Topic's posts

Posts in total: 49
  • keithprosser
    keithprosser avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 3,289
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser
    Imagine a vast, clockwork machine.   It has millions of finely detailed cogs and levers pulling and pushing on each other.   I want you to imagine it is as beautiful and complicated as you can.

If we watch the machine we see the cogs turning and the levers pushing, but it doesn't have any purpose.   It runs and ticks, the wheels and cogs spin and turn and the levers push and pull in complicated ways but all without purpose.  It will continue to tick pointlessly until the day it breaks and stops forever, having done nothing except spin its cogs and push its levers.   As far as we can tell the machine came from nowhere and having done so ticks in futile purposelessness to an end, all for nothing.

That is only an initial at a metaphor of the universe - no doubt it can be criticised and improved!  The point it that I can imagine there are people who can and cannot accept it as a metaphor of the universe.    If you can then you are probably an atheist - I suggest typical theists cannot accept that the universe is a pointless mechanism that runs for no reason with no purpose, no meaning nor goal to it.

• janesix
    janesix avatar
    Debates: 8
    Forum posts: 1,496
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @keithprosser
    Even though I'm not an atheist, there still may be no ultimate meaning to this existence. Although that though may just be a holdover from my atheist days. 
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Debates: 4
    Forum posts: 7,239
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    No reason, purpose, or goal?

What is so hard about accepting that it is here to do what it does?

• Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    Psychology of atheists

It's all about me.

Whatbdoes that mean?

Arbitrary personal aesthetics.

• janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @Mopac
    Atheists are no different from anyone else. 
  • EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    Forum posts: 2,211
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @keithprosser
    As far as we can tell the machine came from nowhere and having done so ticks in futile purposelessness to an end, all for nothing.

We means who exactly? you mean Keith? because meanwhile the majority of the world has come to the obvious conclusion that we know where it comes from and what the purpose is. Keep in mind, a purpose is a purpose and it doesn't matter the purpose of the purpose lol. A purpose could be anything from a desire to a mega plan. Either way, your comment applies to you only because many have witnessed what is really going on here. So make sure you know it is you who knows nothing and has no purpose.

That is only an initial at a metaphor of the universe - no doubt it can be criticised and improved!  The point it that I can imagine there are people who can and cannot accept it as a metaphor of the universe.    If you can then you are probably an atheist - I suggest typical theists cannot accept that the universe is a pointless mechanism that runs for no reason with no purpose, no meaning nor goal to it.

So you would rather we pretend accept that we believe what you're saying? we aren't the ones in a state of denial because that would depend upon what is actually true and what actually is the case. if you know nothing as you claim, have no purpose in life so you say...why should we accept ignorance? perhaps you should step into the simplistic, glorious light of true undistorted awareness? the psychology of atheism doesn't have to exist, the atheist creates it all himself, then holds onto it, then claims it's others that are in denial and won't accept things.....

• janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @EtrnlVw
    The majority of the world knows what the purpose is? Are you sure about that?

What is this purpose that everyone knows?
  • keithprosser
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser
    --> @EtrnlVw
    It strikes me you don't go for my metaphor!  The OP was about the metaphor may be more acceptable to atheists than theists so I think you helping to make my point!

• EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @janesix
    You live that purpose everyday. I would assume that those who have accepted a Creator also have accepted there is a purpose in creating things. Again, that purpose can be any purpose. 
  • EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @Mopac
    I get it, but again, it doesn't have to exist. You make it exist. 
  • EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @keithprosser
    The OP was about the metaphor may be more acceptable to atheists than theists

Of course it's more acceptable to atheists because they hold a materialistic worldview, which means there really should be no reason we are here...I also don't accept it because you're believing things that are not the case. What reason do you really have to hold onto atheist psychology? 
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @janesix
    Atheists are not any different than anyone else, you are correct.

But atheism as a position is a denial of The Truth.

So arbitrariness is built into atheist philosophy.

• Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Forum posts: 1,713
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @Mopac
    But atheism as a position is a denial of The Truth.
    With you who plays word games, "The Truth" is your own personal set of religious beliefs.

• janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @Mopac
    Atheism isn't denial. It is simply lack of belief.
  • keithprosser
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser
    --> @janesix
    Sometimes you annoy me because you mix excellent and intelligent insights such as the above post with some really off-the-wall left-field stuff!   I'm glad at least you understand atheism!

I don't deny god or hate god or fight god - Its just that I don't think there are any such thing as gods.  I know a lot of people do believe gods exist (or 'God' exists) but i don't.

• janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @keithprosser
    Try living my life for a few weeks, and you would understand the off the wall stuff. I would have thought the stuff I say is off the wall a decade ago. 
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @keithprosser
    The Truth is God.

Don't listen to goldtop, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Imean exactly what I am saying. The Truth.

The Supreme and Ultimate Reality.

That is what God means.

And I think that anyone who understands what that means and is honest can know with a certainty that God must exist, and that there isn't another option.

My position is that atheists don't understand what God means so their rejection or lack of belief comes from an ignorance of the concept itself.

Well, here is your good news for today if you choose to accept it.

The Truth is God, and to love God is to love The Truth.

• Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @janesix
    Denial of The Truth or lack of belief in the existence of The Truth.

Either way, it is a position that comes from

Ignorance of the identity of God(The Truth).

Attachment to lying vanities and idolatry.

Aversion to that which exposes the lying vanities and idolatry.

Those who put their trust in these lying vanities forsake their own mercy. Salvation is of God.

• janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @Mopac
    I was an atheist for 37 years, i can assure you you are way off base. I simply had no reason to believe. I didn't even think about it.

• Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @janesix
    You have no good reason to not believe The Truth.
  • janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @Mopac
    NOW I have reason. Before, none. 

What are your "good reasons" to believe in God, from an atheist's point of view?
  • keithprosser
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser
    --> @janesix
    Try living my life for a few weeks, and you would understand the off the wall stuff. I would have thought the stuff I say is off the wall a decade ago. 
    No thanks...Living my life is hard enough as it is, J!

• janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @keithprosser
    Well I won't trade with you, mine's just weird, not hard

lol
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @janesix
    So you don't believe in The Truth?
  • janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @Mopac
    I believe in God. I don't know what the Truth is, whatever that means.