A theory of mine

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 24
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
us population - Bing states that about 330 million people live in the US.

Roughly 10% of the US's population is highschool or college aged.

Therefore, there are about 33 million people in the US that are highschool or college aged.

Lets say that 50% of people in this age group have a minimum wage job.

That would mean that about 17 million highschoolers and college aged people have a minimum wage job in the US.

But the BLS confirms that this number is only about 1 million.

How can these numbers be so drastically different?

My idea is that the BLS is keeping track of Non simulated people, whereas what we think is true is for ALL people (which includes non simulated and simulated people).  If this is the case, then for every 1 non simulated person in the US, there are about 16 simulated people.

If most people are simulated, how do we know who is real and who is fake?  I could be a fake human for all you know and so are 90% of the people you, "know".
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@TheUnderdog
There are factors being ignored:
1. "Let's say..." Is that supposed to be a valid statistic?
2. You're attempting to blend two statistics that may not necessarily correlate: population in an age group, and number of jobs held.
3. Is there supposed to be a job available for each person, regardless of age group?
4. What if one person has more than one job?
5. School-aged people may also have higher-paying jobs, or no jobs. You stated stats do not speak to either condition.
6. The assumption of "simulated people" is evidence of too much A.I. on the brain.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@949havoc
"Let's say..." Is that supposed to be a valid statistic?
I know that the proportion of highschoolers with a minimum wage job is higher than 3%, and since it's higher than 3%, it means that some people are simulated.

What if one person has more than one job?
Then this would skew the statistics.  But unless the typical minimum wage highschooler has 16 different jobs at once, I find this hard to believe.

School-aged people may also have higher-paying jobs, or no jobs. You stated stats do not speak to either condition.
I doubt a highschooler has a high chance of having a job other than a minimum wage job.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@TheUnderdog
about 330 million people live in the US.
Roughly 10% of the US's population is highschool or college aged.

13.9% of US pop is 15-24 yrs old

Therefore, there are about 33 million people in the US that are highschool or college aged.
39.1 million

Lets say that 50% of people in this age group have a minimum wage job.
Why would we say that when it is so far from accurate?  In 2017, 542,000 workers earned the Federal min wage of $7.25/hr., about half of these, or 271,000 are under 25 yrs old.  These numbers have declined during the pandemic but official numbers aren't out yet.

17.2 million 15-25 year olds have a job and only 271,000, or 1.5% make minimum wage.  You overestimated the percentage of young workers on minimum wage by about 33 times.

That would mean that about 17 million highschoolers and college aged people have a minimum wage job in the US.
Ouch, way off.  You overestimated the number of under 25 minimum wage workers by about 100 times, or two orders of magnitude.

But the BLS confirms that this number is only about 1 million.
Nope.  BLS estimates that number at less than 270,000.

Because you overestimated by about hundred times.

My idea is that the BLS is keeping track of Non simulated people, whereas what we think is true is for ALL people (which includes non simulated and simulated people).  If this is the case, then for every 1 non simulated person in the US, there are about 16 simulated people.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not keep track of simulations.

If most people are simulated,
They aren't.

how do we know who is real and who is fake? 
Look at them with your eyes.

I could be a fake human for all you know and so are 90% of the people you, "know".
That's a lot of fantasy wafting off of your bad math.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
If somebody makes just a penny over minimum wage it wouldn't count in these statistics would it?

So I would examine some number like how many people make less than $12 an hour or some other shit level of pay. I think standard of living can be dramatically different between 15 and 12 and hour and barely any difference between 12 and 9, so 12 is fair. What percent of people make less than $12 an hour?
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
I could be a fake human for all you know and so are 90% of the people you, "know".
That's a lot of fantasy wafting off of your bad math
It could be, but have you ever argued with a solispsist?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
 have you ever argued with a solispsist?
How would I know if I had?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
 In 2017, 542,000 workers earned the Federal min wage of $7.25/hr., about half of these, or 271,000 are under 25 yrs old.  These numbers have declined during the pandemic but official numbers aren't out yet.
No way is the number this low in the entire nation.  I'm in college.  Most of the people I know are working minimum wage jobs.  It can't be only 271,000 in the entire nation.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not keep track of simulations.
This is correct, but most people are simulations because there is no way there are only 271,000 minimum wage workers under the age of 25 in the whole country.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Wylted
I think I am a solispsist based on my understanding of the world, unless my city has an extremely unusually high concentration of minimum wage workers under the age of 25.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@TheUnderdog
 Most of the people I know are working minimum wage jobs.  It can't be only 271,000 in the entire nation.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@TheUnderdog
I know that the proportion of highschoolers with a minimum wage job is higher than 3%
Why does that imply simulations? I NEVER held a min wage job, even beginning work in high school. I always earned more than min wage. always had higher paying jobs; one summer, I* was more than double min wage. Takes having skills, which is what school is supposed to accommodate. Tell me how having courses like some suggest - LGBTQ nonsense, for example, is supposed to increase my wages? 

