Entitled debt forgiveness for education is laziness, at best

Author: 949havoc

Total: 11
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
I am no longer in school at any level.
I have children who are no longer in school at any level.
I paid for my higher education personally, with a little help from parents & scholarship, which I earned by effort, it was not entitled. I paid my student loan debt before it was due, but at least I paid it all. I paid for most of my children's higher education, less their contribution and scholarships, also earned by effort.

I am already still paying for education K-12 and state colleges through property tax, levied at approx 62% of those taxes.  My duty to society is paid and being paid.

So, why do millennials feel they are entitled to their education debt forgiveness? Leeches. Lazies. The rest of us will pay for your free education. You get what you pay for. Go ahead, justify yourselves.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
Ironically in a lot of Europe, Australia, NZ and Canada, education was more free and tax-paid in the parents' generation than the current one. So, an opposite dilemma is occuring, many parents are furious with how right-wing it's all become but thankfully for most of said nations, the loans are soft-payback, meaning you only have to pay them back once you earn an amount of income and if you don't pay it back by the time you're 50 or something like that, it's written off scot-free and in general enough pay back with the interest to cover the losses of those that don't.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
As for this OP, it's pretty simple. If everyone really is that lazy and won't ever repay it, the society is doomed regardless.

Therefore, the more rational way to go about it is to have faith that enough will use the loans well and make something of themselves in the standard 'study and work' rat race method that we are all pressured to conform into. Those that go about it differently and fail, will be enough of a minority to be offset by those that don't such that it profits the loan-givers in the long-run.

Many other nations have proven this correct, western Europe has many nations doing this, some flat-out pay enough tax to have it free and thus loanless.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@RationalMadman
education was more free and tax-paid in the parents' generation
perhaps because those nations can no longer afford to offer free education??? None of those you mention, and most others, are as populated as the US, either.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@949havoc
no one cares if you worked really hard to pay for your student loans.
the entire OP is an anecdotal.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@drlebronski
And no one cares that you missed the point. I didn't say I worked really hard. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
really you know what you signed for when you get loans. You have to pay it back. BUT i will admit that the rising cost of tuition is actually concerning
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Education is social evolution.

And not working hard is a consequential social expectation.

And enslaving the Third World is a temporary solution.

And debt is just a part of monetary make believe.

And what of the future Doc?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
the future wont be good
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Certainly isn't looking good at the moment.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
yes, this country is doom