What makes religion not a philosophy, and vice versa

Author: 949havoc

Total: 20
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
That, and why are so many people who espouse one or the other, or both or neither so bent out of shape when others present dissenting views to their own? What is it? Why is it that some of us cannot bear the competition of ideas, and find their only salvation in censorship, as if that will eliminate the variant idea? One need not censor. In fact, the only result of censorship is failure to maintain a conversation, particularly because a matter of disagreement on one point is not a qualifier to dismiss someone on all points. That's called war, and that accomplishes no good for anybody.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
It is the religious right-wing that invented censorship and fake news both.

You new age ones hate everything you inspired just because the irreligious Left learned to wield it for better reasons and in better ways than you.

Unlike your fake news, the Left don't directly lie in theirs. 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@949havoc
Religion contains implicit philosophy.

For example, many religions are implicitly authoritarian.

These belief systems are valuable to and promoted by people who want to justify an authoritarian form of government.

These adherents also tend to even organize their own family units into authoritarian hierarchies.

These adherents imagine that authoritarian hierarchies are intrinsic and necessary and even project them onto the animal kingdom with terminology like "queen bee" and "queen ant" and "alpha dog", when, in reality, these animals function much more cooperatively than this terminology implies.

On the other hand, there are some religions that are gnostic.

These gnostics have neither priests nor prophets nor dogma one must submit to.

The Essenes, best known for their association with the Dead Sea Scrolls, are one prominent example of a gnostic sect.

Taoism also contains a fundamentally gnostic principle.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@949havoc
Authoritarianism is amplified by censorship.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@949havoc
Yep......It's all organic data processing.

Amazing when you come to process it.

That an amalgamated and stylized lump of independent organic goo can internally process data.

Did this occur by chance.... No GOD

Was this designed.....A GOD from somewhere.

Or was this and inevitable phase of an inevitable process.....A GOD principle.

I tend to run with the latter......No worship required.

All nonetheless, Creation Hypothesising.

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@RationalMadman
It is the religious right-wing that invented censorship and fake news both.
You have heard of China, haven't you? And the former Soviet Union? And gee just about every left wing government? 

what nonsense you spout. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
The atheist personality demands that they be as different from everyone else as possible. Therefore their views beliefs and actions are often as counter to what might be considered the norm. There are more theist than atheists so therefore they are anti-theists it's just the way it works with them. As far as why do people get bent out of shape if I walked into your house and I told you I hated the color of your walls, I hated your curtains, your floor pattern that you picked out looks like you're probably mentally ill and you're obviously too stupid to buy furniture you would be upset too. They insult one of the very core parts of our being and something that's important to us on a daily basis and the fact that you can't figure that out makes me wonder exactly how your life works if nothing in your life is important enough to you you can understand the concept.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The atheist personality demands that they be as different from everyone else as possible. 

That may be true for some? But not myself, Witch. I believe the bible to have much historicity to it and believe many of the biblical characters to have existed, minus the so called  miracles.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
@Stephen
That may be true for some? But not myself, Witch. I believe the bible to have much historicity to it and believe many of the biblical characters to have existed, minus the so called  miracles.
don't forget to mention your favorite little fairy tale.  you know. the one where there is an underlying secret message for those who are "magical" enough to see it.  wow! Talk about an entire new version of the "emperor's clothes".   

949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@RationalMadman
Unlike your fake news, the Left don't directly lie in theirs. 
You seem to have some wild expectation that I watch fake news. I don't watch news, period, anymore. Things change, my friend, having naught to do with identity, by the way
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tradesecret
They mimicked. Even before Fascism itself, the concept of misinforming the populace was an ancient understanding taught by ancient imperialists of the right-wing variety.

Modern day China is right-wing in denial, in every single measurable way it is capitalistic, only in name is it left-wing.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@RationalMadman
China is not capitalistic in any manner.  It denies ownership of private property.  Its government is the Communist Party.  

For Capitalism to succeed as a free market requires non-authoritarian governments.  

