Killing me softly

Author: ethang5

Total: 13
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Ever heard the song, Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack?

Parts of the lyrics go...
Telling my whole life with his words

I felt all flushed with fever, embarrassed by the crowd
I felt he'd found my letters and read each one out loud
He sang as if he knew me, in all my dark dispair...

That was the exactly the impression I got reading the Bible. It was so true to my understanding of human nature, so true to what is within me, that I was "flushed and embarrassed". The Bible's authors were telling my whole life with their words.

Is this psychological? For the exact thing seems to have happened to millions of people all of different ethnicities, races, nationalities, genders, and ages.

And no other work of literature has had such a profound, lasting, or universally influential effect on humanity as the Bible has.

How could the human response to the Bible be only psychological?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
You're going all slushy, you big softy.

Do you sing this one to the lovely Mrs E every morning.

Myself, I find the bible as profound as a currant bun.

Though hang on.

Currant buns are sometimes used as an analogy for the formation of the Universe.

Damn!
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@ethang5
And no other work of literature has had such a profound, lasting, or universally influential effect on humanity as the Bible has.

How could the human response to the Bible be only psychological?
A superb insight and conclusion.
I once took an undergraduate course studying the Bible as literature without any emphasis on it being any more than that. It was an interesting course, for which the final exam was an essay on some aspect of what we had studied. I decided to present the attempt of Abraham's obedience to God by his agreement to sacrifice his only son, Isaac as an allegory of God's own torment to ultimately offer his own son, Jesus Christ, to be crucified by evil men who understood nothing of who they had in the midst, and I don't mean the Romans.

No, the Bible is so much more significant than mere psychology.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Do you sing this one to the lovely Mrs E every morning.
Not unless I want her to run screaming out of the room.

Myself, I find the bible as profound as a currant bun.
Uneducated people have a similar opinion of school.

I ask if the bibles effect on humanity is psychological, and you tell me (again) about your unbelief! But you aren't a liberal.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@949havoc
No, the Bible is so much more significant than mere psychology.
Thank you. I've always thought so, even before I was a Christian. The fact that the Bible is an unequaled as a work of literature is evident. Anyone dismissing it only displays their ignorance, no religion needed.
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@ethang5
Spot on.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
You seem to conflate religion and politics. Resulting in the assumption that all christians are conservative and all non-religious people are liberals.

Perhaps that is why the U.S. is apparently so divided.

So once more for the record....I am atheist, apolitical and eclectic....As defined by conditioning relative to age and location.

Which I suppose makes me liberal in terms of tolerance, yet underpinned with a mildly conservative mind set.

Sort of...As long as it doesn't impinge upon my lifestyle, then someone else's life choices don't bother me.

On the fence Mr E.

And give my regards to the lovely Mrs E.
ethang5
ethang5
I think this is why all great literature is considered great. From Animal Farm, to Old Man and the Sea, to Lord of the Flies, if it is true to human nature, and has deep insight to the human condition, it will strike a chord.

This principle works for even movies, music, dance  and even cartoons. The Far Side, Calvin &Hobbs, and Charlie Brown astounded readers with their insight.

It even works with relationships. You meet someone who understands you, how gets what you feel, can relate to what's happening inside of you, and can see the world as you do, and you fall in love.

That is how the Bible has made millions of people feel. 6,000 rears later, the Bible still has no equal. So the haters, having found they cannot fight it, have decided to simply cancel it.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
You seem to conflate religion and politics. Resulting in the assumption that all christians are conservative and all non-religious people are liberals
Perhaps that is why the U.S. is apparently so divided.
So America is divided because I'm right.

So once more for the record....I am atheist, apolitical and eclectic....As defined by conditioning relative to age and location.
You are not apolitical. Not unless TDS is a symptom of political objectivity.

You may be eclectic about some things, but politics sure isn't one of them. 

Which I suppose makes me liberal in terms of tolerance, yet underpinned with a mildly conservative mind set.
Sort of...As long as it doesn't impinge upon my lifestyle, then someone else's life choices don't bother me.
You might be relatively less liberal to some, but calling yourself conservative is a stretch. For one thing, you are far too focused on yourself. Liberals tend to be the bellybutton gazers.

On the fence Mr E.
If the fence is in Berkly California, maybe.

And give my regards to the lovely Mrs E.
I think I'll go and wake her and give her some of my regards instead.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Because you are Right, or because you think that you are correct?

TDS?

And I didn't refer to myself as conservative.

I merely suggested that I had a mildly conservative mind set relative to conditioning....See how you typically misrepresented this comment?

So if you are desperate to attribute political labels....Then MODERATE would perhaps be applicable.

And tolerance is respect for others and their conditioned mind set.....Mr E for example.

And I certainly hope that you treat Mrs E with a little more respect than that.

12 days later

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@ethang5
so you had an emotional reaction to the bible. Ive had emotional reactions to rumi. it happens.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
can you be slightly more specific ?
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
can you be slightly more specific ?

Yeah, priviledged white people attempting to rule the world with violence based biblical non-sense, that, has some culture of good morals in it, ex love thy neighbor.

Eye for and eye is the kind of non-sense that leaves the whole world blind.