Topic's posts

Posts in total: 12
  • Mharman
    Mharman avatar
    Debates: 12
    Forum posts: 2,293
    Mharman avatar
    Mharman

If you were to count the votes on this debate, you would think con won 14-0. But when you look at the screen, the counter displays that con won 21-7. What the heck?

That's when it hit me. If a voter picks "tie" on any category, it will award points to both pro and con. That's stupid. Please make it so that no points are awarded for ties.
  • DebateArt.com
    DebateArt.com avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 1,229
    DebateArt.com avatar
    DebateArt.com
    --> @Mharman
    Yeah, you are not the first one to complain about it, I will fix it at some point, it's just not really a priority at this point. Hopefully I'll fix it this month though. 
  • Raltar
    Raltar avatar
    Debates: 4
    Forum posts: 155
    Raltar avatar
    Raltar
    Cool. That makes sense to me as well. 

Particularly the "conduct" category. I've seen a lot of debates where I really hated the idea of either participant getting any points from that category.
  • David
    David avatar
    Debates: 79
    Forum posts: 1,173
    David avatar
    David
    I fully agree
  • 3RU7AL
    3RU7AL avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 6,300
    3RU7AL avatar
    3RU7AL
    --> @Mharman
    Since a stalemate is a draw game, in tournament chess or scoring chess, each side would score half a point.
    If the point is to encourage debate, it seems that some minimum points should be awarded for a tie.

• Mharman
    Mharman avatar
    Mharman avatar
    Mharman
    --> @3RU7AL
    No. It's doesn't encourage anything. It's basically just consolation points for losing.     
  • Raltar
    Raltar avatar
    Raltar avatar
    Raltar
    Yeah, the points have no effect unless you have more of them than your opponent at the end. So even if you get a vote where the voter says you tied in three categories, but he gives the fourth category to your opponent, that is still functionally a vote for your opponent. From a purely mechanical standpoint, it doesn't actually matter if a tie awards equal points or no points, because the outcome is the same.
  • Raltar
    Raltar avatar
    Raltar avatar
    Raltar
    The problem with a tie awarding points to both parties is that it psychologically suggests that both parties did well in that category, but usually when I give a tie it is because both parties were equally bad.
  • 3RU7AL
    3RU7AL avatar
    3RU7AL avatar
    3RU7AL
    --> @Mharman
    No. It's doesn't encourage anything. It's basically just consolation points for losing.
    Rewarding participation encourages participation.

It takes a fair amount of effort to compete in a formal debate.

If I have no faith in the impartiality of the judges or the fair mindedness of my random opponent, a point for a tie seems a small thing to ask.

Also, a tie is not a loss.
  • Mharman
    Mharman avatar
    Mharman avatar
    Mharman
    --> @3RU7AL
    Giving people free points for participating isn't going to encourage anything. No one gets motivated by participation trophies.
  • 3RU7AL
    3RU7AL avatar
    3RU7AL avatar
    3RU7AL
    --> @Mharman
    Giving people free points for participating isn't going to encourage anything. No one gets motivated by participation trophies.
    This statement is provably false.
  • Mharman
    Mharman avatar
    Mharman avatar
    Mharman
    --> @3RU7AL
    *Almost no one.