Archived
Read-only
Total: 46
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@drafterman
We need people to decide winners on debates. We need reporting in order to clear out obvious trolling and biased votes.

Right now, vote reporting in DDO and here has been used as both a tactic to game the debate system to win individual debates, and to harass either people voting, or people in debates.

To make more people want to vote, to increase the legitimacy of every debate win or loss, while we can loosen the standards or change particular rules - without a system that significantly dissuades you from reporting anything for reasons other than the vote is clearly a troll, vote bomb or biased - your going to have significant issues of abuse.

No system is without error, and I will readily admit that if two individuals create an unmoderated voting debate, but don’t specify it as such, or say so in public and one person abuses that agreement - that can happen. It can also happen now with the current system - but instead of a single person doing it, anyone can do it and you as a participant may never know who it is. And that’s a much bigger and more serious problem.

In all honesty, it’s a really good thing to know who is reporting votes on debates. If I’m voting for white flame and virtuoso, I’ll probably be a bit less verbose than if I’m voting for two people who report every vote: I’m also less likely to debate someone who I know reports every vote. That’s good information to have.

I think in reality the voting system in DDO which was copied here is terrible and needs to be completely changed top to bottom, but I think the issue here is not about crafting that perfect ivory tower solution, but to tweak the rules with a minimum amount of effort to make things better and fairer for debaters, voters and moderators.

I genuinely think you’re setting yourself up for failure if you let people without skin in the game, throw spanners into the works.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader

1. No longer post vote remove notices on FF, troll, or conceded debates
Agree
2. Whenever a vote is borderline, default to considering it sufficient (currently implemented)
It is up to the voting moderating Tejretics to decide if that is ok. Borderline could mean good, bad or bad, good. I think that you could have it, to a certain degree.
3. Whenever a vote is removed, explain--briefly--how the voter could improve (currently implemented)
Agree
4. No longer post detailed analysis in notices on non-removed votes 
Disagree
5. Allow only debaters and voters to report votes on debates (this may require non-anonymous reporting)
Disagree
6. Reinstate anonymous reporting
Agree
7. Allow users to summarily post the contents of mod PMs so long as no non-public information about other users (other = not the sender or receiver of the PM) is revealed by the revelation.
Agree
8. Lock objectionable or COC-violating threads instead of deleting them, unless leaving them up would severely breach a user's privacy or safety rights
Agree
9. Allow mods to disclose the reasons for a ban, via PM, upon request by a user
Disagree. Don't be nosy
10. Cap the number of vote reports that a user can make per day at 10
Agree
11. No longer prohibit the use of slurs so long as those slurs are not intended to render insult to the subject of the comment
Agree Agree Agree
12. Make all significant changes in mod policy subject to a mandatory 2-day public comment period
Agree to some extent. As long as it is a policy that NEEDS implementing ASAP

ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Vader
Where's the rule about getting rid of the disgusting feathered vermin that have infested our fair site?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
What are you referring to?
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Vader
Filthy birds, what else could I be referring to?
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
So what's the deal from here?
Castin
Castin
-->
@Vader
Where's the rule about getting rid of the disgusting feathered vermin that have infested our fair site?
Ikr. Vaarka and Supa have pooped on my windshield twice. And they keep pulling out strands of my hair to build their nests with.

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Final bump for feedback before a decision is made.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@bsh1
@drafterman
So I was thinking about 5, after draftermans comments.

I think I have thought of a reasonable alternative. Though to be anonymous, it would need implementation on the site.

Anyone can report, but to report a vote, someone has to provide a reasonable rationale about which part of the vote was not valid, and why. IE: Justify which part of the votes you think do not fulfill voting criteria. Moderators must only moderate based on the criteria raised by the reporter, and can reject incomplete, or nonsense report reasons (and subject the reporter to penalties - if they aren’t anonymous).

I think that could prevent tactical and harassing nf reporting.

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Ramshutu
I like the idea. I think LM proposed something similar.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Castin
Castin
-->
@Ramshutu
So there would be like a text window where the reporter would explain the reason for the report?
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
So my idea was to eventually implement the reporting system as most websites have it, you click the report button, then you select category of the report, then you put in some description of what is wrong with this specific instance and only then you submit it, so it's definitely going to be there.

What we have now is simply a compromise between having a proper reporting system and not having one at all. 
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@DebateArt.com
Sounds good.
David
Debates: 92
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
ye is love this idea 
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
What Mike is intentionally leaving out is that that system, which is indeed on every website even the Reddit which drafterman champions so proudly, has zero anonymity to the reporter and so it should.

Stop pretending anonymous reporting is a good thing. Punish shit reporters, hold dear the reports of reputable ones.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
@bsh1
Yeah, it will definitely require more effort to be a responsible "reporter" and it will remove some load from our shoulders, hopefully.