Happy Columbus Day!

Author: triangle.128k

Total: 28
triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
Just thought I'd wish DebateArt a happy Columbus Day!
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@triangle.128k
Christopher Columbus was an actual monster and a poor navigator who never actually discovered anything that wasn't already discovered. 
BigPimpDaddy
Debates: 5
BigPimpDaddy
-->
@triangle.128k
I second secularmerlin, he was a retard that thought the earth was shaped like a pear and he was even sent to prison by his own people for terrible crimes against natives.

You had to SUPER bad to go to jail for crimes against natives back then.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
True.

Everywhere was where it always had been.

There was nothing to discover.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@zedvictor4
There was nothing to discover.
But there were nine year old native girls to sell into sexual slavery. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
You had to SUPER bad to go to jail for crimes against natives back then.
You certainly did
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
  • I, for one, am not a fan of judging historical figures by modern standards.
  • I can't help but admire Columbus' feats of navigation, leadership, and bold exploration.
  • To choose to go a way that no man has gone before, to achieve it, document it, repeat it  and then profit by it- those are qualities to admire in any explorer in any time.

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
To be clear, you are saying that human trafficking, brutal bullying and degradation, genocide and profiting from slave labour (in the Caribbean that already began during his era, he inspired the concept of slavery amongst the invaders) are things you're fine with.

He also took a much larger degree of credit for the discoveries than he deserved. He accidentally came ashore to the Caribbean islands which he was sure was part of India and later to the shore that he thought was India 'for real' (the US). 

Before you say that I'm twisting your words here, if something is only wrong in 'modern eyes' it means you think at some point that was completely fine to be doing. Do I understand you correctly?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
-->@oromagi
To be clear, you are saying that human trafficking, brutal bullying and degradation, genocide and profiting from slave labour (in the Caribbean that already began during his era, he inspired the concept of slavery amongst the invaders) are things you're fine with.
I said nothing of the kind.  Please quote these passages exactly.

He also took a much larger degree of credit for the discoveries than he deserved. He accidentally came ashore to the Caribbean islands which he was sure was part of India and later to the shore that he thought was India 'for real' (the US). 
Because he stuck his ship in the trade winds and blasted West past the point of no return with no means to gauge his speed and no knowledge of the distance of his destination.  Fuck man, that is gutsy.  Try being the Captain of that fucking ship when the food went bad.
Before you say that I'm twisting your words here, if something is only wrong in 'modern eyes' it means you think at some point that was completely fine to be doing. Do I understand you correctly?
I know this is a lesson you have not yet learned but there's a world of difference between acknowledging wrongdoing and claiming the right the judge.  Just as I am confident that future generations will fault me for enjoying football and horseracing and eating meat and wasting oil  and recognizing the wrong in these but hoping not to be judged too harshly for being a man of my time, I claim no right to judge what men did to survive an age that I would likely find unbearable.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
world of difference between acknowledging wrongdoing and claiming the right the judge.
no there isn't, or else you couldn't call it wrongdoing.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
As I said, I know this is a lesson you have not yet learned 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I had a nihilistic phase as a teen. So, if that's a lesson, I unlearned it instead of never considering it.

This whole 'you can't judge anyone' ethos is all good and fun until you come face to face with actual rape, actual human trafficking, actual horror.

You need only to see some documentaries to begin to grasp the depth of what you're saying is okay. Fuck off telling me I'm not 'learning' that I can't judge what you literally admit is wrongdoing.

You can't call it wrongdoing if you aren't judging it as wrong. It's that simple. The only way to say it's okay is to then judge beyond that judgement but believe me what columbus did was not okay, the guy was the epitome of psychopathy meeting sociopathy. I genuinely hate him, don't need to meet him or know his 'poor boy' story. He's a scumbag whether he had a rough childhood or not.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Try being the Captain of that fucking ship when the food went bad.
He probably would have encouraged them to eat each other for all I fucking know. The guy had no morals that I can notice. Unfortunately, he never led the ships so we don't know how he'd lead there.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
One thing though, you're not 'not judging him' you're just sympathising with him and idolising him instead of (what you see as) demonising him. Your positive judgement is not lack of judgement. Lack of judgement would lead you to not give a shit about this thread.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Christopher Columbus stole credit for discovering America from two Spanish brothers who actually made the voyage possible, a new book has claimed.
In a book called 'The Forgotten Brothers', author Gary Knight has accused Columbus of stealing the credit from the Pinzon brothers, who not only skippered the sister ships on the expedition, but also saved the entire mission.
"In the United States we learned about Columbus making the first voyage to America. That is total bunk and I wanted to set the record straight," Knight told 'The Telegraph'.
Knight, a former aide in the US Congress, studied scores of accounts of the story of the Columbus voyage, some dating back to the late 19th century.
He said the evidence that Columbus stole the glory is compelling.
The voyage, he said, would never have happened but for Vincente and Martin Pinzon providing ships after Columbus's original fleet was destroyed by the people of Palos in Andalucia.
"He approached the Pinzon brothers cap in hand and asked them to help him out and they cut a deal. Columbus may have been a brilliant navigator and politician but he was not a sea captain," Knight said.
"He had never had skippered a ship in his entire life," he said.
The Pinzon brothers, on the other hand, were veteran mariners who had little difficulty in recruiting crew to take part in what was potentially a dangerous voyage.
Pinzons also helped Columbus get back to Europe, even though he cowered in his cabin for much of the voyage, the book claimed.
Eventually Columbus and the brothers fell out, becoming rivals.
Columbus's version of the voyage persisted because he wrote an account.
"He was the only person to keep a journal and that is why Columbus is remembered," Knight said.

