What are fundamental basis of knowledge and truth?

Author: Tradesecret

Total: 30
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
Although this might seem a question for philosophy and I suppose on one level it is a question of epistemology, it is also pertinent to understand in order to under religious knowledge. 

I would suggest that there are 4 basis for knowledge and truth. 

Reason - we sit and we think - requires a belief in the immaterial because the laws of logic are not material. We cannot touch them or taste them. 

Empiricism, evidential evidence, we see and touch and feel etc.   Relies on the material and denies the immaterial. 

Pragmatism.  If it works it must be true.  Says we should not waste our time on the above, because we are here and we think - in the material and immaterial. But indicates that the end justifies the means.   There is no real knowledge save except what works.  

Transcendental.  Revelation.  Based on the view that none of the others can consistently and rationally make sense by themselves. 

I wonder where you sit.   No-one can be more than one consistently.  We might give credence to all of them - but one of them is our fall back position. 

We cannot flit from one to the next - there is a hierarchy of knowledge and truth for each of us. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
All of the above is generated by a developed physiological function and it's processes.

Amazing but seemingly true.

To speculate otherwise is simply to speculate otherwise and not to exceed internal function and processes.

We are currently switched on and working.

And one day in the not to distant future we will cease to be switched on and working.

As far as we can actually know that will be the end of our particular story.

Though some people benefit from avoiding the known truth and speculating otherwise.

Though that is not to say that there might be an unknown truth.

But we don't actually know that.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Tradesecret
For the atheist, it's his subjective feelings. He rationalizes this by concluding that everyone goes by this metric too.

But then will insist that his claims are objectively true. Go figure.

...none of the others can consistently and rationally make sense by themselves.
I agree, but would like to hear how you came to this conclusion.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Theoretical deductions. Basically, logical and mathematical structures.

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Tradesecret
One study on mortality rates of paleolithic hunter-gatherers investigates the famous Indian Knoll archaeological site from around 2,500 BCE, located in today’s area of Kentucky. For this community the estimates suggest that mortality at a young age was even higher than the average for modern-day hunter-gatherers: 30% died in their first year of life, and 56% did not survive to puberty.

It is Reason that has brought the global infant mortality rate down to 2.9%.
Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@Tradesecret
I'm fairly certain it's not the answer you're looking for, nor am I sure my answer is applicable, but the absolute bare minimum foundation of truth is that truth exists at all. If one would like to claim that truth does not exist, I'd question if they consider said claim to be true in the first place?

We can also be certain that a sufficient process or sufficient cause could lead to a sufficient result or sufficient effect if we perform the process and get that result.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
All of the above is generated by a developed physiological function and it's processes.

Amazing but seemingly true.
How do you know that is true? 

To speculate otherwise is simply to speculate otherwise and not to exceed internal function and processes.
So do you want people not to think about the things you say - just "believe"? 

We are currently switched on and working.
Do you mean alive people think? Or are you suggesting that we are all living in the matrix? 

And one day in the not to distant future we will cease to be switched on and working.

Dead, do you mean? Or off? Are you a bot answering questions on this site? That may well explain a lot of your responses. 

As far as we can actually know that will be the end of our particular story.
How do you know that? Why are you so sure? What made you come to this conclusion? What is the basis of this knowledge? 

Though some people benefit from avoiding the known truth and speculating otherwise.
Again, how do you know this? What people can benefit from avoiding he truth? How do you know it is true? 

Though that is not to say that there might be an unknown truth.

So I am not really sure what you are saying.   Is there truth or not? How would you know? How can you know? 

But we don't actually know that.
You have just conceded that you know something.  How do you know it? How do you know that "we don't actually know that"? 

It seems to me that your statement is self-contradictory - proving its very opposite. Of course this is proof, but proof is not necessarily persuasive.  Persuasive is an entirely different ballgame. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@ethang5
For the atheist, it's his subjective feelings. He rationalizes this by concluding that everyone goes by this metric too.

Yes, as I said in another topic thread - the atheist is arbitrary and irrational.  The point is to get that person to start to actually think. It however is an exhausting process.  

...none of the others can consistently and rationally make sense by themselves.
I agree, but would like to hear how you came to this conclusion.
I am happy to do that- and I will.  But first I would like to see where others go with their thinking.  my point of view is based on the issue of the contrary.  It works best when people start to examine their own logic and see the futility of it.  

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Intelligence_06
Theoretical deductions. Basically, logical and mathematical structures.
So the first one then.  Reason and logic.  

