How Science lost the Publics Trust

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 84
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
How Science lost the Publics Trust

"‘Science” has become a political catchword. “I believe in science,” Joe Bidentweeted six days before he was elected president. “Donald Trump doesn’t. It’s that simple, folks.”

"But what does it mean to believe in science? The British science writer Matt Ridley draws a pointed distinction between “science as a philosophy” and “science as an institution.” The former grows out of the Enlightenment, which Mr. Ridley defines as “the primacy of rational and objective reasoning.” The latter, like all human institutions, is erratic, prone to falling well short of its stated principles. Mr. Ridley says the Covid pandemic has “thrown into sharp relief the disconnect between science as a philosophy and science as an institution.”

i have to agree with the WSJ here
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
So....Republicans lost faith in science because they discovered that that science was like all other human institutions?  Does it not follow that if all human institutions are alike in imperfection, that Republicans have given up on all human institutions?  This would certainly explain their public policy choices of the last twenty years.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi
  • why has science become a buzz word 
  • why is skeptical science instantly shut down

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Dr.Franklin
why is skeptical science instantly shut down
...if it were science, the "skeptical" would not be necessary. 

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Science (from Latin scientia 'knowledge') is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations  and predictions about the universe. Without science Man would only live to be 30 years old and  3/4 of his children would die before they were 15 years old.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
-->@oromagi
  • why has science become a buzz word 
  • I fault the premise.  A buzz word is fashionable jargon.  Science has been used in its popular context since at least Galileo Galilei.
  • why is skeptical science instantly shut down.
  • It's not.  My guess is that what you want to call skeptical science is not science at all but faith-based argument or obvious deception.  Real science contradicting the present paradigm is typically placed at the center of scientific controversy.

are we done with your OP?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I still remember the first time someone explained to me the difference between "the scientific method" and "scientism". [LINK]

An astronomer, a physicist and a mathematician are on a train in Scotland. The astronomer looks out of the window, sees a black sheep standing in a field, and remarks, "How odd. All the sheep in Scotland are black!" "No, no, no!" says the physicist. "Only some Scottish sheep are black." The mathematician rolls his eyes at his companions' muddled thinking and says, "In Scotland, there is at least one sheep, at least one side of which appears to be black from here some of the time." [**]
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
An astronomer, a physicist and a mathematician are on a train in Scotland. The astronomer looks out of the window, sees a black sheep standing in a field, and remarks, "How odd. All the sheep in Scotland are black!" "No, no, no!" says the physicist. "Only some Scottish sheep are black." The mathematician rolls his eyes at his companions' muddled thinking and says, "In Scotland, there is at least one sheep, at least one side of which appears to be black from here some of the time." [**]
i like that
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@SkepticalOne
its clear you dont know science at all bud

being skeptical is part of being a scientist
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@FLRW
Science (from Latin scientia 'knowledge') is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations  and predictions about the universe. Without science Man would only live to be 30 years old and  3/4 of his children would die before they were 15 years old.
thats great but has science lost the publics trust?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi
  • I fault the premise.  A buzz word is fashionable jargon.  Science has been used in its popular context since at least Galileo Galilei.
  • why is skeptical science instantly shut down.
  • It's not.  My guess is that what you want to call skeptical science is not science at all but faith-based argument or obvious deception.  Real science contradicting the present paradigm is typically placed at the center of scientific controversy.

are we done with your OP?
science is currently a buzz word and people like to say "oh, your anti science if X"

and "skeptical science" is real science. its the purpose of science
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
science is currently a buzz word and people like to say "oh, your anti science if X"
I don't think you can call it a buzzword if you are using a common word in its most common sense.  That's just talking.   Oh, you are anti-science if you think the COVID vaccine is worse than the disease, etc.  That's just ordinary word usage.

and "skeptical science" is real science. its the purpose of science
Skeptical Science has become a resource about climate change, and praised for its straightforwardness.  Marine biologist Ove Hoegh-Guldberg has described it as "the most prominent knowledge-based website dealing with climate change in the world", and The Washington Post has praised it as the "most prominent and detailed" website to counter arguments by global warming deniers.  In September 2011, the site won the 2011 Eureka Prize from the Australian Museum in the category of Advancement of Climate Change Knowledge.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi
I don't think you can call it a buzzword if you are using a common word in its most common sense.  That's just talking.   Oh, you are anti-science if you think the COVID vaccine is worse than the disease, etc.  That's just ordinary word usage.
but it is too often used to shut down actual science, hence its usage as a buzzword

what do you think Biden meant by saying"im pro science, trump isnt", "its that simple folks"?

