Is there a medium in the house?

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 53
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
If you can talk to spirits of the dead then by all means please demonstrate. I knew some people that didn't make it out of life alive. Can you send me a message from them that is not a Barnum statement?
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@secularmerlin
I'm sensing an F... maybe a name?... Fred? Fiona? No? It doesn't have to be a name... maybe something happened in February? They died in February? or uh... their birthday? No? Your birthday? Maybe F for Friday? No?!?! Damn, I usually get it by now. Uhhh... were they a father? Anyone's father? Did they have a father?

You know what, nevermind... How about an M? Sensing an M now...
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Baiting. For a group that claims to be so above the rest of us you're awfully good at being shallow and petty.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
This seems like a pretty reasonable request to me. Also I'm not above anyone. I actually skew pretty egalitarian. That you have beliefs that are unsupported by logic and evidence doesn't make you less worthy of dignity and respect. Just don't mistake the respect I show for your beliefs for the respect I afford you.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I'm sensing an F... maybe a name?... Fred? Fiona? No? It doesn't have to be a name... maybe something happened in February? They died in February? or uh... their birthday? No? Your birthday? Maybe F for Friday? No?!?! Damn, I usually get it by now. Uhhh... were they a father? Anyone's father? Did they have a father?

You know what, nevermind... How about an M? Sensing an M now...
It was my dog Quimby. How did you know? That was amazing. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
It's out there to be baited.

And one could have put money on who would have been the first baitee past the post.

Poly...Evens Favourite.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Hate filled people do what they do. Should be deleted.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Hate......A powerful emotion.

And often referred to, glibly.

Once again.....If you are referring to me.

I love you Poly.....In so much as love is a glib word, used glibly.

Debate isn't about pats on the back.....Debate is generally about discussing conflicting ideas.

Disbelief Poly.....Nothing so intense as hatred.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Should be deleted.
Censorship is unamerican poly. I've never called to censor you.

Also is that to say that you don't think you could do as I have requested?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
 Baiting is about site rules. These are not debate questions especially since mediumship is not a religious practice. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@secularmerlin
@zedvictor4
Hey Moe and Larry, did you two losers know that your own Law enforcement have used mediums to solve cases they were unable to?

"While law enforcement agencies don’t like to say so publicly, the truth is that they often consult with mediums to help them solve crimes and uncover new leads. When a case has gone cold, and investigators have nowhere else to turn, they seek the guidance of those in touch with the beyond."
"6 Real-Life Mediums Who Helped Solve Murder Mysteries"

"In law enforcement, it is not something that is widely accepted. However, the majority of detectives who I worked with admitted to going to crime scenes and asking deceased victims for help in solving their murders. I even know a homicide lieutenant who used a psychic to locate a body only to say he’d never admit that publicly for fear of ridicule."
"Psychic Mediumship in Law Enforcement
Psychic abilities are used in police work."

"Meet The Medium Who Helps Law Enforcement Solve The Unsolvable"

"these crimes solved by psychics might make you rethink any doubts you had surrounding the idea that psychics really exist. These are cases of missing persons and murders, cases when police and investigators kept hitting dead ends, left empty-handed and still with no answers. Then a psychic stepped in... and the cases were soon closed."

"Just because some so-called psychics are full of hooey, it doesn't mean no one out there has psychic abilities. In fact, a psychic played an invaluable role in solving each of these mysteries."

BTW Larry, clairvoyant abilities don't necessarily equate to "talking to spirits of the dead" there are many ways in which a person can receive insight from spiritual beings or human souls that have passed on. In most cases mediums aren't hearing voices in their heads, rather they simply allow their intuition to be influenced by person, places or things outside their own personal experiences.
Since it is a trust based influence it can't be 100% accurate but it is something people will turn to when desperate for information that cannot be obtained any other way. I get insights about people all the time (more so when I was younger) but I rarely approach an individual about it, usually I look for ways the information can be useful to the person by how I treat them or perhaps pray for them. I look for ways I can fulfill what it is they are needing or looking for in life rather than trying to use it to my own advantage by touting it.
I certainly don't promote going down to your local psychic shop and paying to have your palm read but I acknowledge the functional and useful practice of spiritual gifts. I fully understand such a role and I can tell you that no real person that has real clairvoyant abilities is going to come to this forum and be tested by clowns making a mockery out of spirituality. Laugh now cry later, that is the principle by which all of us will suffer.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@EtrnlVw
Quite simply.

And despite what you might choose to believe.

No one can actually receive insight from spiritual beings or human souls.

End of story as far as I am concerned.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Baiting is about site rules. These are not debate questions especially since mediumship is not a religious practice. 
Is it baiting to ask a serious question? Even if you don't expect a satisfying answer? And if it isn't religious then what is it? It certainly isn't science,math or phylosophy.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Hey did you know that police sometimes resort to 'lie detector' machines to solve a case? I only mention because that is bad science too. There are no lie detector machines and there are no mediums, at least there seems to be no efficacy to either one. What can I say cops, not being scientists themselves, are sometimes taken in by bad science.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Just by the way ever seen Psyche? Great comedy and the most effective psychic on television. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@EtrnlVw
@Polytheist-Witch
If you really want to prove wrong simply provide what I originally asked for. Any information provided by any spiritual source that is not Barnum statement. 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@secularmerlin
beliefs that are unsupported by logic and evidence
These account for many things - like the principles of logic, or perhaps science. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tradesecret
These account for many things - like the principles of logic, or perhaps science. 
Their efficacy in solving problems and improving the human condition are proof of their efficacy. Religious and superstitious thinking do not have the same track record. Quite the opposite in fact.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Oh so if it's something you don't really know anything about you just shove it into a religion because that's what you think all the stuff you don't like or think of as stupid should go. Mediumship has nothing to do with religion. You don't have to be religious and claim to be a medium all you have to believe is that you talk to spirit. Most religions don't even say they support mediumship. So it would fall under I don't know paranormal, occult, metaphysical let's find some other word besides religion which I'm sure you shove all those into religion too even though none of them involve a f****** god.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
So it would fall under I don't know paranormal, occult, metaphysical let's find some other word besides religion which I'm sure you shove all those into religion too even though none of them involve a f****** god.
Religion does not require a deity but I can accept that one could genuinely believe in medium ship without being specifically religious. Still faith based belief is as faith based belief does and spirituality the occult and metaphysics suffer from the same problem of insufficient evidence that religion does. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Well since your opinion is only important to atheists no one who might be practicing anything that falls in any of those categories really cares what your take on any of this is. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
That faith based beliefs have a problem with sufficient evidence isn't really an opinion poly.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I'm not required to provide evidence to anyone in order for me to have a religious or spiritual practice. It's called freedom you should try to get a book and read about it.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I'm not required to provide evidence to anyone in order for me to have a religious or spiritual practice
Agreed but in that case don't be surprised when others remain unconvinced and maybe don't frequent public debate forums if you have objections to explaining your position.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
At the very least it seems unreasonable to be surprised when you are asked since tat is the purpose of a debate site.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I'm in the forum I'm not in the form of debate area.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I'm in the forum I'm not in the form of debate area.
The entire server is called debate art... I'd say that was your first clue. Is there a reason if you dislike being intruded upon by atheists specifically so much why you don't find a server specifically for theists? Then at least there would be no arguing with you that you shouldn't expect to be bothered by skepticism.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
I would miss you but I want you to be happy
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull

The cheapest i can do it for is. 
$48.30    for 3 msg to the dead.
Or $25.10  per msg. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I'll need a sample first... just to be sure.

Buyer be aware yeah? Don't want to get ripped off.