Immaterial things. How do you reason this with the notion that there is only the material?  The principles of logic and the laws of mathematics are immaterial not material. You cannot touch or taste these rules.   

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@FLRW
One study on mortality rates of paleolithic hunter-gatherers investigates the famous Indian Knoll archaeological site from around 2,500 BCE, located in today’s area of Kentucky. For this community the estimates suggest that mortality at a young age was even higher than the average for modern-day hunter-gatherers: 30% died in their first year of life, and 56% did not survive to puberty.

It is Reason that has brought the global infant mortality rate down to 2.9%.
So you base your knowledge for truth on reason and logic?  Ok.  You are an atheist aren't you? Forgive me if I am incorrect.  So don't you consider that the world is only material?  And if so, why do you subscribe to the basis of knowledge based on something that is not material.  The laws of logic or reason are not material. They are clearly immaterial.  You can't touch them. You can't taste them.  They exist apart from the human and its material world. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Nyxified
I'm fairly certain it's not the answer you're looking for, nor am I sure my answer is applicable, but the absolute bare minimum foundation of truth is that truth exists at all.
I'm not looking for a particular answer.  I am asking questions.  So your answer is applicable. I agree that the for truth to exist there must be truth.  But what is truth? Ah there is the rub. 

If one would like to claim that truth does not exist, I'd question if they consider said claim to be true in the first place?
Yes, and that is an excellent question. A little like - there are absolutely no such things as absolutes.  A self contradicting statement - proving that absolutes do exist.    How does someone know it is true that there is no truth?  Of course it begs the question.  A circular construct.  An axiom. 

We can also be certain that a sufficient process or sufficient cause could lead to a sufficient result or sufficient effect if we perform the process and get that result.
Only if we can be certain that the universe is not a random event that randomly occurred.  Cause and effect are useful only if our underlying epistemology presumes that.  

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
We know what we think we know.

And  people believe that it is possible to know more than it is currently possible to know.

Which is a truism.

But believing in something that might be possible doesn't make it true.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
We know what we think we know.
What does that even mean?  Do you know it or do you think you know it? Or are you just guessing? 

And  people believe that it is possible to know more than it is currently possible to know.

Which people think this? How do you know that is the case?  Why do you think it is the case? 

Which is a truism.
Wow! That is huge jump of logic.    A non-sequitur of enormous proportions.  And without a shred of evidence or proof.  Nothing but an assertion.  

But believing in something that might be possible doesn't make it true.

And yet that is what is you have just done by suggesting the first two premises led to your conclusion or truism.   

Just because you believe something - does not make it true. or a truism.  

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
"Think" is the key word.

We think that we know something.

And within a human context that's undeniable.

That is the only basis of knowledge and truth that we have available

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Tradesecret
I am not an atheist, I'm a Simulationist. I believe that there are numerous gods (gamers).
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Just say it. 
If The/a  ultimate reality exists then god exists.
God is the ultimate reality.  
Thats using Mopac mathematics. 
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Tradesecret

TRADESECRET, whose gender went from a woman to a man, and then to unknown, and then back to a man, and then went to unknown again,  the Debate Runaway on Jesus' true MO,  Bible denier of Jesus being the Trinity God in the OT, the runaway to what division of Christianity he/she/unknown follows, the pseudo-christian that has committed the Unpardonable Sin, the number 1 Bible ignorant fool regarding Noah's ark, the pseudo-christian that says kids that curse their parents should be killed, states there is FICTION within the scriptures, and is guilty of Revelation 22:18-19 and 2 Timothy 4:3, AN ADMITTED SEXUAL DEVIANT, and obviously had ungodly Gender Reassignment Surgery, Satanic Bible Rewriter, an embarrassed LIAR of their true gender, and goes against Jesus in not helping the poor, has turned into a HYPOCRITE, and a LIAR, teaches Christianity at Universities in a “blind leading the blind” scenario, and is a False Prophet, says that Jesus is rational when He commits abortions and makes His creation eat their children, and that Jesus is rational when He allows innocent babies to be smashed upon the rocks, has now changed genders 5 TIMES in their profile page, 

TRADESECRET QUOTE TO THE BROTHER D: “I am not scared to respond to a religious question. Please ask.  And start your own thread.”https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/6688-biblical-contradiction?page=2&post_number=45

As your promise “as written” above so states, therefore I ask these questions to you regarding my thread as listed herewith:  https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/6720-jesus-is-still-pissed-at-the-sinful-state-of-louisiana?page=1&post_number=1

1.  Do you think that Jesus’ hurricane “Ida” is appropriate enough for the continued sinning of the state of Louisiana and within the city of New Orleans, as shown within my initial post shown in the above link?