(Having more than one job) Then this would skew the statistics.
No one works more than one job? I find that hard to believe. One summer, I had three part time jobs to make the equivalent of on e full, so I know you're selling nonsense.

I doubt a highschooler has a high chance of having a job other than a minimum wage job.
Doubt all you like. My first reply above says you're doubt is unfounded, or are kids today dumber and less skilled than my generation. I don't think so, but, then again, teaching last year seemed to be higher skilled than many teachers were willing to display.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@drlebronski
My experience I think is more than anecdotal.  Are you saying that the town I'm in has a (proportion of highschoolers and college aged people) that work minimum wage jobs is 16x higher than the national average?  I'd have a hard time believing that.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@949havoc
 I NEVER held a min wage job
Your story is not the story of 97% of people.  It might be the story for roughly half the country.  But the data says your story is the story for 97% of people and I don't think the figure is nearly this high.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@TheUnderdog
I don't think the figure is nearly this high.
And yet, the best data you are able to present other than "I don't think" is "Let's say..."

Let's say you need better data and stop thinking you know what it is and is not.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@TheUnderdog
Your math was good and followed logically from your assumptions, therefore if your conclusion was wrong then one or more assumptions were wrong.

Your assumptions were:

1) About 33 million people in this age bracket exist

2) About 50% of the people in this age bracket have minimum wage jobs

One or more of these assumptions is incorrect.

Probably number 2, as you seem to have pulled it out of your ass.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@TheUnderdog
In my experience relatively few minimum wage jobs exist. The only minimum wage job in my area that I am aware of is the people that work the desk at my gym. Most entry level jobs that pay very little such as cashier or food delivery people are paid several dollars per hour more than minimum wage.

The fact that you personally are unable to obtain a job that pays more than minimum wage does not mean that everyone else in your age group is similarly unable to do so.
949havoc
949havoc
I wonder what the hype of min wage is all about since it represents no-skill labor, and was never meant to sustain more than one individual, and at that, no one who must also cover the cost of a roof overhead. It was never meant to sustain a family, but Democrats seem motivated by low-goal orientation for whatever reason. Personally, I'd aim higher, but, whatever floats the boat. No wonder Democrats want student loan debt forgiveness, free college education, free childcare, and a living wage just for being alive. They know min wage will never cover that stuff. In the end, they're for womb-to-tomb sustenance with no self-responsibility to earn a decent wage. A defeatist attitude all the way around. Sorry, my taxes will pay for people who cannot work, but people who will not work ought to get nothing out of anybody. Maybe then they'd realize the worth of a real job.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
In my 57 years on this planet I have yet to see, know or meet anyone who works for minimum wage or ever worked for minimum wage. My son in high school working part time at McDonalds started at $11.50 an hour.  Only a truly worthless freaking moron would agree to work for minimum wage.  Anyone who would agree to work for minimum wage would cost that  business more than they pay them in lost productivity, waste, breakage, mistakes, theft the list goes on and on.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Just as they came from Poland to the U.K.....To work for what previously was an unimaginable fortune (minimum wage).

They probably come from Mehico to the U.S. in their droves, to do the same.

Wealth is relative to expectation.

Thank goodness for "freaking moronic" Poles (and all other subsequent hard working migrants) is all that I can say. They keep all manner of British businesses going.

Certain freaking moronic lazy Brits would sooner sit on their arses all day, rather than lift a finger....OOOOOOOH RSI.

RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
In UK the minimum wage is slightly higher and cost of living is lower for the poor than in US (free healthcare for starters) so in UK entry level jobs really are close to minimum wage if they're blue collar. Just clarifying for context, in the US it's less livable by far due to everything relatively costing more (I really mean everything).
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
For sure,  comparisons are not that simple.

My point was, that people are still prepared to cross borders in search of any income.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@zedvictor4
My point was, that people are still prepared to cross borders in search of any income.
Virtually all breeds of animals do, trading income for food, and it's easy to postulate.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@949havoc
I've no idea what that sentence is trying to tell me, or how it relates to the Udog's theory.

Perhaps it's cynicism or sarcasm or even genuinely meant to be metaphorical.

You will need to elaborate.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@zedvictor4
Animals obviously do not have incomes; payment for work performed. They effectively live under a system of hunter-gatherer status. Thus, unconsciously, they "trade" income, which they don't have, for food, which they typically, in a balanced eco-system, have in abundance.