Conservative logic

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 20
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Conservatives: We believe in freedom of speech.  If your a racist, we disagree but you should be allowed to state racist opinions.  You can be as theocratic as you want and you should get freedom of speech.

Also conservatives: We can't let these Muslims in here; they will vote for socially conservative policies such as banning abortion and implementing Shriah law.

Me: You'd figure the conservatives would want more immigration and liberals would want less of it because immigrants tend to be socially conservative on issues like abortion and religious freedom.

Conservatives: We support the right to bear arms to defend against a tyrannical government.

Hypothetical undocumented immigrant: Uses 2nd amendment to defend against a tyrannical government (ICE)

Conservatives: Disarm the terrorist for daring to buy a gun.

Me: But you just said you support the 2nd amendment to defend against tyranny?

Conservatives: We want less government spending, even though the states that receive the most amount of government spending are red states.

Me: Why isn't rich California and New York voting republican and poor Tennessee voting democrat?
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
lol you do realize that liberals don't want immigrants because they support democrats or not.
its fair.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@drlebronski
Liberals want more immigrants than what is currently in the county.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@TheUnderdog
no they want people from other countries to have the right to immigrate.
it doesnt matter how many there are as long as they have the right to come into the country.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@TheUnderdog
All over the place.  Do you have a thesis you want us to respond to?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
Liberals want more immigrants than what is currently in the county.

Poor liberals disagree.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
@drlebronski

Liberals want more immigration and they argue it is good for the country.  If immigration was good for immigrants and bad for the country then less people would support it.

You blocked me for some reason.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
I just think the right is being inconsistent.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
Poor liberals tend to be more pro immigrant than rich conservatives.  Poor liberals don't care if an immigrant abuses the welfare system because poor liberals do the same thing.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
You don't understand what poor people have to deal with. Immigrants are no competition for the average middle class liberal.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
They aren't competition with the poor either.

If the poor are worried about unemployment rising, I don't think this is going to happen because the counties with the highest proportion of immigrants (big cities) tend to have lower unemployment rates because due to their high populations, they attract more and more jobs from elsewhere.

In addition to being a worker in the economy, every immigrant is a customer.  Workers take jobs from the economy, yet customers create them at a proportional rate.  This is why America's population tends to go up and the unemployment rate (with the exceptions of recessions and depressions) tends to go down (because more housing is needed for the migrants and the private sector creates jobs from this opportunity).  

Not only that, but poor Americans often have seniority at their jobs.  If an immigrant (documented or otherwise) gets hired for a job, it won't be at the expense of a native born worker because there are now more customers in the economy and more customers creates more business which creates more jobs, and the extra seniority would prevent them from getting fired from their job.

Thoughts?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
Unrestricted Immigration is only detrimental in welfare nations. It causes scarcity of welfare resources for the existing poor.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheUnderdog
: You'd figure the conservatives would want more immigration and liberals would want less of it because immigrants tend to be socially conservative on issues like abortion and religious freedom.
um no, most immigrants vote democrat
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
Then get rid of all welfare in the United States.  I don't want undocumented immigrants or anybody else mooching off of taxpayers.  I still don't care if they merely exist in the US.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
WOW!

Genius! YOU SOLVED IMMIGRATION!

Amazing. You just take away welfare and it's all solved. Everything is better. Incredible.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Most immigrants are fiscally liberal, socially conservative (except on immigration).  People tend to vote on social issues, but the immigration issue is a big enough issue for immigrants and this explains why they tend to vote left.

If the GOP wants immigrant votes, they need to appeal to undocumented immigrants because most immigrants know a few open undocumented people that they sympathize with.  Otherwise, they will lose elections by bigger and bigger margins as America has more 1st generation immigrants that tend to vote on the immigration issue.  
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
I don't want undocumented immigrants consuming welfare as this makes them a burden to society.  If your willing to have immigrants be a burden to society, do the government a favor and take care of an undocumented immigrant yourself instead of forcing the taxpayer to do it.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
Incredible!

Did you think if you made things more lenient, they'd get documented and pay the taxes?

Of course you did, you genius.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
I don't want the government taking income tax from people.  Replace the income tax with a sales tax and a capitol gains tax.  Even prominent left wingers like Jessie Ventura advocate for repealing the income tax and replacing it with a 15% sales tax.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheUnderdog
no, immigrants are socially liberal and vote on social issues. The GOP should stick to its base and be tough on immrigation