2.  Do you think that Jesus should have brought forth a level 6 hurricane, which is unheard of at this time, but in Jesus being our serial killing Yahweh God incarnate, He could bring forth such a forceful hurricane to really devastate and kill the entire population of Louisiana where it would take years upon years to rebuild because of their sinning nature?  

3.  It is said many times that the United States is a Christian nation, therefore would you agree that the government should not help the people recover from this brutal hurricane because it was Jesus' will that they should die and suffer for their sins?

4.  Scripturally, we're told that our Jesus is ever loving and forgiving, therefore is our Jesus a hypocrite when He brutally killed His Jewish creation, including innocent children, and destroyed Louisiana as shown in the horrific photos and videos that are now seen upon the News channels?

5.   Again, since the USA is a Christian Nation, and where Jesus controls this nation within the scriptures, don't you think that the hurricanes should be named with biblical terminology instead of random alphabetical human names?  An example could be: "The Second Flood of Jesus" and number them sequentially as time goes by. 

Jesus, the membership, and myself await a cogent response to the above questions that you said you would answer as shown in your quote above.

BEGIN:

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Tradesecret
It all depends on what you consider to be “truth”.

If you think what is “true” is “what is concordant with reality”, then you can only “know” something is true if you can show it matches reality.

That implies religious “truth” you can’t confirm can’t be considered knowledge.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Ramshutu
 then you can only “know” something is true if you can show it matches reality.

Who's observations of reality are we going by? those who witness something or those who do not? there's nothing about spiritual knowledge that contradicts reality, it's a huge percentage of human experience. 

Confirmed by whom
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@Ramshutu
ATHIESTS ARE BANNED FROM THIS FORUM! AS DECLARED BY WYLTED
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@EtrnlVw
If you claim something is true: If you can show it’s true - that’s knowledge By definition. Otherwise it is not - by definition.

To show it’s true; you must be able to point to reality and show how the claim matches the reality.

Or, to use a snappy shorthand: if you can’t show it; you don’t know it.

The problem is that we’re unreliable observers; we don’t see things as they are, but after processing by our brains; we are biased, we can be mislead, we can misinterpret and we can see things that aren’t there.

So to be able to know things, there have to have a baseline agreement of reality: things we are confidant are real because we all see them; and things we cannot be confident are real because they are the unverifiable images inside one persons brain that cannot be independently verified.

Even at that point, we’re still unreliable observers, and there’s always multiple possible explanations for everything, so at some level knowledge is really just some level of confidence that something is true.

So in that respect - everyone confirms, everyone collectively confirms and agrees what reality is. This is, like, a basic epistemological discussion about what a group can consider knowledge, the question appears particularly obtuse.

There appears to be a preoccupation with theists in trying to pretend that unverifiable belief is knowledge. 

We know religions exist as we can all observe them. It Matches reality. We know that religious people have religious experiences, based on brain scans, reliable testimony, etc. Again knowledge.

It is knowledge to say people have “religious experience”, but are those experiences reflections of reality? That cannot be confirmed against agreed reality, so claims of truth are not knowledge no matter how people protest.

They could be: for example, God could tell me how to produce anti gravity. Which would allow me to demonstrate religious visions provide knowledge -  but only if it could be validated.

God could tell me in a vision how to set up a portal to heaven for everyone to go visit: that would show that religious visions produce knowledge of God specifically.

Short of something like that,  religious experience are trusted as being from God, without external confirmation against reality - which renders it belief regardless of the nature of protests to the contrary.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Ramshutu
It all depends on what you consider to be “truth”.
Sorry, I am not a relativist.  Truth is truth irrespective of what I think it is.  

If you think what is “true” is “what is concordant with reality”, then you can only “know” something is true if you can show it matches reality.

Truth is concordant with reality. But that is not what makes it truth. Truth is far deeper than just being in accord with reality.  Whether I know something to be true or not does not change the nature of whether something is true per se. In fact, my understanding of truth may well not be truth.  Hence my understanding is not the basis of truth either.  Yet it is possible to know truth.  

Your definition seems to be a rational explanation of truth. With a subjective element attached to it. 

How does one confirm religious truth - except by itself?  Indeed if it is confirmed by some other measure then there is no religious truth. 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Tradesecret
I think you misunderstand.

