonsense. I was hammered drunk lol. I tried to read a bit and give up. 

I like the thinking to the second part but it's also incorrect. I could make my arguments here or meta the game also, but I think it's in bad faith. 

Either way, it's a wrong pressure. 
badger
badger
I joined this game to redeem myself and made my stipulations to Pie about that. Now you can read that as lie or not, maybe it's OGI but you just leveraged OGI against me. I think it's fair. 
badger
badger
On some sites OGI is a punishable offense. Not that I agree with it, but just saying lol.

I much prefer playing this game as town. Mafia is too easy honestly. You just let the town implode. 
badger
badger
I kinda think TUF is town here. I was reading him as town before this but this definitely seems a carry on from our previous game where it was me vs. him in final DP. That feels like townie posturing tbh.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@badger
The first bit of that is complete nonsense. I was hammered drunk lol. I tried to read a bit and give up. 
I thought you said you just felt hammered drunk because of the vaccine!

I like the thinking to the second part but it's also incorrect. I could make my arguments here or meta the game also, but I think it's in bad faith. 

Either way, it's a wrong pressure. 
Come on just admit it, you think it's good thinking because it actually happened. Right?!

I joined this game to redeem myself and made my stipulations to Pie about that. Now you can read that as lie or not, maybe it's OGI but you just leveraged OGI against me. I think it's fair. 
Hey don't bring the Office of Geographic Information into this, this is between town and mafia buddy!
badger
badger
No I was very drunk lol. Maybe that's the lie you picked up on. 

I did get vaccinated also though. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@badger
No I was very drunk lol. Maybe that's the lie you picked up on. 

I did get vaccinated also though. 

MMM I get worried about scum slipping when drunk too, I would have dipped as well. Don't blame ya
badger
badger
-->
@Lunatic
Office of Geographic Information
Out of Game Influence. I think it's kinda bullshit tbh. People should be allowed to lie about whatever they want. it's all still lies. 

I was sure we had it here too back in the day. 
badger
badger
-->
@Lunatic
I'm Irish. I was made drunk. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@badger
Out of Game Influence. I think it's kinda bullshit tbh. People should be allowed to lie about whatever they want. it's all still lies. 

I was sure we had it here too back in the day. 

Oh sure, Out of Game Influence is bullshit. Most the time it's wrong too. I won't deny any of that. Making all the chickens out of all the feathers. 
Earth
Earth
I am going to build a wall and make Pompey pay for it.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Lunatic
Fair or no, I agree that everybody who comes to table with an excuse loses a few points on the town-o-meter.  It is just reality that scum wants to be less active and wants to give that inactivity a reason up front to seem less suspicious.

So far, thats-

whiteflame- wedding, hangover
badger- vaccine
earth- sick
misterchris-work

oromagi
oromagi
so far, lunatic and supa are less active than usual
no posters more active than usual
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@oromagi
Fair or no, I agree that everybody who comes to table with an excuse loses a few points on the town-o-meter.  It is just reality that scum wants to be less active and wants to give that inactivity a reason up front to seem less suspicious.

So far, thats-

whiteflame- wedding, hangover
badger-Drunk*
earth- sick
misterchris-work

fix'ed
badger
badger
If Chris foses oro I'll townread him for it tbh. 

Supa and TUF are my two big townreads.
I could go for oro, Wylted, whiteflame here, but that's just ultimate suspicion sort of feelings. I think oro in particular is a danger and an early claim might offset his obvious knowledge on the theme. 

Lunatic
Lunatic
I'll be looking for certain behaviors with oro. So far I am feeling more town vibes but it is very early. 
oromagi
oromagi
THEME ANALYSIS:

The Battle of Actium is a very useful claim in terms of theme if GP is to believed. 

• One possible theme split is Roman victories vs Roman defeats but a famous civil war battle, with no obvious Roman winner, in TOWN refutes this.
  • One possible theme split is Republic vs. Empire.  Officially, the Republic ends in 27 BC when Augustus in made Emperor, an act made possible by victory at Actium, but unofficially the Republic has been dead since Caesar crossed the Rubicon in 49 BC.  My battle is before this and so I'm willing to consider this but Actium is right on the cusp and not at all a clearly Republican battle.
  • One possible theme split is Naval vs Land battles but there were so few Naval battles that Naval would have to be scum.  A naval battle in TOWN refutes this.
  • One possible theme split is Punic vs. non-Punic.  No other series produced so many famous battles but Punic would have to be scum.  That's Cannae, Zama,most likely.
  • One possible theme split is Civil War vs non-Civil War but Actium is Civil War and my battle is not so this split is out.
  • One possible theme split is Eastern Empire vs Western Empire.  Actium was a battle in the East but long before the Eastern Empire.  Eastern Empire had few enough famous victories that it would have to be scum- Milvian Bridge, Catalaunian Plains
  • One possible theme split is pitched battle vs ambushes- scum would be Teutoberg Forest, Carrhae, Arbitus perhaps.

Earth
Earth
-->
@oromagi
When you say it could be East vs West Rome, where do you draw the border?
oromagi
oromagi
OK- here is a list of what I think are probably the famous, popular battles (I might be missing some and some are more famous to some individuals than others- the Seige of Masada, for example.

Without revealing your battles, I would like to know if anybody's battle is NOT on this list:

Cannae
Teutoburg Forest
Alesia
Zama 
Lake Trasimene
Catalaunian Plains
Carrhae
Actium
First and Second Philippi
Trebia
Milvian Bridge
Third Servile War (Spartacus)
Heraclea
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Earth
Earth
Earth
-->
@oromagi
My battle seems to be just inside the East.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
my battle is kinda in that list or atheist included in one of the elements