Skeptical Science has become a resource about climate change, and praised for its straightforwardness.  Marine biologist Ove Hoegh-Guldberg has described it as "the most prominent knowledge-based website dealing with climate change in the world", and The Washington Post has praised it as the "most prominent and detailed" website to counter arguments by global warming deniers.  In September 2011, the site won the 2011 Eureka Prize from the Australian Museum in the category of Advancement of Climate Change Knowledge.
Skeptical Science is owned by john Cook, a cartoonist who displayed himself as a NAZI for an unexplained reason. Every single one of his claims has been REFUTED

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Dr.Franklin
its clear you dont know science at all bud

being skeptical is part of being a scientist

Yah. Thats the point. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@SkepticalOne
why is "skeptical" not neccessariy then, mr. skepticalone
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
-->@oromagi
but it is too often used to shut down actual science, hence its usage as a buzzword

I don't think the definition of buzzword includes shutting down science.

what do you think Biden meant by saying"im pro science, trump isnt", "its that simple folks"?
Very straightforward.  BIden has some basic science literacy and trusts expert opinion.  Trump was never pro-anything except pro-Donald Trump but he has certainly demonstrated a lack of basic science literacy and a powerful distrust of all facts in all fields of study that do not engage Trump's immediate self-interest.

Skeptical Science is owned by john Cook, a cartoonist who displayed himself as a NAZI for an unexplained reason. Every single one of his claims has been REFUTED

I'm trying to get you to define skeptical science.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
ery straightforward.  BIden has some basic science literacy and trusts expert opinion.  Trump was never pro-anything except pro-Donald Trump but he has certainly demonstrated a lack of basic science literacy and a powerful distrust of all facts in all fields of study that do not engage Trump's immediate self-interest.
trump was very good with science, he developed the vaccine and worked with the companies. biden, well what has biden does wotj science opinion

I'm trying to get you to define skeptical science.
concession for John cook being a lying scum

anyway, "skeptical science" refers to science that isnt mainstream
oromagi
oromagi

Added07.30.21 04:41PM
ery straightforward.  BIden has some basic science literacy and trusts expert opinion.  Trump was never pro-anything except pro-Donald Trump but he has certainly demonstrated a lack of basic science literacy and a powerful distrust of all facts in all fields of study that do not engage Trump's immediate self-interest.
trump was very good with science,

lollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollol

• Suppressed the  Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report,  tried repeatedly to change, delay, or remove reports about COVID-19, suppressed govt. warnings about the dangers of hydrocholoquine for more than a month
  • demanded that Fauci stop promoting mask usage and COVID testing for children
  • took $300 million away from the CDC during a pandemic to fund a celebrity "bring America back" campaign
  • ordered the frequency of testing to be reduced to reduce the number of cases reported
  • over-ruled CDC recommendations for mask wearing and quashed publication of those recommendations
  • demanded that schools remain open fall 2020
  • called for an end to all lockdowns on Oct 5, 2020
  • Ordered Dept of Agriculture scientists to relocate to Kansas City, causing a mass exodus of climate change and food security scientists out of government- some depts lost 90% of their scientists.
  • Accidently said that Hurricane Dorian was going to hit Alabama and rather than admit his mistake, spent 3 days ordering climatologists to misstate the threat to Alabama and interfering with and editing Federal reports during a lethal National Emergency
  • Gutted the Environment Protection Agency and most Federal efforts addressing climate change
    • Edited and removed federal warnings of toxicity on products
  • Banned the use of "climate change," or "Paris Agreement" in government memos
  • etc, etc, etc
  • Anthony Fauci:  "With every other president, whether they were conservative, moderate, or liberal, the guidepost for everything was a deep respect for science. That was always the case. When I got involved with Trump, it went into a different world, the likes of which I had not experienced.  He didn't undermine me, because I didn't give a shit about him. I didn't really care what he said, because my home base was [NIAID]."   Fauci added that he did not "take any great pleasure in contradicting"  Trump, but felt obliged to do so "as a symbol to the rest of the world that science is not going to flinch in the face of somebody who's spouting nonsense."
    • That's the most respected scientist in the US today affirming that the POTUS is "spouting nonsense"
lollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollol

he developed the vaccine and worked with the companies.

agreed.  He did help hurry up the vaccine development and production and gets some real credit for that.

biden, well what has biden does wotj science opinion
  • Raised Chief Scientist to a cabinet level position
  • Rejoined Paris Climate accords
  • Killed the useless XL pipeline
  • Rescinded all bans and directives regarding the freeexhcange of scientific information at NIH, CDC, EPA, USDA, etc.
  • disbursed billions to increase the availability of medicaid, heathcare, childcare, living wage for parents, minimum wage for Federal employees all according to overwhelming consensus of scientific opinion
  • took management of space programs away from the National Security Council and gave it back to NASA, ordered the Artemis program back on track
  • etc., etc., etc.
"skeptical science" refers to science that isnt mainstream
Why all the tapdancing?  Why don't you just give some specific example?