We have reality - as it is, this is the truth of how things are, you are absolutely correct that what is true, is true irrespective of us.

Then we have knowledge - which is our ability to confirm that something is true or not.

Don’t confuse truth with knowledge. They are completely different, but related things.

Take a couple of examples:

There is a closed box with a random number in it. You guess that the box has the number 9 written in it. That’s not knowledge - that’s a guess.

You open the box; and it has the number 9 in it. You’ve confirmed the truth and can now say you “know” what was in the box; but your guess was still a guess - you did not “know” what was in the box before it was opened.

The process of confirmation is what makes something knowledge.

Likewise, if I had a camera recording of someone putting a 9 into the same box; then I can say I know that the box contains a 9. I have confirmed what was in the box before it was opened.

Imagine the number was chosen at random without anyone being able to see what it was; it goes in the box, then everything is burned to ashes. There was definitely a truth of what was in the box - but we can never know what it was; as there is no way of being able to confirm it.

Indeed, regardless of what is true or not; the only thing that functionally matters to us is knowledge - the ability to confirm what is true by checking it against reality.

In this respect there is no “truth” or “religious truth” just truth. And there is no “knowledge” or “religious knowledge” - only that which you can confirm is true.

What “religious knowledge” is, is a group of people getting together and professing loudly that they believe with all their heart that the box contains the number 48391, that people have had visions and experiences of it containing that number. With other groups claiming it contains the number 3628 for exactly the same reasons, and others still saying 9492.

These Boxists come into Boxism forums and loudly process that their belief and their ideas should be counted as knowledge, that we aboxists must agree that the box contains 48391, and that their agreement is not a guess because they all agree on it, and have all experiences something that tells them it is so; that somehow their guess is special because of their collective belief, and that if somehow holds some special deeper truth even though they have no ability to show what is really in the box.

Until you open the box, or have the ability to test and validate what is in the box, and confirm what is in the box; what these groups are saying is “belief”, it is not “knowledge”.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Ramshutu
I think you misunderstand.
Thanks for your response. And yes, you have done well.  From your response I perceive are an atheist. Although I may be incorrect. I am sure you will CONFIRM it so we all that have "knowledge" and then the truth will set us free. LOL! Yes, my little joke.  Regrettably, I have not understood you.  But let us proceed to see where we arrive. 

We have reality - as it is, this is the truth of how things are, you are absolutely correct that what is true, is true irrespective of us.
I am not identifying reality with truth. That is what you indicated and I disagreed.  Reality is subjective. Truth is not. Truth is true irrespective of what we think of it or what our own reality tells us.  Reality however for the sake of the discussion must be our connection. 

Then we have knowledge - which is our ability to confirm that something is true or not.
Knowledge may or may not inform or confirm truth. It really depends upon what kind of knowledge, informed or uninformed, total or partial. The basis of this topic was about ascertaining the different types of knowledge we use to come to truth. This is why I set the thread to make people consider the types of knowledge we have, how we come to those places of knowledge, and then to seek further how it impacts or influences our understanding of truth. 

Don’t confuse truth with knowledge. They are completely different, but related things.
Yes. I understand that they are different. Hence my thread.  

There is a closed box with a random number in it. You guess that the box has the number 9 written in it. That’s not knowledge - that’s a guess.
On what kind of knowledge am I basing this guess? Is it rational? Using probability methodology? Or logic by reason of deduction? It is pure guesswork or speculation based on a feeling? Or did I put my hand on the box and touch it or taste it or smell it? Did I use my experience? The last number was nine therefore this one is going to be nine as well.  A pure guess - if that is possible is or may be knowledge but not knowledge of the specific number. Obviously you have knowledge of a box. You have knowledge that there is a number in the box.  You are not devoid of knowledge.  And furthermore what is the point of knowing the number in the box. For the record - it is a poor analogy to compare it to religion. 

You open the box; and it has the number 9 in it. You’ve confirmed the truth and can now say you “know” what was in the box; but your guess was still a guess - you did not “know” what was in the box before it was opened.
Well actually, no you have not confirmed that there is a number 9 is in the box.  You have not confirmed anything at all.   You are making many assumptions within that sentence.  Firstly, that you have the ability to open a box. That the box is able to be opened. That the number you see in there is the same number that was in there when you made your guess. That your understanding of the number 9 is the same as the one who put it into the box. That you are actually mentally healthy enough to see with your eyes or even see the nine in the first place.  That the principles of logic are true.  The most you can confirm from opening the box - if you are able to do - is to say that what you see with your eyes right in front of you is the number nine.  And that is if you appreciate and know that this is a nine in the first place.  

