BSH1 MEMORIAL PROFiLE PiC PiCK of the WEEK No. 31- To HELL you RIDE

Author: oromagi

Total: 14
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
INT. THEATER LOBBY.

A lined-up crowd of ticket holders waiting to get into the theater, Alvy and Annie among them. A hum of indistinct chatter can be heard through the ensuing scene.

MAN IN LINE (Loudly to his companion right behind Alvy and Annie)
We saw the Fellini film last Tuesday.  It is not one of his best. It lacks a cohesive structure. You know, you get the feeling that he's not absolutely sure what it is he wants to say. 'Course, I've always felt he was essentially a-a technical film maker. Granted, La Strada was a great film. Great in its use of negative energy more than anything else. But that simple cohesive core...

Alvy, reacting to the man's loud monologue, starts to get annoyed, while Annie begins to read her newspaper.

ALVY (Overlapping the man's speech)
I'm-I'm-I'm gonna have a stroke.

ANNIE (Reading)
Well, stop listening to him.

MAN IN LINE (Overlapping Alvy and Annie)
You know, it must need to have had its leading from one thought to another. You know what I'm talking about?

ALVY(Sighing)
He's screaming his opinions in my ear.

MAN IN LINE
Like all that Juliet of the Spirits or Satyricon, I found it incredibly...indulgent. You know, he really is.  He's one of the most indulgent filmmakers. He really is-

ALVY (Overlapping)
Key word here is "indulgent."

MAN IN LINE (Overlapping)
without getting... well, let's put it this way...

ALVY (To Annie, who is still reading, overlapping the man in line who is still talking)
What are you depressed about?

ANNIE
I missed my therapy. I overslept.

ALVY
How can you possibly oversleep?

ANNIE
The alarm clock.

ALVY (Gasping)
You know what a hostile gesture that is to me?

ANNIE
I know- because of our sexual problem, right?

ALVY
Hey, you... everybody in line at the New Yorker has to know our rate of intercourse?

MAN IN LINE
It's like Samuel Beckett, you know I admire the technique but he doesn't... he doesn't hit me on a gut level.

ALVY (To Annie)
I'd like to hit this guy on a gut level.  The man in line continues his speech all the while Alvy and Annie talk.

ANNIE
Stop it, Alvy!

ALVY (Wringing his hands)
Well, he's spitting on my neck! You know, he's spitting on my neck when he talks.

MAN IN LINE
And then, the most important thing of all is a comedian's vision.

ANNIE
And you know something else? You know, you're so egocentric that if I miss my therapy you can think of it in terms of how it affects you!

MAN IN LINE (Lighting a cigarette while he talks)
Gal gun-shy is what it is.

ALVY (Reacting again to the man in line)
Probably on their first date, right?

MAN IN LINE (Still going on)
It's a narrow view.

ALVY
Probably met by answering an ad in the New York Review of Books.  "Thirtyish academic wishes to meet woman who's interested in Mozart, James Joyce and sodomy."
(He sighs; then to Annie)
Whattya you mean, our sexual problem?

ANNIE
Oh!

ALVY
I-I-I mean, I'm comparatively normal for a guy raised in Brooklyn.

ANNIE
Okay, I'm very sorry. My sexual problem! Okay, my sexual problem! Huh?

The man in front of them turns to look at them, then looks away.

ALVY
I never read that. That was-that was Henry James, right? Novel, uh, the sequel to Turn of the Screw? My Sexual...

MAN IN LINE (Even louder now)
It's the influence of television.  Yeah, now Marshall McLuhan deals with it in terms of it being a-a high, uh, high intensity, you understand? A hot medium... as
opposed to a...

ALVY
(More and more aggravated)
What I wouldn't give for a large sock o' horse manure.

MAN IN LINE
...as opposed to a print...

Alvy steps forward, waving his hands in frustration, and stands facing the camera.

ALVY (Sighing and addressing the audience)
What do you do when you get stuck in a movie line with a guy like this behind you? I mean, it's just maddening! 

The man in line moves toward Alvy. Both address the audience now.

MAN IN LINE
Wait a minute, why can't I give my opinion? It's a free country!

ALVY
I mean, d- He can give you- Do you hafta give it so loud? I mean, aren't you ashamed to pontificate like that?  And- and the funny part of it is, M- Marshall McLuhan, you don't know anything about Marshall McLuhan's... work!

MAN IN LINE (Overlapping)
Wait a minute! Really? Really? I happen to teach a class at Columbia called "TV Media and Culture"! So I think that my insights into Mr. McLuhan- well, have a great deal of validity.

ALVY
Oh, do yuh?

MAN IN LINE
Yes.

ALVY
Well, that's funny, because I happen to have Mr. McLuhan right here. So... so, here, just let me- I mean, all right. Come over here... a second.

Alvy gestures to the camera which follows him and the man in line to the back of the crowded lobby. He moves over to a large stand-up movie poster and pulls Marshall McLuhan from behind the poster.

MAN IN LINE
Oh.

