Putin has some points

Author: Benjamin

Total: 22
Benjamin
Debates: 92
Benjamin
When I became more interested in politics I eventually stumbled accross interviews of Vladimir Putin. I was surprised to see that he accepts interviews with American journalists, and that he answers every question clearly and politely --- unlike certain western figures. Being quite intelligent, during his long career he has accumulated a lot of knowledge. He is certainly very competent, so for me to automatically reject his viewpoints would be stupid and intelectually dishonest. I chose to listen to what he has to say, and it wasn't actually bs, but rather logical reasoning just from a perspective that wasn't American. I was compelled to rethink some of my own political and socioeconomic opinions. I wanted to share some of his viewpoints and hopefully spark some interesting discussions.

On interrnal problems of Russia:
  • Democracy can't but be based on the traditions and customs of a nation. When the USA went into Afganistan they ignored the history and traditions of the people, and therefore their attempt at enforcing democracy failed miserably. The failure of USSR and the failure of American imperialism is that neither respects nor understood other people, opting instead to enforce their own values and interests. Russia will learn from USSR's mistakes. 
  • The development of the Russian economic, social and political spheres MUST be slow and steady as to prevent revolts and revolutions. Russia has had enough revolutions. The stability of the nation and living standard of the people must have first priority. When mass rallies in the west is met and destroyed by the police, it too is lack of freedom based on a preference for stability and order. Russia is a democracy, denying it is just a matter of how you define it. There are 32 political parties in Russia, and different departments are controlled by different parties. We know that corruption in Russia is a big problem, but it unfortunately is not unique. American lobbying, for example, is legalized corruption. Instead of pointing fingers everyone should focus on solving their problems; this is what we will be doing in Russia.
  • Russia does have economic problems, but we do not print money like other countries. Our inflation is caused by being part of the world economy. We recognize the need to put much effort, focus and resources into the economy. We are also working hard to ensure that higher GDP translates into higher wages, this is a specific area of focus for the Russian administration.

On the Russian international relations. Especially with America and its allies:
  • American military excercises in Alaska, we don't care about them, its in their own territory, as such excercises should be. Russian military excercices happen regularly in the south, the east and the west, but only the war games in the west, near eastern Europe, has gotten western attention. We are viewed as aggressive despite containing our operations and infrastructure inside our own territory. Yet military infrastructure in addition to 40.000 military personell and 15.000 pieces of military equipment from Defender Europe is used in a military excercise at our southern borders, some was even airlifted there. How is Russia the aggresive one when we are the ones who keep our military excersices inside our borders? 
  • Gorbachov was promissed that NATO would not expand more towards the east. Interviewer: "where is that written down?" Putin: "Right, right. Well done, correct. You've got a point. They fooled him good". Everything should have been written down, but it wasn't. In fact, NATO has expanded, they have moved their military equipment close to our borders. America has also withdrawn from our treaties regulating the arms race, leading to both America and Russia accelerating the development of more and more advanced weapons. What was the point? And why is Russia the aggressive party? I have said it before and I will say it again, we are willing and eager to negotiate new treaties in order to again restrict and hopefully stop the new arms race of today.
  • When it comes to economy, stability and predictability are the most important. Currency doesn't matter. America apperently does not value its currency. "it is used as an instrument against competition and political struggle. This, of course, is detrimental to the dollar as a global reserve currency"  According to the world bank, among other things, settlements in dollars are shrinking. But we still prefer the dollar as an exchange currency. But we are also willing to use many other currencies for trade. We are ready to talk about transactions in Euro for gas trade, for example. Such monetary changes are acceptable to us. The way the world economy is developing, and the way America treats its currency, it is clear that multiple reserve currencies will be needed.

Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@David
@oromagi
@Intelligence_06
@Bones
@949havoc
Any thoughts?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Benjamin
You're correct.

Putin is clever and typically Russian.

I've always admired him for what he is, and what he has achieved for Russia.