Yes, I understand what you are trying to say.  That now that you see it with your own eyes, you can confirm it is true. So indeed you are not a rationalist but in fact an empiricist.  Unless you can see it with your own eyes, you won't believe it. Truth comes from experience - not from reason. Ironically though you are using reason to prove your experience is the basis of your knowledge which leads to truth. Hmm. Just to clarify. Reason - is not the same as experience.  

The process of confirmation is what makes something knowledge.
You are suggesting that the scientific method is the means to ascertaining knowledge and therefore truth.  Truth only comes through the scientific method. Well except this statement you are making which is not the scientific method - but is a principle of reason or logic.  Scientific methodology and Logic are the not same thing.  The scientific method uses logic true.  Yet the scientific method never proved logic in the first place - but rather made the assumption that logic is self evident.  Clearly going against the notion of knowledge.  Hmm. 

Likewise, if I had a camera recording of someone putting a 9 into the same box; then I can say I know that the box contains a 9. I have confirmed what was in the box before it was opened.
Well with all of the above assumptions possibly. How do you the video was not doctored? How do you know that the number the guy recorded is the same number in the box? How do we know that the number in the box does not change every second?  How do you know that the number nine in the box is not actually a 6?  You have not confirmed its truth. You are still giving a best test - and probably with a high degree of confidence. But still not confirming the truth of the matter. 

Imagine the number was chosen at random without anyone being able to see what it was; it goes in the box, then everything is burned to ashes. There was definitely a truth of what was in the box - but we can never know what it was; as there is no way of being able to confirm it.
If we had a time machine we could? How was the number placed into the box? Is it on paper or does it just magically float in the air? Was the paper part of a book or just a random piece picked up of the floor? Was it written on with a pencil or generated by a computer? Again, how do we know that the number in the box does not change every second? 

I understand you are trying to indicate that truth exists apart from knowledge or confirmation by humans.  I agree with that. That is indeed the reason I started this thread. I am not mixing truth up with knowledge.  I am asking about the different types of knowledge people use to come to truth. 

Indeed, regardless of what is true or not; the only thing that functionally matters to us is knowledge - the ability to confirm what is true by checking it against reality.

I don't agree with that position. Truth matters whether we are aware of it or not.  Truth matters whether or not I am impacted by it or not. Truth matters whether you can confirm it or not.  You may never confirm that God exists - but that won't change the truth about God or how it will impact you after death or even in life. 

In this respect there is no “truth” or “religious truth” just truth. And there is no “knowledge” or “religious knowledge” - only that which you can confirm is true.
Like I said, I don't agree.  Your assumptions are all over the place.  You are using logic and reason to suggest that empiricism is the way to understand truth. That is a mixed use of knowledge basis. You use one to justify truth and then use the other to justify truth.  And interestingly enough without a fixed point of reference you cannot consistently talk about truth or use reason.  In other words you are being arbitrary.  

Interestingly enough, many religious folk have opened up the box and confirmed their god. Just because you cannot figure how to open the box is a problem with your assumptions, not with religious truth. 

What “religious knowledge” is, is a group of people getting together and professing loudly that they believe with all their heart that the box contains the number 48391, that people have had visions and experiences of it containing that number. With other groups claiming it contains the number 3628 for exactly the same reasons, and others still saying 9492.
Well respectfully, that is no different to the scientific methodology.  Why is it that peer group reviewed scientific articles cannot be repeated in over 70% of cases? Why is it that the half life of knowledge for engineers is 10 years. And for doctors 5 years. And for scientists even less? Because all of them are guessing, educated guesses, but still guesses. Why? Because they don't use consistent knowledge basis.  Like you they run from logic to experience and then back to logic. Religious knowledge is done in similar ways.  I personally don't think we should put God into a box. Or in a test tube for that matter.  

These Boxists come into Boxism forums and loudly process that their belief and their ideas should be counted as knowledge, that we aboxists must agree that the box contains 48391, and that their agreement is not a guess because they all agree on it, and have all experiences something that tells them it is so; that somehow their guess is special because of their collective belief, and that if somehow holds some special deeper truth even though they have no ability to show what is really in the box.
An argument from authority is not the best argument.  A consensus of scientists might agree - but that does not make them correct.  It does not automatically make them wrong either.  But it is still an argument of authority. No different to religious people referring to their sacred text.  