ALVY (To McLuhan)
Tell him.

MCLUHAN (To the man in line)
I hear- I heard what you were saying.  You-you know nothing of my work. You mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you ever got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing.
oromagi
oromagi
HERALD:
I bring a message from your master, Marcus Licinius Crassus, Commander of Italy.  By command of His Most Merciful Excellency, your lives are to be spared.  Slaves you were and slaves you remain.  But the terrible penalty of crucifixion has been set aside on the single condition that you identify the body or the living person of the slave called Spartacus.

(He gazes slowly around among the prisoners.  His face hardens as nothing but silence greets his offer.)

Well --- speak up!  Freedom's what you fought for, isnt it?  Show me Spartacus and win it!

ANTONIUS: (looks quickly from the HERALD to SPARTACUS

PRISONER:  I'm Spartacus! Turn me loose!

(Rising MURMUR among slave army)

A YOUTH AMOUNG THE PRISONERS: I'm Spartacus.

SECOND PRISONER: He lies!  I'm Spartacus!  Let me go free!

THIRD PRISONER:  This one's a baby!  I'm Spartacus!
I'm Spartacus!

PRISONERS rise by two and threes then by the score, each shouting his own identification
No over here ---- I'm Spartacus!
     Me --- I'm Spartacus
          Here's Spartacus right here!
               Look at the real Spartacus!
                    I'm Spartacus, set me free!

I'm Spartacus!

(ALL SHOUTING)

ANTONIUS:
Here I am!  Spartacus!

oromagi
oromagi
PRIESTESS:
Hello, Neo. You're right on time.... Make yourself at home, Morpheus. Neo, come with me.... These are the other potentials, you can wait here.

SPOON BOY:
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.

NEO:
What truth?

SPOON BOY:
There is no spoon.

NEO:
There is no spoon?

SPOON BOY:
Spoon boy: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

PRIESTESS:
The Oracle will see you now.

ORACLE: (A middle aged woman sitting by the oven in the apartment's kitchen, baking cookies)
I know you're Neo. Be right with you.

NEO:
You're the Oracle?

ORACLE:
Bingo. Not quite what you were expecting, right? Almost done. Smell good, don't they?

NEO:
Yeah.

ORACLE:
I'd ask you to sit down, but your not going to anyway. And don't worry about the vase.

NEO:
What vase?

(Neo looks behind him and bumps a small table, causing a vase to crash to the floor)

ORACLE:
That vase.

NEO:
I'm sorry.

ORACLE:
I said don't worry about it. I'll get one of my students to fix it.

NEO:
How did you know?

ORACLE:
Oh..... (she strikes a match to light her cigarette) What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything. You're cuter than I expected. No wonder she likes you.

NEO:
Who?

ORACLE: (she takes a puff)
Not too bright, though. You know why Morpheus brought you to see me?

NEO:
 I think so.

ORACLE:
 So, what do you think? You think you're the one?

NEO:
 I don't know.

ORACLE: (nodding to a wooden wall plaque over the kitchen doorway.  The plaque reads "TEMET NOSCE")
You know what that means? It's Latin. Means `Know thyself'. I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  Being the one is just like being in love. No one can tell you your in love, you just know it. Through and through. Balls to bones. Well, I better have a look at you. Open your mouth, say Ahhh.

NEO:
Ahhh.

ORACLE:
Okay. Now I'm supposed to say, `Umm, that's interesting, but...' then you say...

NEO:
But what?

ORACLE:
But you already know what I'm going to tell you.

NEO:
I'm not the one.

ORACLE:
Sorry kiddo. You got the gift, but it looks like you're waiting for something.

NEO:
What?

ORACLE:
Your next life maybe, who knows? That's the way these things go. What's funny?

NEO:
Morpheus. He...he almost had me convinced.

ORACLE:
I know. Poor Morpheus. Without him we're lost.

NEO:
What do you mean, without him?

ORACLE:
Are you sure you want to hear this?
(NEO nods)
Morpheus believes in you, Neo. And no one, not you, not even me can convince him otherwise. He believes it so blindly that he's going to sacrifice his life to save yours.

NEO:
What?

ORACLE:
You're going to have to make a choice. In the one hand you'll have Morpheus' life and in the other hand you'll have your own. One of you is going to die. Which one will be up to you. I'm sorry, kiddo, I really am. You have a good soul, and I hate giving good people bad news. Oh, don't worry about it. As soon as you step outside that door, you'll start feeling better. You'll remember you don't believe in any of this fate crap. You're in control of your own life, remember? Here, take a cookie. I promise, by the time you're done eating it, you'll feel right as rain.

(Neo steps out of the apartment's front door)

MORPHEUS: What was said was for you and for you alone.

RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
I still firmly believe that Trinity is the one, not Neo or Agent Smith.
oromagi
oromagi
Long, wet drive to Telluride in an unfamiliar car. Had to borrow a car since my catalytic converter was stolen AGAIN last night.  Very foggy the last hundred miles and my night vision is not what it used to be.  I am staying with my little brother who lives in the last cabin before Lizard Head Pass, ten miles above Telluride.  He is a mega-outdoorsman and bow hunter and sustainable living guy who tries hard to live year round on what he hunts for meat. He is a longtime fixture in these parts and so friends with many celebrities but he watches no tv or movies and is totally unimpressed by them, which is I guess why they like him.  He taught Tom Cruise to rock climb and dined with Francis Ford Coppola.    He’s doing contract work on Oprah’s house. A lot of stuff like that.  

As we’re chatting, the festival starts announcing what movies will be playing and who’s introducing (it’s always a big secret until the night before).  I’m looking at my phone and saying  

“Peter Dinklage is here…do you know who Peter Dinklage is”

My brother:”nope”

I’m like, “Oh, wow, Kenneth Brannagh- you know like Henry V, he did Thor:Ragnarok?”

“Nope”

“Have you heard of Thor:Ragnarok?”

“Nope”

“Ooo, Helen Mirren’s talking tomorrow, do you…”

“Nope”

Pretty much our relationship in a nutshell.  

oromagi
oromagi
Saw the world premiere of Branagh’s new movie Belfast.  Autobiographical about him being a kid during the troubles.  Branagh introduced the film to half empty theater and told the story of trying to get it made for 20 years.  Jamie Dornan didn’t say much but certainly gave the best performance I’ve seen from him.  Ciaran Hinds and Judi Dench are amazing as ever.   The movie is black and white and mostly takes place on just one street. The tension builds well but the climax is sort of easy and lacks much drama. I was left wondering why the kid was the protagonist of the story beyond the obvious autobiographical intent.   Works well as a period piece but probably won’t be remembered as a great film. Great soundtrack- all Van Morrison but one song and only one of his hit songs- matched to mood well.  60/100 perhaps. 

Also saw Hillary Swank having fun at lunch.  A lot of laughs. A lot of selfies. 
oromagi
oromagi
A lot of rumors that Wes Anderson’s new film is secretly showing.  No rumors that Dune is here although timothee chalamet is here so I’m still hoping to stumble upon a secret preview.  
oromagi
oromagi
I did manage to sneak into the French Dispatch.  Visually stunning- Anderson’s ocd cool hyper-literary hyper-theatrical world pours out delivering a firehose of plot and eccentricity. Bill Murray, Tilda Swindon, Timothy Chalamet is Zeffirelli the revolutionary- great but none of the stars introduced it.  Wes Anderson sent a message from Spain but this movie was supposed to be released just as COVID hit so everybody’s doing other projects now Francis Ford Coppola was there in a very mobsteresque black suit- I guess he and Matt Dillon are presenting the director’s cut of the Outsiderstomorrow
oromagi
oromagi
Saw Maggie Gyllenhal’s new movie, The Lost Daughter -  which seems to argue that original sin is a pain borne mostly by women.  Ms. Gyllenhal introduced and spoke of how difficult it was to make the movie  

Saw an extremely trippy animation fest curated by Barry Jenkins.  One was this incredible tribute to Fantastic Planet-  it’s like a perfect imitation in mood and style. 

Kirsten Dunst, Peter Skarsgard, Leonard Maltin 

It is becoming clear that attendance  will remain shockingly low. World Premieres of movies like Spencer starring Kristen Stewart as Princess Di and not all chairs are full.  Mostly this is good news for me, I have less work to do and even the big movies are easy to get into.  I wonder if the festival is taking a bad hit, tho. 

oromagi
oromagi
Saw ENCOUNTER with Riz Ahmed- kind of a reverse ET the extraterrestrial. We travel from faith to skepticism , from optimism to pessimism. The adults become more dangerous as the alien threat vanishes. 

Spare film making- uses a lot of classic chase through the California desert tropes. 

Saw Werner Herzog, Jesse Plemons, Joe Wright, everyone except me has spotted Kristen Stewart but I’m not interested in another movie about Princess Di so…
oromagi
oromagi
I’m going to stay until Thursday tearing things down- the rumor is that there are cool extra movies in small  theaters for the hangers on
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@oromagi
Your dialog in the theater line of the loud man behind the two girls reminds me of of a weekend dialog I watched, as a child, between my older brother and a man, a neighbor, who came to our door one evening to lodge a complaint. My brother had a few friends over for a party, and I, the younger brother - I was about ten - was the typical younger-brother-pest.

My brother had music playing on the stereo. When the doorbell rang, my brother went to the door, thinking more guests had arrive. I followed.

The man said, "I have a heart condition and I don't appreciate your loud music."

My brother: "I'm not playing it for you." He shut the door.
oromagi
oromagi
Saw Paul Schraders The Card Counter- really great suspense- abu grahib and World Series of poker
oromagi
oromagi
Saw Jane Campions power of the dog which was awesome - suspense in the old west. I swear every lgbt person understood the ending but none of the straight people. I’ve never run into a movie quite like that