I actually want to be watched by my government 24/7(clickbait)

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 20
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Mass surveillance isn't the bad thing here: The abuse of power due to it is the main cause of problem. I think a society where everyone is watched and footage of everyone at every segment of time is possible to be acquired in a database, but the user of the surveillance doesn't abuse the power to absolutely punish everything they like, and use those footages to punish those that commit rape, murder, etc... That is a good society right here. There is not even need for "witnesses", any problem have real-time evidence and every criminal will be found responsible.

However, I can see how this is near impossible. I can hardly think that a government can keep in this state for a decade before going out of control and abuse its powers.

As for people not wanting to comply, there is nothing scary with it, mass surveillance in this way should be done chill. the phobia of it is due to that in past attempts it has been done the complete wrong way: To instill power and propaganda instead of actually having more evidence for crime, etc.

If this kind of government exists and is shown to have little to no corruption, then I am all for it. China is currently the closest thing to this, but sadly even then they still instill propaganda and punish people who just criticize the state. Disappointing, yes, but it also means it is the easiest to transform into this, where it is extremely easy to find evidence for everything and solve problems for everyone.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
And if you ask, no, I am not afraid of governmental agents watching me masturbating. The only thing I would hate is that governmental agents repeatedly telling me to stop, thus instilling their morals onto me. Morality should be subjective when it comes to little things like this. The described ideal society should have governmental agents totally chill with me masturbating or in the future, having sex.

Though, in my opinion, when they see child torture or similar things, they should immediately stop the criminal because it is an act that would be seen as wrong if one assumes society exists.
Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@Intelligence_06
You're correct, but as you stated (I think?), the problem with it is the capacity for it to be exploited. I have no problem with the government knowing everything about me for the purpose of, for example, ensuring I am safe and don't harm others, but I know that it would extend far beyond that. How do we ensure that nobody is masturbating to me having sex or that police won't use this as an excuse to harass minorities or that the government won't use it to try and build profiles on a citizen's political beliefs or any number of things like that? We can't.

Governments inherently seek more power. It's better for them to be able to know every political dissident, but it's not better for the political dissident or society at large. I have 5 bijillion extensions on Firefox and go to considerable lengths to ensure I give websites and companies the least amount of data (do you have any idea how boring it is to actually read the privacy policy of every website you're on?) because I know that it's going to be used to invade my privacy for nefarious or profit-making purposes. I guess exploitation is where I draw the line, per se. I'd be hella uncomfortable with the government knowing all about me and seeing my every move, but were I 100% certain it was 100% good and effective and keeping people safe, I'd live with it. The government just can never reach that point.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@Nyxified
I have no problem with the government knowing everything about me for the purpose of, for example, ensuring I am safe and don't harm others
i don't know about you but the idea of the state knowing about everything i do more so than my family would know about me strikes me as super authoritarian and weird.  reminds me of a book i read a while ago called 1984
Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@drlebronski
It is super authoritarian and I don't support it. All I was claiming is that it is not inherently authoritarian or bad, but rather it's because of the nature of people, nature of government, and the capacity for corruption and abuse that make it utterly horrifying.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@Nyxified
even if theoretically the capacity for corruption and abuse that make it utterly horrifying disappeared i still wouldn't accept that. it is inherently evil it would make everyone fearful at all times knowing if they a break a single law they are being watched.
laws from the war on drugs would be enforced way more thus affecting the black community.
  the state has no business knowing what 2 consensual adults are doing in their house, hotel room, etc.
no one would have their right to privacy.

68 days later

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
We know you're a resident of China, no need to brag about how proud you are of having zero privacy.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
If this kind of government exists and is shown to have little to no corruption, then I am all for it. China is currently the closest thing to this, 
you should run a comedy skit
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Intelligence_06
If all surveillance was managed and mediates by AI, that would flag only illegal actions; and warranted requested, and would self destruct if tampered with - would surveillance be okay?
BigPimpDaddy
Debates: 5
BigPimpDaddy
China is currently the closest thing to this
hilarious.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Ramshutu
Surveillance is okay unless people hate them. A good amount of surveillance helps people from thieves and criminals.

22 days later

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Doesn't China use surveillance to remove political opposition? I guess that's a crime in China.

33 days later

Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Intelligence_06
I'd be okay with this as long as society understands i need sex and drugs. 
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
Have you guys heard of LOVEINT? If it’s easy to get away with that shit, imagine what other creepy stuff they get up to. 
Who watches the watchmen? 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Reece101
Excellent point:
Who watches the watchmen?

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
We know you're a resident of China, no need to brag about how proud you are of having zero privacy.
I might brag about how great my country was too if I knew they were taking notes of my every word and using that info to determine my Social Credit score.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Then you'd lose points (yes, I am certain),

SC favours quiet, obedient people.

If you do a heroic act, you lose score (just less than an active villain would). The people cowering to a robber of a bank score higher than the one who risks his/her life to tackle him down. I know this because I researched how it most likely works.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@RationalMadman
What’s the point of risking your life and others for a bank? Reality will play out differently than what you would imagine. It probably won’t finish with you getting laid. On the other hand If you/others are in immediate danger of being killed, that’s a different story I’d say.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Reece101
Reality can also play differently than you would imagine if you go along with their demands, just because they say they won't kill you if you obey doesn't mean that's actually what will happen.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@RationalMadman
If they give a definite signal that they are going to start killing hostages for some stupid reason, then yeah I’d say playing the hero would be justified. 
But do you really think it’s 50/50 getting killed going along with their demands versus being defiant? That’s what it sounds like. There’s a large amount of statistics and research out there.