Until you open the box, or have the ability to test and validate what is in the box, and confirm what is in the box; what these groups are saying is “belief”, it is not “knowledge”.

No I disagree.  I do not agree that seeing something and touching something and smelling something automatically and always and even confirms the truth. 

It might. But it might also get it wrong.  Every day, I see with my eyes, the sun rise and the sun move across the sky and then it sets.  Are my eyes and my experience lying or is my perspective and thinking wrong? When I jump up and down, do I land in the same spot or do I move along a little bit at the speed of the earth's rotation? Is my experience and my eyesight and touch wrong or is my understanding about immaterial things off course? Knowledge can help confirm things - but only so far.  My knowledge might be misinformed? I might listen to consensus of the scientists who are telling me pre - Galileo that the world is the centre of the world or I might choose to look at the world with a different perspective? 

Thanks for letting us know you are an evidentialist. Or an empiricist.  Or even an experientalist. But not a person of reason. 

If of course you think that both reason and experience are your basis - I would love to read your epistemology for how you arrived at that conclusion? Or that truth? 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Ramshutu
@Tradesecret
Very eloquent Mr Ram.

Beaten hands down there Trade.

GOD principle sound.

Floaty about bloke not so.......As ever.

And Trade it has to be said.

Your last two lines were an exasperation of irrelevant nonsense.

Harsh but true....Sorry.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Tradesecret
You just seem to be going through what I said paragraph by paragraph and creating a set of disjoint arguments that don’t really link up. I’m not going to go point by point; because chances are you’ll do the same thing again; creating 100 irrelevant sub arguments of sub arguments just drives a conversation off the rails.

Perhaps you should focus on the big picture argument; and actually present something comprehensive. We’re grown ups and can scroll up to see what we said.

To start with, I am absolutely an empiricist because it’s the only valid answer to this question, as I have and will show; despite the objections - ironically, you are an empiricist too. 

You’re citing a particular form of experience as a way of gaining knowledge at the same time as trashing other types of experience as a way of gaining knowledge. That’s incoherent.

In reality, you’re just arbitrarily asserting, without justification, that a particular type of experience is somehow special, and reveals truth without explaining how or why. Also incoherent.

Your real objection is not whether observation of reality is required for knowledge; but that’s yours should be accepted as valid.

I find this fairly typical - it is not enough for many theists to simply have faith and believe; they also have to pretend that their belief is knowledge: religion doesn’t know anything, it’s just very good at loudly pretending that it does.

I’m going to explain my assumptions. You seem to be accusing me of making a bunch of then - without saying what they are or exactly why they’re inconsistent.

Assumption 1: We all appear to be collectively experiencing some form of shared reality.

Assumption 2: logic is a valid way to interpret this shared reality, and our experiences.

This makes no claims about what reality is; how accurate our experiences are, or claims that our reasoning is always valid. 

But without these two assumptions; it’s not possible to have any discussion on truth: because without 1 truth can’t exist, and without 2, logical debate is meaningless.

If you reject them, then I will accept your concession, as you’re agreeing your position is inherently irrational.

From there, we have to define what we mean by truth. I defined it as that which is concordant with reality - the state of how reality is. While you vehemently objected to that definition - twice - but declined to actually come up with your own; which is no basis for rational discussion.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you’ve misunderstood again - reality as it is, is not reality as we observe it. 

You do seem get a bit weird by suggesting reality is subjective - which it isn’t. While I can never know what you think tasty wheat tastes like; we can have broad agreement on things we observe: trees exists, I have ten fingers, there is a day and night. That’s objective as these agreed facts are not dependent on feelings of opinions. 

Perhaps you just have an odd definition of truth and reality - it’s hard to tell as you’re not saying what they are.

So given the two assumptions and definitions, the question becomes by what process can we make determinations about our shared reality - how do we determine what is true - knowledge.

The only way - almost by definition - is by observing, experiencing and reasoning about that reality.

How can you possibly make any determination about what is real, what reality is, or how it works - without the ability to tell whether the answer matches what is real, what reality is, or how it works?

I don’t know, you’re spending too much telling me you can to say.

That’s what knowledge is; in any functional sense that we use it in every day lives ; illustrated with the box examples: you can only know what is in the box if you can some make an observation that allows you to determine what is in the box.

Your reply utterly fails to understand this example: 

You ask if the guess involved some reasoning based observation - is it knowledge. Well yes. Duh. You’ve made observations and used it to determine what’s in the box.

