Can both sex and gender be protected classes? Which should be prioritized?

Author: TheMorningsStar

Total: 10
TheMorningsStar
Debates: 0
TheMorningsStar
One of the biggest issues I feel never gets talked about when it comes to the politics surrounding trans rights is how to protect both sex and gender as classes.

For example, let's look at a common issue that is brought up, restrooms. Restrooms are currently segregated, but a question needs to be asked, are they to be segregated based on sex or gender? One cannot 'protect' both simultaneously, as if you have them segregated by sex then regardless of gender identity you will use the restroom of your biological sex, but if you segregate based on gender then the initial reasons for creating these 'separate but equal' spaces is being violated, protecting people based on sex.

The same thing can be said about sports. They initially became segregated due to the sex differences, but the push for trans-rights has the push for having the segregation be based on gender instead.

To me, it seems that one cannot have both sex and gender as protected classes, and so we have to ask why one should be prioritized over the other. Should sex be a protected class or should gender? If sex, why not gender? If gender, why not sex?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Good question.

And currently I cannot offer an  answer.

Let's see what others have to say.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@TheMorningsStar
If sex or gender is a protected class, political ideology should also be.  I don’t want people discriminated against for being conservative or even a member of the KKK.  I also don’t think BLM or Communists should be discriminated against.  It doesn’t matter how extreme your ideology is, you shouldn’t be discriminated against because of it.

The one exception to this is for religious reasons.  If a church doesn’t want to let women serve in the clergy because of the Bible, show me the Bible verse that supports that and I would allow it under the first amendment:
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@TheUnderdog
If sex or gender is a protected class, political ideology should also be
While I do agree that there needs to be more freedom of political identity then what we currently have, I do not see how this follows.

Sex is an uncontrollable biological aspect of a person, and some would argue that gender identity is as well. Political ideology, however, is not. Why should they be treated the same?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Sex is an uncontrollable biological aspect of a person, and some would argue that gender identity is as well. Political ideology, however, is not.
So your saying that someone who is right wing can immediately decide to become left wing or vice versa?  You can't force people to change their opinions in a free society.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@TheUnderdog
That is a strawman. It doesn't matter if it can be done immediately or not, sex, race, etc. are immutable characteristics, political persuasion is not. Should political identity be protected? Yes, in the same way that freedom of expression and freedom of religion are. Should it be compared to immutable characteristics? No.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Whether something is immutable or not is irrelevant, political ideology should be protected under the law and businesses can't fire or refuse to hire you based on your political ideology jst like with race or gender.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@TheUnderdog
Are you naturally dense or did you have to practice? I have agreed with you that it should be protected, I just have made it clear that it should not be compared to immutable characteristics. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with the OP. If it was a discussion about an immutable characteristic then it could be tangentially related but it isn't.

10 days later

drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@TheUnderdog
so your saying
i recommend not doing that it almost always results in a strawman i know from experience
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Masculine women are more likely to he the target of bathroom discrimination than feminine men

Just one more reason trans men want to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with.