To say they mimicked is itself a denial of reality.  

Fascism only came about in the 20th Century.  Monarchism existed prior to fascism. Fascism exists due to Karl Marx  and Hegel and the rejection of organized religion.  There were forms of or types of fascism before the 20th Century - but only as similar as mercantilism is to capitalism. People put convenient tags on things without properly identifying the significant differences.  

Hitler and Stalin cooperated at the beginning of WW2 not because they were similar - but were competitors.  That is the trade mark of fascist and communist societies - they destroy everything else.  That is their end game - and whatever it takes to get there- is ok. If that means China has to be nice for a while - ok. Hitler did the same thing.  

The journey is just AS important as the destination.  This is why democracy - at least theoretically is still the best of a bad lot. Every society is a theocracy - it really is a matter of what kind? Is it a communist theocracy - or a fascist one - or a Muslim one or a Hindu one or a secular one or a Christian one.  

Hence - I am suggesting that religion is the basis of all worldviews and that theology determines philosophy.  Not the other way around.  My ex-philosophy lecturer disagreed with this and said it is wrong.  He was a Christian as well - for a while. But eventually turned into the one of the more fundamentalist atheists I know, leaving his wife and kids - without a penny.  

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tradesecret
That is not true though, many corporations open up there especially as the policies surrounding dirt cheap factory running costs since there's almost 0 health and safety enforcement, meaning the conditions can be as bad and cheap as possible without any compensation for injured or even dead workers (who died from overwork or on-site accident). It is an absolute haven for that and is why almost everything is at least in part 'made in China' these days.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@RationalMadman
That is not true though, many corporations open up there especially as the policies surrounding dirt cheap factory running costs since there's almost 0 health and safety enforcement, meaning the conditions can be as bad and cheap as possible without any compensation for injured or even dead workers (who died from overwork or on-site accident). It is an absolute haven for that and is why almost everything is at least in part 'made in China' these days.

Foreigners can't buy property in China.  It is not free trade. I don't agree with the assessment by Forbes.  China's riches are in the cities, not in the villages.  Poverty is still rampant in the country. It is a lot like Singapore. It hides its poor - it can't be seen to be failing. Don't believe all the propaganda you read. 

Corporations can do many things without buying property.  Capitalism requires private property and property rights to succeed.  It also requires an underlying moral system.  America is no longer really capitalist either. It has had its day. Now it is living on the inheritance of its parents.  
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
don't forget to mention your favorite little fairy tale. 

Which is what exactly? 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
don't forget to mention your favorite little fairy tale. 

Which is what exactly? 
You know the one you really love to read and get excited about.  The secret gospel of ...  ?????  

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
An archaic creation hypothesis and ensuing myths and legends are understandable.

Though some people have exceeded such archaic understanding.

Some of those people also understand how and why, such archaic information is so easily perpetuated.

Not in truth, but in inheritance.

Sadly in terms of human understanding, you are tending  to call the kettle black Poly.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
I understand atheist hate filled rhetoric just fine thanks.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Well, given your rhetoric, do you really understand the enormity of hate.

There's a huge difference between philosophical disagreements and hate.

Are you not just intolerant of an opposing point of view.

You accept without question, ideologies that cannot be proven, so it's only to be expected that such ideologies will be questioned.

780 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@949havoc
One 'could argue,
That one realizes other beliefs and methods are 'workable,
Or at least adoptable by people.

One's preference and force of conflict, subtle or blatant,
Becoming what 'is.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The theory of allowance of other views,
Might assume that people will choose the 'best values, (Which one often assumes is one's own)

But such assumes that other people have similar values and base give ins,
But values and base give ins differ,
The same conclusions are not reached.

People often value their preferences, their tribe,
Be the reason people oppose various views, I'd suppose,
Lest their own preferences, values, and tribe, be washed away.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Course, tolerance and an appreciation of freedom, are not uncommon ideals,
As well as other paths, that encourage competition.

Such as an appreciation of how variety and newness, can be used to polish one's own values.