You ask what if the method of determining what is in the box is unreliable, is that knowledge? Well no; duh. If the fidelity, accuracy or reliability of your measurement is not sufficient to make an accurate determination - you can’t claim to know the answer.

Far from being any sort of rebuttal here; your “objection” really just expands upon the very point I’m making. In the same way you won’t offer a definition of truth, or reality; you also criticize empiricism, but fail to offer an alternative that you can show works.

How can you know what is in the box without making an empirical determination? Either to validate the boxes content, or to validate some methodology to determine the boxes content? 

Let’s briefly expand on what I mean by knowledge,  fidelity and reliability of the observation. 

Knowledge is not binary true/false, it’s levels of confidence.  Take “Do squirrels exist”

All observations are logically consistent with the statement that squirrels do exist in our shared reality: But as there are possible explantations that allow for squirrels not actually existing, that we cannot disprove, all assumption 2 allows us to do is to say one is far more likely than the other.

Conversely, if we have a grainy camera, or incomplete information, we may not have enough information to know to some reasonable degree, but we can offer better than a guess.

Someone could have doctored the image of the box; is it likely? Does someone have motive and means? In most cases you can reasonably say it’s unlikely. You can raise the confidence though, through additional observation (checking the camera, for example)

Perhaps part of your confusion is that you’re mixing up levels of confidence with a need for knowing something without doubt: alas this is not really possible ; there is always a possible alternative that cannot be disproven.

These issues dovetail nicely with fidelity and reliability. Take “Can I trust my eyes?”

Remember assumption 1: we live in a shared reality, and if we’re all consistently seeing the same thing, assumption 2 helps render it more likely that the observation is reliable than everyone imagining things.

Disagreements tell us we can’t always trust our eyes, movement, things leaping out at us, cataracts, hallucinations etc. Fidelity and Reliability is high but not perfect.

We can make rational conclusions about outlier observations, we can rule things out. We can perform vision tests, run comparisons, brain scans, etc - all to say we can use observation to justify the confidence in the fidelity of our observations.

That applies to religious experiences too : Are those experiences truth - representative of reality, or false? You can use observation to determine the fidelity of those experiences - to tell whether they show reality: Brain scans being able to discriminate a religious experience from imagination; and an established baseline of accuracy by taking the “knowledge” from these experiences and comparing it with reality outside what is to be expected if it were being faked.

If genuine religious experience always, say, unambiguously predicted otherwise exceptional events 5/10/15 years into the future - that would help render religious experience valid empirical evidence. 

But the last 5000 years have an interesting tapestry of religion spectacularly failing to deliver anything. Whereas one only has to think about the knowledge needed for you and I to be able to communicate as we are to understand the unmitigated success of empiricism in delivering demonstrable knowledge.

Despite all the talk, all the hand waving, and vocal protestations - religious experience has not so much as carved an arrowhead. That, should be a much starker statement about whether your professed experience is a valid way of discerning reality - whether it is really knowledge - than a billion of my posts.

All this is, as it always is: just an attempt to try and manufacture knowledge from belief.

Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@ethang5
@EtrnlVw
@Tradesecret

Reason - we sit and we think - requires a belief in the immaterial because the laws of logic are not material. We cannot touch them or taste them. 

Empiricism, evidential evidence, we see and touch and feel etc.     Relies on the material and denies the immaterial. 

Pragmatism.   If it works it must be true.   Says we should not waste our time on the above, because we are here and we think - in the material and immaterial. But indicates that the end justifies the means.     There is no real knowledge save except what works.   

Transcendental.   Revelation.   Based on the view that none of the others can consistently and rationally make sense by themselves.
I see no reason why these bases would be mutally exclusive. I use a combination of the first, the second and to less extent the third.
Which basis do you rely on ?

ethang5  3 :
For the atheist, it's his subjective feelings. He rationalizes this by concluding that everyone goes by this metric too.[1]

[1] I have yet to observe an atheist claiming (s)he bases truth on his/her subjective feelings.

EtrnlVw  20 :
Who's observations of reality are we going by? those who witness something or those who do not? there's nothing about spiritual knowledge that contradicts reality, it's a huge percentage of human experience.
What evidence can you present to support that claim ?

I am not identifying reality with truth. That is what you indicated and I disagreed.   Reality is subjective. Truth is not. Truth is true irrespective of what we think of it or what our own reality tells us.   Reality however for the sake of the discussion must be our connection.
How does reality qualify as subjective, but truth does not ? It seems to me that reality is real irrespective of what we think of it or what our own truth tells us.