Lmao, what do you mean by 'leading the fleet'? He never did.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
Yep.

That's what happened back in the day.

People thought and cared differently.

Some still do.
BigPimpDaddy
Debates: 5
BigPimpDaddy
-->
@zedvictor4
Ehh He was sent to jail by his own men for horrific crimes against the natives.

triangle.128k
triangle.128k
Columbus mistreating the natives is a myth. Abusing natives happened either:

1. After Columbus
2. Rogue men defying the orders of Columbus
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@triangle.128k
@BigPimpDaddy
Yep.

That's perhaps what happened back in the day.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@triangle.128k
before embarassing yourself, at least try to give a disinformation source to back your false statements up.

Bergreen quotes Michele de Cuneo, who participated in Columbus's second expedition to the Americas (page 143):
While I was in the boat, I captured a very beautiful woman, whom the Lord Admiral [Columbus] gave to me. When I had taken her to my cabin she was naked — as was their custom. I was filled with a desire to take my pleasure with her and attempted to satisfy my desire. She was unwilling, and so treated me with her nails that I wished I had never begun. I then took a piece of rope and whipped her soundly, and she let forth such incredible screams that you would not have believed your ears. Eventually we came to such terms, I assure you, that you would have thought she had been brought up in a school for whores.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
After an attack by more than 2,000 Indians, Columbus had an underling, Alonso de Ojeda, bring him three Indian leaders, whom Columbus then ordered publicly beheaded. Ojeda also ordered his men to grab another Indian, bring him to the middle of his village, and "'cut off his ears' in retribution for the Indians' failing to be helpful to the Spaniards when fording a stream." (Bergreen, 170-171)

Columbus kidnapped and enslaved more than a thousand people on Hispaniola
According to Cuneo, Columbus ordered 1,500 men and women seized, letting 400 go and condemning 500 to be sent to Spain, and another 600 to be enslaved by Spanish men remaining on the island. About 200 of the 500 sent to Spain died on the voyage, and were thrown by the Spanish into the Atlantic. (Bergreen, 196-197)
same source

read for the rest
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Bergreen explains, page 204:
The Indians destroyed their stores of bread so that neither they nor the invaders would be able to eat it. They plunged off cliffs, they poisoned themselves with roots, and they starved themselves to death. Oppressed by the impossible requirement to deliver tributes of gold, the Indians were no longer able to tend their fields, or care for their sick, children, and elderly. They had given up and committed mass suicide to avoid being killed or captured by Christians, and to avoid sharing their land with them, their fields, groves, beaches, forests, and women: the future of their people.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Never suggest people on this site have a nice day, especially if it's a day off work cuz it's a federal holiday.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@zedvictor4
Yep.

That's what happened back in the day.

People thought and cared differently.

Some still do.
It was morally abhorrent then as it is now. That doesn't make Columbus other than a monster. 
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@secularmerlin
@RationalMadman
@oromagi
It was morally abhorrent then as it is now. That doesn't make Columbus other than a monster. 
Oldest city in USA is spanish city of St. Augustine in FL.  The Spanish treated native indians as humans, even if they did also treat them as slave ex, they would provide marriage services for the indians and other civilized niceties, whereas,

the British did not treat indians as humans.  There is at least one documentary of the history of Spanish and British fight for control of St. Augustine and treatment of indians even as British and Spansih were engaged with warfare on land  and at sea during this time period.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
Judging past events by todays standards.

Is easy peasy.

How do you think that you would have behaved back in the day aboard the Santa Maria?

Humanity has moved on 500 years, or hadn't you realised?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@zedvictor4
Yes hind sight is twenty twenty but part of that is admitting when a historical figure is not really worth celebrating 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Columbus, Indigenous People, don't care. They didn't give me school off for it