Homelessness in New York City

Author: Polyglot

Total: 6
Polyglot
Debates: 0
Polyglot

In this link Homelessness in New York is discussed and the reasons behind it. One point that was brought up is that eviction plays a huge role in homelessness in New York.

My question is why are people so tied to New York where they struggle so hard to pay rent to the point of being homeless?

I myself am a New Yorker and also have had this issue of affording life in that city. However, after moving to China where the cost of living is significantly cheaper I am able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment with a balcony all for around $700 USD per month. That is for a very nice apartment in the downtown area of the city I live in China. I’m able to save about a thousand dollars per month and invest and grow wealth.

So why can’t New Yorkers in these situations do the same by moving to other affordable cities in the US or even abroad where they can afford a life worth living?

It seems the focus to stay in New York will continue driving people to homelessness.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polyglot
Homelessness usually means a lack of a lot of things.....Material and intellectual.

You clearly possess the where with all.

Polyglot
Polyglot
-->
@zedvictor4
So you are saying that these people lack the intellectual knowledge to move somewhere else?

I can agree with that since when I was in this situation and around those people many of them haven’t even left their borough in the city. 
Polyglot
Polyglot
So is gentrification inherently a bad thing?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polyglot
Human/Social evolution is based upon survival of the fittest.

Intellectual fitness is as important as physical fitness, if not more so....Though the two do perhaps go hand in glove.

Gentrification is the manifestation of human social evolution....So therefore an inevitable thing.

"Good" or not is how on cares to construct it.....I personally think that it is probably for the better.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Polyglot
 why are people so tied to New York

“If I'd lived in Roman times, I'd have lived in Rome. Where else? Today America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself.”

-John Lennon