Well actually, no you have not confirmed that there is a number 9 is in the box.   You have not confirmed anything at all.     You are making many assumptions within that sentence.   Firstly, that you have the ability to open a box. That the box is able to be opened. That the number you see in there is the same number that was in there when you made your guess. That your understanding of the number 9 is the same as the one who put it into the box. That you are actually mentally healthy enough to see with your eyes or even see the nine in the first place.   That the principles of logic are true.   The most you can confirm from opening the box - if you are able to do - is to say that what you see with your eyes right in front of you is the number nine.   And that is if you appreciate and know that this is a nine in the first place.
If the reliance on assumptions excludes confirmation, then nothing can be confirmed.

Like I said, I don't agree.   Your assumptions are all over the place.   You are using logic and reason to suggest that empiricism is the way to understand truth. That is a mixed use of knowledge basis. You use one to justify truth and then use the other to justify truth. And interestingly enough without a fixed point of reference you cannot consistently talk about truth or use reason.[2] In other words you are being arbitrary.
Interestingly enough, many religious folk have opened up the box and confirmed their god. Just because you cannot figure how to open the box is a problem with your assumptions, not with religious truth.[3]
[2] What do you consider a valid fixed point of reference ? Do postulates qualify ?
[3] Religious people drew a conclusion without making assumptions ? How did they perform that miracle ?

Well respectfully, that is no different to the scientific methodology.   Why is it that peer group reviewed scientific articles cannot be repeated in over 70% of cases? Why is it that the half life of knowledge for engineers is 10 years. And for doctors 5 years. And for scientists even less? Because all of them are guessing, educated guesses, but still guesses. Why? Because they don't use consistent knowledge basis.[4] Like you they run from logic to experience and then back to logic. Religious knowledge is done in similar ways. I personally don't think we should put God into a box. Or in a test tube for that matter.
[4] What evidence can you present to support that claim ?

An argument from authority is not the best argument.   A consensus of scientists might agree - but that does not make them correct.   It does not automatically make them wrong either.   But it is still an argument of authority. No different to religious people referring to their sacred text.
Scientific consensus is a greater authority than a sacred text.

Thanks for letting us know you are an evidentialist. Or an empiricist. Or even an experientalist. But not a person of reason.
How did you arrive at that conclusion ? Is your conclusion truth ?

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Tradesecret

Empiricism, evidential evidence, we see and touch and feel etc.   Relies on the material and denies the immaterial. 

Pragmatism.  If it works it must be true.  Says we should not waste our time on the above, because we are here and we think - in the material and immaterial. But indicates that the end justifies the means.   There is no real knowledge save except what works.  

Transcendental.  Revelation.  Based on the view that none of the others can consistently and rationally make sense by themselves.
The first two are all we need, the second has no application here and the last is incoherent.

The idea what we cannot make sense of reason without the transcendental is self defeating. The very act of making this claim requires the use of reason, as well as the acceptance or rejection of it. It is essentially an attempt to use reason to invalidate reason.

465 days later

EdgarPoint
EdgarPoint
All Information is made up through anyone's judgement call from the Observing State on Matters that are presently being perceived. And the cause for information on existing matters is to have an awareness on a specific entity. As to classify it separately from all other matters of Existence.
  To identify it with a label, is to give it a name. How is this process is done...?
    • we make it up...

The information provided after anyone has Observed the matters and has given studies on its reactions to various testings, is merely one's own way of interpreting their Conceptual Constructions. In other words, giving out their Expressions from within on a specific entity of Existence.
     (Summary)
 •  all information known about any specific matter is completely made up by the one who shares their own thoughts, feelings and beliefs on its Being of Existence.

It's best to Understand than it is to simply know whatever information is provided. As words are symbols representing our expressions and our experiences from our perceptions. (Words given as information doesn't necessarily mean it is the Truth about whatever content is shared)

*Truth is the existing matters.
*Lies are made up to beLIEve.
(Conceptual Constructs are from a self designing Aspect. Helps us find stability and comfort wherever we are and on whatever is around us.)

We can understand the physical state is a state of ChAoS, where LIFE is expressing and experiencing growth. Life is not Reality.
   The mental state is the place of two emotional thoughts. "The Extreme Dream" states. 369 thoughts feelings and beLIEfs. Aka our Own Reality. 
      •Memory -imprints  from passed Experience given with specific Expressions.
      •Imagination -futuristic thoughts that creates a destination for us to Experience and to Express