Help for the worker/staffing shortages?

Author: janesix

Total: 12
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Biden Admin halts deportations of all illegals except criminals. A bunch of new workers for the staffing shortages? Am I missing something? It seems like a good thing to me.

This is a big country, we have room.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@janesix
Sorry, we’re full. Pay living wages to your employees and you won’t have a worker shortage.

Unless your position is to have a class of people undercutting Americans by getting paid under the table?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
It's part of the great replacement.

Biden says that's a good thing.

It's NOT OK to be white or have Euro-American values.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@janesix
Biden Admin halts deportations of all illegals except criminals. A bunch of new workers for the staffing shortages? Am I missing something? It seems like a good thing to me.

This is a big country, we have room.
Certainly the tightened restrictions on both legal and illegal immigration over the past twenty years coupled with the pandemic have demonstrated that there are a lot of jobs that Americans don't do/ won't do anymore.  Whole industries are collapsing for want of illegal workers.  

We are a nation of, by, and for immigrants- the most diverse nation on Earth and the most prosperous because of that diversity.

I don't argue that we should therefore simply employ untracked immigrants illegally- quite the opposite.   I think the North American trading block should be expanded  to include labor and that immigration should be controlled by all three countries at the limits of North America.   Mexicans and Canadians should be permitted to legally work and reside in the US, pay taxes, access healthcare, education, etc without changing their citizenship.  Americans can likewise seek long term employment in Mexico or Canada without changing citizenship.   All three nations share the security of North America.  Overland immigration is checked at the short, easy to secure Southern Border of Mexico and three navies secure overseas immigration.

I would like to see more immigration to the US but on a less egalitarian standard.  We should set the standard high and according to the short term needs of business.  If we need more nurses, gardeners, and civil engineers then we prioritize those skill sets in immigration.  I think we should worry less about setting quotas by nation and concentrate on filling gaps in the labor market, although keeping immediate families together is a priority.   To this end,  big business should be doing most of the recruiting and sponsorship of immigrants.

As has always been true in the US, illegal immigration can be halted at any time simply be locking up the employers who pay the table rather than the employees who receive under the table payments.  The employers are the ones breaking the laws their business depends on while employees are desperate.  Ultimately, illegal immigration is a phony problem that can be solved tomorrow by going to the source of the crime.
janesix
janesix
-->
@bmdrocks21
Wages are 15 plus an hour here at places like McDonalds and retail stores. A lot of these places are also now offering benefits.  Looks like a living wage to me.  No one wants these jobs.

My bf supported us (five people) on 15 dollars an hour (or less) for a long time ( I have a very small income of my own). It's all about frugality.  He even  saved enough for a house down payment, owns two vehicles (one is his work truck, a piece but it works) and has saved again another decent amount since the down payment. Our house is small but nice and we keep it and our moderately sized yard nice. I garden now for some of our food, compost for free fertilizer (and it's organic of course). Our phones are five years old. Our computer is older. We wear out things till they break and only then do we buy new ones. I only have to pay 350 for groceries per month for 4 people (one is out on his own now). I have a large pantry and two freezers, both which I got for free. So I only ever shop sales. Smoking is my one expensive luxury. Frugality. It's hard to believe people complain about minimum wage type incomes. I was poor growing up, but my mother was anything but frugal. I do everything the opposite of what she does, and I live well on a small income. I don't throw away anything that is usable still. I am a bit of a hoarder, but very well organized.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Greyparrot
What are Euro-American values?
janesix
janesix
-->
@oromagi
Interesting, some things to look into that I had no idea about.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Brazil is more diverse than America and isn't anywhere near as prosperous. The idea that diversity= prosperity or diversity=competence in a meritocracy needs to get flushed down the toilet where it belongs.

Ownership of private property protected by law is the reason, not "diversity"

Besides, America is becoming more monolithic in thought as the authoritative left takes over, destroying any semblance of diversity along with the laws protecting private property as we march into a new age of monolithic Marxism where all dissenters are not tolerated with violence if necessary.

America is done. We had a good run. Even the Soviet Union didn't last as long.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@janesix
European-Americans tend to value individualism and independence. They believe in responsibility for self—that individuals, not fate, control their destinies. European-Americans in general have a logical, problem-solving learning style.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
The Great Replacement.

I must admit.

It's one of those conspiracy theories, that cannot be totally ignored.

And me the great sceptic that I am.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Greyparrot
Everything ends, it is the nature of things.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
It's one of those conspiracy theories, that cannot be totally ignored.
Individualism is the bane of totalitarian dictators and central planners.