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
  • Suppressed the  Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report,  tried repeatedly to change, delay, or remove reports about COVID-19, suppressed govt. warnings about the dangers of hydrocholoquine for more than a month
  • demanded that Fauci stop promoting mask usage and COVID testing for children
  • took $300 million away from the CDC during a pandemic to fund a celebrity "bring America back" campaign
  • ordered the frequency of testing to be reduced to reduce the number of cases reported
  • over-ruled CDC recommendations for mask wearing and quashed publication of those recommendations
  • demanded that schools remain open fall 2020
  • called for an end to all lockdowns on Oct 5, 2020
  • Ordered Dept of Agriculture scientists to relocate to Kansas City, causing a mass exodus of climate change and food security scientists out of government- some depts lost 90% of their scientists.
  • Accidently said that Hurricane Dorian was going to hit Alabama and rather than admit his mistake, spent 3 days ordering climatologists to misstate the threat to Alabama and interfering with and editing Federal reports during a lethal National Emergency
  • Gutted the Environment Protection Agency and most Federal efforts addressing climate change
    • Edited and removed federal warnings of toxicity on products
  • Banned the use of "climate change," or "Paris Agreement" in government memos
  • etc, etc, etc
  • Anthony Fauci:  "With every other president, whether they were conservative, moderate, or liberal, the guidepost for everything was a deep respect for science. That was always the case. When I got involved with Trump, it went into a different world, the likes of which I had not experienced.  He didn't undermine me, because I didn't give a shit about him. I didn't really care what he said, because my home base was [NIAID]."   Fauci added that he did not "take any great pleasure in contradicting"  Trump, but felt obliged to do so "as a symbol to the rest of the world that science is not going to flinch in the face of somebody who's spouting nonsense."
    • That's the most respected scientist in the US today affirming that the POTUS is "spouting nonsense"
most of these things are literally good, like "Gutted the Environment Protection Agency and most Federal efforts addressing climate change", lmao based trump agw is false
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@oromagi
Dr Fanklin { trumpeteer } = .."Free radicals are unstable atoms that can damage cells, causing illness and aging. Free radicals are linked to aging and a host of diseases, but little is known about their role in human health, or how to prevent them from making people sick."...

And so it goes with free radicala attacking the integrity of all peoples who follow rational, logical common sense  truths associated with the scientific methodology and those resultants.

Masks help to mitigate air borne disiease, and the free radical cries out government conspiracy, to control our lives and institiute systems of government that enslave humanity. 

Is any wonder humanity is doomed with at least 74 million of these free radicals running around loose /free in USA?

End date for humanity 2232 { approx. }
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ebuc
Is any wonder humanity is doomed with at least 74 million of these free radicals running around loose /free in USA?
FREEDOM = EVIL
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Dr.Franklin
why is skeptical science instantly shut down
I have never heard the term "skeptical science". You would need to give a specific example for this question to be answered.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Lol didn't realize Oromagi already asked the question I just asked. I guess that's what I get for responding to a post before reading the whole thread.

Anyway it looks like neither of us are going to get an answer. Unfortunate.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Dr.Franklin
biden, well what has biden does wotj science opinion

This honestly is a good point though and I would like your honest opinion about the below quote by him from the beginning of the pandemic when there was no vaccine in sight and death tolls were steadily rising, giving his input on ways to treat the virus:

A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world [the world of thinking], which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting, right?
What do you think about this quote in relation to your comments about his scientific literacy?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
FREEDOM = EVIL

False 3ru, free radicals { unstable atoms } = unstable conspiratorial activistist that,  most often are the immoral Trumpets, immoral trumpeteers, and Qanon type, repeating the same lies, false info, misleading narrative on masks, and vaccines, over and over and over and over and over again and again and again etc.

...."Free radicals are unstable atoms that can damage cells, causing illness and aging. Free radicals are linked to aging and a host of diseases, but little is known about their role in human health, or how to prevent them from making people sick."......LINK.....

GP Dr Fank and few others around here believe they are 'radicals' out to save the world from government of lizard people who only want to controll all of humanity.   What exactly would be so bad ab out having a government in  control of its peoples is not year clear.

It seems to me, that, the  correct/proper  control of the people may lead humanity onto a  better trajectory than the one we are on now ie. an end date prognosticaion by me, of 2232 { approx. }.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ebuc
It seems to me, that, the  correct/proper  control of the people may lead humanity onto a  better trajectory than the one we are on now
VOTE EBUC FOR PRESIDENT OF PLANET EARTH

Tell us, fearless leader, how would you, in your unparalleled wisdom, how would you fix this mess?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
All right.  Well, if you think that Trump withholding treatment data from the public was good then I think we've established where you are coming from.  Let's refute the premise that "Science has lost the public's trust"

According to Gallup's 2021 Confidence in Institutions poll, Science is one of the most trusted institutions in America.  

64% of Americans say they trust science a Great deal/Quite a lot.  That might not seem impressive until compared to other results:

51% trust the Police
44% trust the Medical system
38% trust the Presidency
37% trust Organized Religion
36% trust the Supreme Court
33% trust Banks
32% trust Public Schools
29% trust Big Tech
28% trust Labor Unions
21% trust Newspapers
20% trust Criminal Justice
18% trust Big Business
16% trust TV news
12% trust Congress

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
people also lost trust in science when people like fauci came out and said that BLM protests could not spread covid19. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
64% of Americans say they trust science a Great deal/Quite a lot.

18% trust Big Business
16% trust TV news
12% trust Congress
sO, when members of Congress are shown on TV news, which is owned by Big Business, and they claim to know "the science" which part of this house-of-cards are we supposed to "trust" ??
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Wylted
people also lost trust in science when people like fauci came out and said that BLM protests could not spread covid19. 

Fauci says "crowding together" does increase risk of spread.

Fauci refuses to say "protests should be limited".