It's no good expecting Russians to behave with the same sensibilities as "Western Democracies"...... Because that's just not how Russians operate.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Benjamin
Where does Russia get money if they don't print it?
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Bruh. Russia prints money of course, they do have currency. But their 7.5% inflation that Putin talked about was not caused by excessive printing in Russia, but in the world economy at large at the time. Context is key.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Benjamin
7.5% inflation
Wow, I did not realize it was so ridiculously high. That is per year, right? Holy crap. Must be a lot of inflation in all those "world at large" countries if all of that is because of them.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
The world economy took quite a hit the last year due to the pandemic and lockdowns, which we all know. Russia too felt this blow. Economy is a complicated thing, but the point made was that contrarry to many other countries, Russia does not try to solve its problems by printing new money. This was not an accusation or attempt to blame Russia's problems on someone else.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Benjamin
The world economy took quite a hit the last year due to the pandemic and lockdowns, which we all know. Russia too felt this blow
Saying "too" here kinda makes it sound like other major countries all had similar inflation situations over the same period. Is that relatively accurate? Asking out of genuine curiosity, not exactly an economics expert myself.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
You think Putin is such a wise and righteous man, understanding the deep hypocrisy and treachery of US on Middle East, eh?

Go and live in his nation, see how he runs things. Don't think you'll be able to inform us on what you find though, there's absolutely no freedom of speech.

Or, better yet, live in Crimea, ask around about Putin and how he's better than the US in how he treats other nations.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@RationalMadman
For your knowledge, no part of my initial points was my own oppinion, so don't pretend it is. Furthermore, your non-argument against Putin lacks factual support on top of failing to adress HIS arguments.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
That was a biased, western propaganda driven response.

Russia and therefore Putin, do things the Russian way.

Putin is to be expected.

If it wasn't Putin it would be someone else.

And go ask the Afghan people about the perfect U.S.A.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
HAHAHAHA you think Russia did right by Afghanistan? Russia is part of the reason why Taliban lasted so long, the only place helping them more after the US ditched them (and that was quite a while ago now) is China.

Russia is also the only international reason, yes only, why Bashar al-Assad got away with the tyrannical genocide and brutality he was dealing to his people.

What Russia does is spot anywhere and anything it can turn into a reason to profit from conflict and sides with the worst side of it, always, so that it can play underdog permanently when/if the media attacks it.

Now, I will repeat, first investigate how Russia treats its own people, not even outsiders. Then investigate how it treats nations it fancies colonising.

Russia is like the US if we mean willingness to engage in external influence via conflict, except its agenda is much more about playing permanent underdog whereas the US admits what it is; powerful and ready to engage.
China plays a different kind of ballgame, in some ways worse than both. China owns almost all of Africa now through crippling debt and forced contracts, it's also got more of a hand than Russia does in the new Afghanistan.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Benjamin
For your knowledge, no part of my initial points was my own oppinion, so don't pretend it is. Furthermore, your non-argument against Putin lacks factual support on top of failing to adress HIS arguments.
You said you agreed with it and that he has a point, making it your own opinion that he's 'got a point'. 

I needn't address the points made by a scumbag out to demonise the US when his very own nation is under his own tyrannical thumb. Putin is a gangster secret agent who hit the fucking lottery and exploited a weak spot in politics. He uses chemical weapons in other nations like UK to get rid of agents he deems an issue, he severely oppresses his own people glorifying homophobic violence and demonising anything towards the other end of the spectrum. He is not slightly a kind or noble person and what he fails to tell you in all of those points in your original posts is what Russia does just as bad and/or worse than the US, which is plentiful.

As I said, very clearly, you won't know how full of shit he is until you go and live in Russia or do some proper research into what life is like there. You're a mouthpiece for a psychopath right now, I'd recommend you to pause and research. It's not at all my responsibility to post all of Putin's corruption and thuggery here, you are free to live in your fantasy where the US is the devil and Russia is a pretty little angel.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@RationalMadman
I never said I agreed with his policies or actions. I just pointed out that he made compelling arguments when being interviewed and asked targeted questions. 

