REPUBLICANS AGAIN DEMONSTRATE DISINTEREST in TRUTH, JUSTICE in FAVOR of SHORT-TERM POLITICAL HITS

Author: oromagi

Total: 12
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
In FATAL SHOOTING, SOME POLITICAL FOES TAKE AIM at BALDWIN
By JAKE COYLE

NEW YORK (AP) — Details are still emerging about how Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed a cinematographer on a New Mexico film set, but some political onlookers swiftly assigned guilt to one of Hollywood’s most prominent liberals.

Right-wing pundits and politicians have long chafed at Baldwin’s criticism of former President Donald Trump and his Trump parody on “Saturday Night Live.” They wasted little time zeroing in on the actor who pulled the trigger. The hashtag #AlecForPrison ricocheted around Twitter.

Within hours of the shooting, Ohio Republican Senate candidate J.D. Vance asked Twitter to let Trump back on the social media platform that banned him after the Capitol insurrection. “We need Alec Baldwin tweets,” Vance wrote.

By Monday, Trump’s oldest son was selling $28 T-shirts on his official website with the slogan “Guns don’t kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people.” The post was later removed.

Gun violence has long divided the country, but the fact that some observers seemed to revel in Baldwin’s role in the shooting added a political dimension to the tragedy. CNN host Jake Tapper on Sunday called Hutchins’ death “heartbreaking for normal people.”

“But there’s something about our politics right now that is driving people away from our shared humanity,” Tapper said.

Court records provided some details about the death of Halyna Hutchins on the set of “Rust” near Santa Fe, New Mexico. Authorities have said that the assistant director, Dave Halls, handed the weapon to Baldwin and announced “cold gun,” indicating that the weapon was safe to use.

In an affidavit released Sunday night, the film’s director, Joel Souza, said Baldwin was rehearsing a scene in which he drew a revolver from his holster and pointed it toward the camera, which Hutchins and Souza were behind. Souza, who was wounded by the shot, said the scene did not call for the use of live rounds.

It’s not clear yet where the gun-handling protocol failed. Souza said the movie’s guns were usually checked by armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed and then again by Halls.

At least two people have aired doubts about Halls’ safety record.

In an email statement to The Associated Press, a producer for the movie “Freedom’s Path” confirmed Monday that Halls was fired from the 2019 production after a crew member suffered a minor injury “when a gun was unexpectedly discharged.” The producer, who asked not to be identified by name, wrote that Halls “was removed from the set immediately.” Production did not resume until Halls was gone.

Prop maker Maggie Goll on Sunday said she filed an internal complaint in 2019 over concerns about Halls’ behavior on the set of Hulu’s “Into the Dark” series. Goll said Halls disregarded safety protocols for weapons and pyrotechnics and tried to continue filming after the supervising pyrotechnician, who was diabetic, lost consciousness on set.

Neither Gutierrez-Reed nor Halls have responded to requests for comment on the shooting.

In the affidavit, cameraman Reid Russell said Baldwin had been careful with weapons. Russell was unsure whether the weapon was checked before it was handed to Baldwin.

In the aftermath of Hutchins’ death, many in the film industry have argued that real guns should be replaced entirely by computer-generated effects.

“There should not have been a loaded gun on set,” actor Riley Keough wrote on Instagram. “We don’t need real guns, we can make replicas, and we have CGI. In my opinion, that is the issue here. Not Alec Baldwin.”

And yet, as director Gigi Saul Guerrero observed, Baldwin has been the “face to this tragic story.” The 63-year-old actor, a vocal advocate of gun-law reforms, has been widely mocked by the far-right on social media.

“Literally not one single thing that Alec Baldwin has said about Donald Trump and his supporters is going to age well,” tweeted conservative commentator Candace Owens.

U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert, a Colorado Republican, cited a tweet of Baldwin’s last year supporting Black Lives Matter protesters in which Baldwin said he was going to make T-shirts that read: “My hands are up. Please don’t shoot me!” Wrote Boebert: “Alec Baldwin, are these still available? Asking for a movie producer.”

Boebert received widespread criticism. Actor George Takei said Boebert had “no soul.” Actress Rosanna Arquette wrote: “This was a tragic and horrible accident.

Ms. Boebart and you should be ashamed of yourself politicizing it.” But Boebert stood by her tweet.

“You crazy Blue Checks want to take away our right to defend ourselves with a firearm, and know NOTHING about basic gun safety!” Boebert wrote. “If this was a conservative celebrity you’d be calling for his head.”

The film’s chief electrician, Serge Svetnoy, blamed producers for Hutchins’ death in an emotional Facebook post Sunday. Svetnoy faulted “negligence and unprofessionalism” among those handling weapons on the set, and claimed producers hired an inexperienced armorer.

“I’m sure that we had the professionals in every department, but one — the department that was responsible for the weapons,” Svetnoy wrote. “The person who should have checked this weapon before bringing it to the set did not do it. And the DEATH OF THE HUMAN IS THE RESULT!”

A spokesman for the film’s production company, Rust Movie Productions LLC, has said it is cooperating with authorities and conducting an internal review. The company said it was halting production on the film but signaled it may resume in the future.

Baldwin has said he is cooperating with the law enforcement investigation and described the shooting as a “tragic accident.”
___
Associated Press writers Hillel Italie in New York and Lindsey Bahr in Pittsburgh contributed to this report.

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

This is right from Hitler's playbook which Trump kept a copy of right next to his bed (according to Ivana).
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

While the Nazis were focusing on putting Germans back to work in the midst of the Great Depression (Make Germay Great Again), they also unleashed attacks on their political opposition as soon as Hitler became chancellor. On the evening of February 27, 1933, alarms suddenly rang out in the Reichstag as fire destroyed the building’s main chamber. Within 20 minutes, Hitler was on the scene to declare: “This is a God-given signal! If this fire, as I believe, turns out to be the handiwork of Communists, then there is nothing that shall stop us now from crushing out this murderous pest with an iron fist.”

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@FLRW
This is right from Hitler's playbook which Trump kept a copy of right next to his bed (according to Ivana).
I believe Ivana in 1990 when she said Trump kept Hitler's speeches on his bed stand.  I am far more skeptical that he ever read them.  We know for a fact that Trump is a slow reader with poor comprehension.  Trump's biographer and ghost writer for The Art of Deal states with confidence that Trump never read an entire adult book from beginning to end in his whole life, particularly those 14 books Trump  falsely claims to have written.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Wow, didn't hear anything about this until I read this thread. Very clear that there was gross negligence at multiple levels. Looking around the net a bit there seems to be a lot of trying to pass blame on to Hall for saying the weapon was clear when it was not. If that is what happened then he is just as much at fault as Baldwin but not double checking that a weapon handed to you is clear is also unacceptable. Assuming this was an accident and not some sort of elaborate conspiracy (which seems like a reasonable assumption) Alec, Hall, and anyone else in the chain of custody are all absolutely at fault. Disgusting violation of basic weapon safety principles and terrible avoidable tragedy. If using CGI and replicas is the only alternative to expecting someone that makes my yearly salary as their weekly salary to take a few seconds out of their day every once in a while to literally save a life then by all means do that but that won't unpull this trigger.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
Sorry...A dumb British question.

But why would there need to be live ammunition on a film set?

Or real guns.

What's wrong with a projectileless replica that just goes bang?
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@zedvictor4
Thats not a dumb question nor is it exclusive to Brits. Regardless, it is a tragic mishandling.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@zedvictor4
-->@oromagi
Sorry...A dumb British question.
Live ammo is used on British film and tv sets also.  If live ammo is used, the crew must include a Registered Firearms Dealer.  If live ammo is used in a public place, police must be used to determine and enforce a safe cordon.  Otherwise, pretty much the same.

But why would there need to be live ammunition on a film set?
I don't think "need" ever enters into it.  When is art ever needful and if it is necessary, is it art?  Filmmakers like authenticity and verisimilitude in their works.   For example, actors believe they react more authentically to the louder percussion and recoil of a live shot.  Some scenes are hard to pull off as scripted without live rounds- the old cliché of shooting lined up bottles off a log, for example, can't be done with blanks.  It can be simulated or digitalized or reaction-shot but a live shot is the most believable approach.

Or real guns.
Same answer.  There are websites devoted to evaluating the type and authenticity of every gun shot in major motion pictures so there's some interest in getting it right.  Old Westerns are especially scrutinized and applauded for authenticity.  Most guns appearing in most movies/tv were manufactured to be weapons and not props.  If those guns don't need to shoot, they are typically permanently disabled.  Some prop guns are designed to shoot blanks but most blanks shot come from authentic, enabled weapons.

What's wrong with a projectileless replica that just goes bang?

Nothing except for the perceived or realized verisimilitude in film-making

oromagi
oromagi
From what I have read it seems that

• Baldwin was using an authentically old west gun that had at least one live round loaded. 
  • Officially, this was not a live round film set and there was no need or expectation of live rounds on the set
  • The gun had misfired blanks on multiple occasions in the previous 24 hrs, to the dismay of crew members
    • Most of 90 person crew belong to the IATSE union which had just made a deal on Oct 18th to prevent a popular strike
    • Set safety was a major concern of the union negotiations
    • Four crew members walked off the set in protest against the unsafe conditions earlier the same day
  • The cast and crew were rehearsing an upcoming film scene that ends with Baldwin pointing his gun at the camera, but not shooting.
    •   Although film was not running, the cinematographer and director were standing in their regular positions behind that camera.
    • We don't know whether Baldwin accidently pulled the trigger of if the gun simply went off as it had earlier
  • The rumor seems to be that after the walkout there was a break of several hours.  Some unspecified crew members passed the time by target practicing with live rounds in the vicinity and at least one of the three guns from the set was used.  This would explain the presence of live ammo on the set a few hours later
    • I'm not sure this rumor adds up- hard to believe folks would target practice with a gun that was known to be malfunctioning
      • I assume antique guns require custom ammo that would likely be too rare or expensive for target practice
        • and that ammo would be blanks, so useless for target practice
  • Both the Armorer and the Assistant Director had  previously been subject to criticism for unsafe firearms handling.  The AD had been summarily fired from one movie set for unsafe firearms handling.
    • While Baldwin is likely blameless from his perspective as an actor relying on the experts to handle his firearms, Baldwin may well be culpable as a producer of the film for being aware of these prior complaints and hiring these two anyway.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
So when they film Star Trek for instance, do they send actors out into inter-galactic space for the sake of verisimilitude?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@zedvictor4
So when they film Star Trek for instance, do they send actors out into inter-galactic space for the sake of verisimilitude?

I know you're being sarcastic but the answer will increasingly be yes as tech allows. 

• They just sent 90 yr old William Shatner into space for no reason other than Star Trek. 
  • The movie Apollo 13 famously filmed weightless scenes using NASA's Vomit Comet airplane at incredible expense.
  • Tom Cruise famously scaled the top of the World's tallest building, the Burj Kalifa in Dubai for Ghost Protocol, even though it was dangerous, expensive, and probably would have looked cooler using special effects.
I'm not defending these enterprises, I'm just relating the culture of movie-making as I understand it.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
I understand.