I needn't address the points made by a scumbag
You needn't adress any point, you're free to completely ignore arguments you don't want to deal with. You're also free to villanize Putin and point out dark sides with his suspiciously long rule. But when you without evidence claim that he demonises the US, thats bs. Can you please show me some of Putin's actual actions or speeches confirming that Putin glorifies homophobic violence and demonises anyone who disagree with him?

Russia does just as bad and/or worse than the US, which is plentiful.
By what measure? Economy? Military? Diplomatic relations? 

You won't know how full of shit he is until you go and live in Russia
Do you live in Russia? Are you an expert on Russia? Probably not. The notion that expertice in a field is needed to understand basic conclusions is a fallacy.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Benjamin
By what measure? Economy? Military? Diplomatic relations? 
Economically less so, the latter 2 certainly but you see Russia does it very cleverly, it plays 'defender' rather than 'attacker' to corrupt/evil regimes in general. So, its sins appear to be benevolent such as how it helped Assad.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Benjamin
 Are you an expert on Russia? Probably not. 
Compared to you I probably am. The fact you made this thread without feeling sick and ashamed at the guy you're defending tells me you either are that type of person that he is and in on it or you're a victim of his propaganda. The only way to de-victimise yourself is through your own research.

The only thing I'd gain by spoonfeeding you stuff that hurts Putin's reputation is risking my life if I ever somehow end up in Russia or with Russian authorities and also you saying 'but your source is biased against Russia'. Everyone should be biased against Russia because Russia doesn't 'play ball' it only looks out for Putin (not even Russia, Putin). Putin's agenda is literally to keep himself and his cronies in power and then die, he doesn't give a shit beyond that.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
In Mother Russia, you don’t call police

Police call you
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@RationalMadman
Sorry. I didn't know that presenting arguments backed with evidence would put your life in danger. Regardless, your expertise has surely been informative, thank you.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Benjamin
Thx for invite.  I will weigh in if time allows but coal is really our expert on this subject.  He hasn't been around much lately but I'll tag him and hope for some reply.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
As I stated, relative to the thread.

Putin is clever and typically Russian.

I never said that he was an Angel.

Nonetheless the Soviets/Russia got their fingers burnt in Afghanistan, and learned a lesson.

It was a pity that the U.S.A. didn't take the same lesson board at the time.

Would have saved 20 years, pointlessly running around Central Asia, chasing after the ghosts of the  9/11 bombers.

Anyway, the Taliban Islamists  finally gained control. 

And now they're fighting Isis.

Oh Dear me.....Does that mean that the U.S, will once again be supporting the Taliban.

What goes around comes around, as the saying goes.

And Putin and Xi, will watch and smile.

And Syria was a relatively stable nation, until us Western freedom fighters went and fucked things up.

And now they are all camped out on the Polish border seeking the warmth and friendship  of their Western saviours.

But now typically, we don't what to know them....NIMBY

And it's probably all the fault of Vlad and Alexander (No angel either).....NIMBY

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
Russia didn't get its 'finger burnt', you don't understand, it played both sides and went with the winner. Taliban doesn't hate Russia at all, in fact Russia set contracts on some US troops for the Afghani militants to attack but you only know surface-level stuff so I don't care.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
Well no.

The Soviets got their fingers burnt. Some 10 years before Vlad rose to power. (Surface level stuff)

And the Taliban plays sides..... Any side that will support it.....Previously the U.S.A....Then, perhaps Russia, China, Pakistan etc....And now probably the U.S.A again.

And someone will now be supporting Isis.

Sort of a reasonable status quo I suppose.  Concentrating the focus of Islamic instability in the wilds of Central Asia.

Destabilise the weaker Nations of the Middle East.

The nutters will go East to fight, and the moderates will flee to the West.

And as far as I know, Assad is still President of Syria.

Where to next?

Belarus maybe.

Would probably suit all the key players if Alexander was toppled.

Watch this space.

And the Chinese will keep shipping out their stuff.

And the Russians will hopefully keep pumping out their gas.